• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (3 Viewers)

I believe the locals think it is a tundra. Still missing that from my yearlist!!

CB

Tundra Bean Goose was on Neumann's Flash first thing this morning with a few Pinkfeet and its host flock of Greylags. Chance it could roost again tonight so an early start tomorrow might pay off. It had flown off by 6.45 but it clearly hanging around in the area.

Three avocets at Inner Marsh Farm today and nothing else out of the ordinary. Female bullfinch on the feeders at Burton Mere Wetlands.

Couple of shots of the avocets at IMF today. Not brilliant - taken with a Canon SX30IS at full 35x zoom (840mm) then cropped.

Attachments

• avocet_small.jpg
    avocet_small.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 42
  • avocet2_small.jpg
    avocet2_small.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 35
  • avocet3_small.jpg
    avocet3_small.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 43
Big fall of Goldcrests in 'autumnal' conditions on Hilbre this morning. Over 50 birds ringed and two 'controls' caught. First spring Wheatear ringed along with CHiffchaff's, Robins & Chaffinch. More details on Hilbre blog later this evening.

Visited Inner marsh Farm , Burton Point and Burton Mere today:

There must have been a fall of Goldcrests last night as we saw them at all three sights with the largest number at Burton point. We saw 12 in the gorse along the road at Burton point and there were certainly more we could hear but not see.
Also at Inner Marsh - 4 Avocets, male Merlin and a spoonbill

Today - 2 Caspian Gulls, Glaucous Gull, 3 Iceland Gulls, 5 Yellow-legged Gulls and 5+ Goldcrests at Richmond Bank; Firecrest, Black Redstart and Wheatear at Red Rocks plus 20 Goldcrests at Hoylake; 2 Snow Buntings, 3 Wheatears, an estimated 130 Goldcrests, 5 Chiffchaffs, White Wagtail, Merlin and 151 Brent Geese at Hilbre; Spoonbill at Burton Mere Wetlands; Water Pipit at Neston; 2 Iceland Gulls at Moore NR plus another at Sandbach Flashes; Hen Harrier and 2 Short-eared Owls at Burton Marsh; 2 Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers at Budworth Mere; Green Sandpiper at Rixton;

Quite a busy day really!

CB

Tundra Bean Goose was on Neumann's Flash first thing this morning with a few Pinkfeet and its host flock of Greylags. Chance it could roost again tonight so an early start tomorrow might pay off. It had flown off by 6.45 but it clearly hanging around in the area.

It roosted in the evening as well. Big flock of geese flew in at dusk. Majority were Greylags but did hear the Bean Goose call in amongst the flock, so alas still no sighting as it was too dark to make it out! Will try for an early morning visit on Saturday.

CB

Yesterday - ad spoonbill at BMW and imm spoonbill at Parkgate, the latter being the long stayer. There was a report of two together at Parkgate sometime last weekend so presumably it was these two. I didn't believe the report at the time!! |:(|

Last edited:
It roosted in the evening as well. Big flock of geese flew in at dusk. Majority were Greylags but did hear the Bean Goose call in amongst the flock, so alas still no sighting as it was too dark to make it out! Will try for an early morning visit on Saturday.

CB

You're not having much luck with these Bean Geese CB

Today – Black Redstart at Red Rocks; Mediterranean Gull, Little Gull and Bittern at Budworth Mere; 2 Little Gulls at Hoylake; 2 White Wagtails at Leasowe; 3 Wheatears at Hilbre plus singles at West Kirby, Red Rocks and Leasowe;

Yesterday - 11 Goldcrests and 2 White Wagtails at Red Rocks; Wheatear at Meols;

CB

Around 12:30 today over Lymm (I wasn't at home and without optics) a very probable Rough-legged buzzard drifted ever higher to the NE, though q low when I first saw it. Immediate impression was long winged buzzard type with wings flat or drooping, even kite-like in proportion.

Report of a Swallow at first light at Red Rocks this morning - but I only heard about it second hand, I don't have the name of the birder who saw it so only a 'possible' at the moment.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back