• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (1 Viewer)

Today - Caspian Gull, 4 Iceland Gulls, 3 Yellow-legged Gulls and Mediterranean Gull at Richmond Bank; Spoonbill at Parkgate; Canada Goose Spp, Red-crested Pochard and 8 Avocets at Frodsham; Marsh Harrier, Mediterranean Gull, 5 Spotted Redshanks, 5 Bewick's Swans and 2 Avocets at Burton Mere Wetlands; Hen Harrier and 1,700 Pink-footed Geese at Burton;

Yesterday - 2 Water Pipits at Neston;

CB

Last edited:
Today - Red-crested Pochard, 2 Avocets and Canada Goose Spp at Frodsham; Spotted Redshank and Hen Harrier at Burton Mere Wetlands; Greenshank at Leasowe; 41 Bramblings near Macclesfield;

CB

Today - Spoonbill, 2 Hen Harriers and Mediterranean Gull at Parkgate; Red-crested Pochard and 2 Avocets at Frodsham; Bittern at Neumann's Flash; 15 Spotted Redshanks and Marsh Harrier at Burton Mere Wetlands; Yellow-legged Gull at Richmond Bank; 4 Scaup, Eider and Mediterranean Gull at Leasowe; 170 Brent Geese, 4 Shags, Merlin and 7 Purple Sandpipers at Hilbre;

Yesterday - Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Moore NR;

CB

20+ White-fronts with Greylags & Canada's on filed near Puddington Friday afternoon.

Two adult Med Gulls with a couple of hundred B H Gulls following plough near Puddington on same day.

Hi Bradinho! Is the viewing screen to the right of reception (when viewed from imf) anything to do with you or is it the neighbour's?

Hi Bradinho! Is the viewing screen to the right of reception (when viewed from imf) anything to do with you or is it the neighbour's?

Its ours! It was always our intention to build it as it gives great views over the main scrape w/o the doulble glazing plus you can hear the birds too.

3 ruffs present at the moment

Hi,

I'm hoping to go to parkgate or Burton mer wetlands maybe this weekend?

would this be a good time to go?

Parkgate has a high tide event Saturday starting at 1000 hrs. If you are lucky the tide may reach the seawall and displace many small mammals from the marsh. Raptors will have a ball - Short-eared Owls, Hen Harriers etc are likely to show well.

I may give it a go as well.

John

Bean Goose

Good views of the Bean Goose at Budworth Mere today. The Goose was on the far spit and viewed from the boathouse side from the slipway.

Thanks to local birders Mark Taylor and Dave Hughston for the info.

PS Does anyone know for sure if this is a Tundra or a Taiga ?

Went to Frodsham marshes today for a preliminary look, not knowing where I was going or what I was looking for. Had a very bumpy ride in my Honda Civic along the "road" and scanned each field with the bins. Saw a Little Egret, pheasants and a couple of herons as well as the obligatory black-headed gulls and carrion crows. Saw a couple of birders in 4x4s.

After looking at Google Earth I expected water, and got grass - ah well, live and learn.

Any tips on Frodsham gratefully received!

I realise where I went wrong in missing the water (Tank no. 6?), instead of taking the long, straight "road" I should have branched off to the right up the single track lane and over the bank. Will do better next time. Nice close egret today though.

Thanks for the map. Is that single track okay for a normal car as the lower road that runs alongside the bank is like the surface of the moon!

You can drive all the way around No. 6 tank in an ordinary car if its dry but there are some pretty deep potholes and I wouldn't recommend it when its wet.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back