• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (6 Viewers)

Paid a visit to Lapwing Hall Pool near Chelford for the first time today. The long staying Black Necked Grebe was still present along with 4 Pintail, 3 Goldeneye, 7 Pochard, 30 Wigeon, 10 Shoveler, 2 Little Grebe and lots of Coot, Mallard, Tutfies and Canada Geese.

Feb 5th - Iceland Gull at Sandbach Flashes; Smew at Newchurch Common; Bittern at Budworth Mere; Spotted Redshank at Burton Mere Wetlands; 3 Yellow-legged Gulls and Whooper Swan at Richmond Bank; Cetti's Warbler at Marbury CP;

Feb 6th - Caspian Gull at Sandbach Flashes; Great White Egret, Water Pipit and 16 Whooper Swans at Frodsham; Iceland Gull at Oakmere; Smew at Newchurch Common; Yellow-legged Gull and Mediterranean Gull at Pickering's Pasture; Bittern at Budworth Mere; Mediterranean Gull at Winsford Flash; Mandarin at Hale; Marsh Tit and 38 Bramblings at Woolston Eyes;

CB

Feb 7th - 2 Water Pipits at Neston Old Quay; Smew at Newchurch Common; Bittern at Budworth Mere; Black-necked Grebe at Chelford SQs; Scaup at Birkenhead;

Feb 8th - Firecrest at Sankey Valley Park; Smew at Newchurch Common; 6 Short-eared Owls and c2,000 Pink-footed Geese off Parkgate/Neston/Heswall; Whooper Swan at Richmond Bank;

CB

Feb 9th - Water Pipit and 5 Short-eared Owls at Heswall; 11 Purple Sandpipers and Greenshank at New Brighton ML; Cetti's Warbler at Sandbach Flashes; Kittiwake at Woolston Eyes;

Feb 10th - drake Surf Scoter at Wallasey; Firecrest, 2 Red-breasted Mergansers, Common Scoter and Jack Snipe at Hale; Great White Egret and 18+ Whooper Swans at Frodsham; Water Pipit and 5 Short-eared Owls at Heswall; Water Pipit at Neston; Iceland Gull at Sandbach Flashes; Smew at Newchurch Common; Great Northern Diver at West Kirby ML; Bittern at Moore NR; Scaup at Birkenhead; Mediterranean Gull and Common Sandpiper at Pickering's Pasture; Jack Snipe and Short-eared Owl at West Kirby; Scaup at Doddington Pool;

CB

Yesterday - Caspian Gull at Sandbach Flashes; 2 Great White Egrets at Frodsham; 2 Water Pipits at Neston plus another at Heswall; 5 Velvet Scoter and est 36,000 Common Scoter at Hoylake; Black-necked Grebe at Chelford SQs; Bittern at Budworth Mere; Jack Snipe at Parkgate;

CB

Today - 2 Caspian Gulls and 3 Yellow-legged Gulls at Richmond Bank; Avocet at Burton Mere Wetlands; Whooper Swan, Eider and Scaup at Hoylake; Smew at Newchurch Common; 2 Short-eared Owls at West Kirby; Mediterranean Gull at Birkenhead; 8 Whooper Swans, 2 Guillemots and 3 Purple Sandpipers at Hilbre;

CB

Had a lone Whooper come in over Hoylake too.

Attachments

• DSCN0336.JPG
    DSCN0336.JPG
    370.2 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCN0339.JPG
    DSCN0339.JPG
    359.1 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN0340.JPG
    DSCN0340.JPG
    298.8 KB · Views: 36
Bramblings down to one in my Delamere garden recently but still constantly double figures of Redpoll and Siskin on the feeders. (I refuse to use the term "Lesser")

Yesterday - 2-3 Great White Egrets at Hale; Smew at Newchurch Common; Bittern at Budworth Mere; Black-necked Grebe at Chelford; 5 Yellow-legged Gulls, Mediterranean Gull and c50,000 Starlings at Pickering's Pasture; 15 Whooper Swans at Hoylake; 2 Spotted Redshanks at Burton Mere Wetlands; Scaup at Meols;

CB

Today - Glossy Ibis reported at Gowy Meadows CWT; Water Pipit and 2 Green Sandpipers at Neston; Great White Egret at Parkgate and Burton; Velvet Scoter at Meols; Bittern at Budworth Mere; Avocet at Frodsham; 2 Crossbills at Poynton; Corn Bunting, Common Sandpiper and 15 Buzzards at Hale;

CB

Could it really be what I thought it was?

Hi fellow birders. I've joined the thread to call upon your expertise. I was walking above Frodsham yesterday (15/2) heading down towards the edge through open farmland when I saw a large sparrowhawk type hawk being mobbed by crows. When it evaded the crows it flew across my path travelling quite slowly with heavy wing flaps in a level flight. It was markedly bigger than a sparrowhawk with longer straighter wings and more rounded tail. I can't remember if it's undersides were striped or banded but both variations are possible for the only bird that met this description in my trusty Collins - a Goshawk! Can this be possible?? Anyone able to confirm that this is what I saw?

Yesterday - Glaucous Gull at Hoylake; Great White Egret at Ellesmere Port; Bittern at Budworth Mere; Black-necked Grebe at Chelford; Little Egret at Poynton Pool;

CB

Hi fellow birders. I've joined the thread to call upon your expertise. I was walking above Frodsham yesterday (15/2) heading down towards the edge through open farmland when I saw a large sparrowhawk type hawk being mobbed by crows. When it evaded the crows it flew across my path travelling quite slowly with heavy wing flaps in a level flight. It was markedly bigger than a sparrowhawk with longer straighter wings and more rounded tail. I can't remember if it's undersides were striped or banded but both variations are possible for the only bird that met this description in my trusty Collins - a Goshawk! Can this be possible?? Anyone able to confirm that this is what I saw?

I usually find them associated with woodland areas rather than farmland, however it is possible you could have seen a Goshawk. A good description is required for acceptance by the county rarity committee.

CB

Feb 16th - Black-necked Grebe at Chelford SQ's; Scaup at Sandbach Flashes;

Feb 17th - Scaup at Sandbach Flashes; 10 Purple Sandpipers at Hilbre; Short-eared Owl at Moreton; 30,000+ Common Scoter v.distantly off Hoylake;

Feb 18th - Smew at Newchurch Common; Bittern and Lesser Spotted Woodpecker at Budworth Mere; Scaup and Mediterranean Gull at Sandbach Flashes; Black-necked Grebe at Chelford SQ's;

CB

Yesterday - possible Green-winged Teal at Hale; Caspian Gull, Iceland Gull and 2 Yellow-legged Gulls at Richmond Bank; Iceland Gull at Sandbach Flashes; Water Pipit at Neston; Bittern at Budworth Mere; Smew at Newchurch Common; Scaup at Astbury SQ; 2 Avocets at Burton Mere Wetlands;

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back