• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (4 Viewers)

Just a quick thanks to all for the recent waxwing sightings and the excellent pictures on this thread which has hardened my resolve to find and photograph these beauties too.

I'm surprised that the Macc visitors were sighted today, as I called in briefly to encounter a triple-whammy of incessant drizzle, heavy drilling work beneath the rowan trees in B&Q car park and the streets lined by pedestrians for a military parade!

I have another day's leave tomorrow so I may dig the camera out for another try (I have just read that Crossall St around the corner is another good spot). Kelsall looks do-able too from Delamere Station. decisions. decisions..

D

I'm surprised that the Macc visitors were sighted today, as I called in briefly to encounter a triple-whammy of incessant drizzle, heavy drilling work beneath the rowan trees in B&Q car park and the streets lined by pedestrians for a military parade!

D

Hi D,

The rowan trees they are favouring are the ones by the fence adjacent to Halfords, not the small ones in the centre near to the excavation. Unless they have now decided to dig that bit up as well. The sighting shown on RBA was before 9am, so well before the military parade. Even so, Waxwings like to be the centre of attention so I'd expect them to rise to the competition ;)

VM

Of interest perhaps, a Pallas's Warbler trapped and ringed at a private site on the Wirral ( someones back garden!) on Sunday. Not seen today. First for the county since the wintering bird near Crossley, Macclesfield in 2005, and before then, the bird on Hilbre on 31st Oct 1997 and of course the one in Jane's old garden on Nov 9th -12th in 1997. (i remember the crwod trouble in the kitchen!) You then have to go back to Moreton in Oct 1988 for the one before that.
Be nice for one to pick an accessible site in the bnaer future!
cheers
Hugh
o:D

Pied billed grebe at Littleborough

Mega local news Pied Billed Grebe at Littleborough at south end of Hollingworth lake at miday. Apparently for its 3rd day.
A good North west tick for the list.
Cheers
Hugh :t:

Of interest perhaps, a Pallas's Warbler trapped and ringed at a private site on the Wirral ( someones back garden!) on Sunday. Not seen today. First for the county since the wintering bird near Crossley, Macclesfield in 2005, and before then, the bird on Hilbre on 31st Oct 1997 and of course the one in Jane's old garden on Nov 9th -12th in 1997. (i remember the crwod trouble in the kitchen!) You then have to go back to Moreton in Oct 1988 for the one before that.
cheers
Hugh

I remember those birds very well i saw all three!!! Hopefully it will be relocated at the weekend!!

CB

Mega local news Pied Billed Grebe at Littleborough at south end of Hollingworth lake at miday. Apparently for its 3rd day.
A good North west tick for the list.
Cheers
Hugh :t:

I'll have to wait till the weekend for it. If it stays, which judging by previous records means, it will stay around for months!!

CB

News so far - Red-necked Grebe at Hilbre; 2 Woodlarks still at Brereton CP; 40 Waxwings at Kelsall with 12 at Macclesfield and 19 at Congleton;

Yesterday - Lapland Bunting & Woodcock at Hilbre;

CB

Second visit to Macclesfield in two days finally produced the goods (with thanks to this forum, to which I'm a relative newbie !). 12 Waxwings found on the trees behind the Tile Centre on Crossall Street, adjacent to the B & Q car park. Totally unperturbed by the presence of myself and two others. Took a few photos but weather pretty lousy so not sure how good they are yet as can't download them until tomorrow. There was another guy there with a far more impressive lens than me, so, hopefully he got some good shots. If mine are any good, I'll upload them tomorrow.

Anyone know more about the Woodlarks at Brereton, as that's pretty local to me ?

Cheers

Patrick

cheers
Hugh

Hugh.
Thought you'd written old Jane's garden then! Was about to correct you.:-O
Apparantely Pallas's 2nd t obe caught in same garden. I belive the previous one was a few decades ago.

Enjoyed a nice walk today from Delamere station up to Kelsall today for the 40 waxwings which were adjacent to the Yeld lane carpark. Eventually spotted them high up in the large tree a short distance down Forest Gate Lane from which they were raiding the screen of rowan in fields on the right-hand side. Distance and poor light in morning made for record shots only, but great to see (and hear) these for the first time! Thanks again to all who've been posting updates.

D

news for today - 2 Woodlarks still at Brereton CP; Waxwing in Sutton, nr Macclesfield also 12 at Wistaston and 31 at Kelsall; Marsh Harrier at Parkgate; 200 Pink-footed Geese over Poynton plus c160 over Handforth (large numbers reported over Greater Manchester today);

Yesterday - 15 Guillemots, a Scaup and 92 Brent Geese off Hilbre; 3 Hen Harriers and Marsh Harrier at Parkgate Marsh

CB

Still 12 Waxwings at B&Q in Macclesfield this morning, later feeding behind Tile Giant. Typical though - four of us stood in the sunshine for 3 hours armed with big telephotos yesterday hoping to get that perfect shot of the birds in the sun .... but they didn't turn up |:(|

However, even the best Waxwing portrait couldn't begin to compete with this .....

http://fair-isle.blogspot.com/2010/11/waxwings-oct-25th-2010-day-well-always.html

VM

Still 12 Waxwings at B&Q in Macclesfield this morning, later feeding behind Tile Giant. Typical though - four of us stood in the sunshine for 3 hours armed with big telephotos yesterday hoping to get that perfect shot of the birds in the sun .... but they didn't turn up |:(|

However, even the best Waxwing portrait couldn't begin to compete with this .....

http://fair-isle.blogspot.com/2010/11/waxwings-oct-25th-2010-day-well-always.html

VM

Truly incredible images.... they look even cuter in the hand.

VM

That is the third time i've come across that Fair Isle link on BF and its still almost unbelievable to see.

CB

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back