• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (3 Viewers)

Grappenhall Waxwings

Yesterday I saw 2 Waxwings in trees in the Community Centre Car Park on Bellhouse Lane, Grappenhall. (They were not where the triangle on the rare bird map showed them ie Cliff Lane)

This morning I saw 4 Waxwings when I looked out of the window at about 10pm. They were in the trees at the back of the community centre, near to where the path from Menlow Close, just off Glebe Avenue, leads off to the centre.The birds dropped down from one of the tall trees and not re located them but did not see them fly off.

I believe 12 were were seen yesterday at Forshaw St off Battersby lane a regular site for them.

Does anybody know a reasonable place to go birdwatching near Nantwich ... ... although I will be with non-birdwatchers and a baby? Somewhere nice to walk possibly with a tea room/visitor centre and at the very least toilets. Ta.

Todays news - Lesser Canada Goose at Wigg Island; 4 Waxwings at Grappenhall; Great Northern Diver at Astbury Mere; 2 Yellow-legged Gulls and a Mediterranean Gull at Moore NR;

Yesterday - c50 Waxwings at Higher Poynton plus 2 at Grappenhall and 12 in Warrington; c15 Eider off Dove Point, Meols

Nov 23rd - 16 Waxwing over Leasowe Lighthouse plus Red-throated Diver, 50+ Common Scoter and 11 Scaup offshore; 5 Waxwings, 12 Eider and 2 Scaup at Hilbre

Nov 22nd - 33 Eiders off Hilbre;

CB

Hopefully still around at the weekend. My first chance to visit.:t::t:

It would seem that there are plenty of tasty fish at Astbury Mere to keep the GND happy for now! :eat:

The small beach near the boating ramp on the far side is still giving good views, as it appears to circle around that half of the lake regularly. I also spotted a few goldcrests in the low gorse immediately to the right after leaving the main car-park earlier in the week. (another first for me - I'm new to this lark) (!).

dystopian

Attachments

• 20101124_319c.jpg
    20101124_319c.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 61
Todays news - Lesser Canada Goose at Wigg Island; 4 Waxwings at Grappenhall; Great Northern Diver at Astbury Mere; 2 Yellow-legged Gulls and a Mediterranean Gull at Moore NR;

Yesterday - c50 Waxwings at Higher Poynton plus 2 at Grappenhall and 12 in Warrington; c15 Eider off Dove Point, Meols

Nov 23rd - 16 Waxwing over Leasowe Lighthouse plus Red-throated Diver, 50+ Common Scoter and 11 Scaup offshore; 5 Waxwings, 12 Eider and 2 Scaup at Hilbre

Nov 22nd - 33 Eiders off Hilbre;

CB

CB
Theres been a hybrid Barnacle x Canada knocking around that looks like a Lesser Cananda. We saw it at IMF last year with the Canada's on Shotwick fields and it caused a few moments of head scratching. Could this be the same bird?

Does anybody know a reasonable place to go birdwatching near Nantwich ... ... although I will be with non-birdwatchers and a baby? Somewhere nice to walk possibly with a tea room/visitor centre and at the very least toilets. Ta.

only places i know of are marbury, moore and delamere, but none of them are exactly in nantwich but they're only 13 miles away

only places i know of are marbury, moore and delamere, but none of them are exactly in nantwich but they're only 13 miles away

Cheers for the info though seeing as though I'll be coming from that direction going back on myself doesn't seem logical especially draggong out non-birders ... oh well Snuggington's Ice-Cream Shop here we come8-P

CB
Theres been a hybrid Barnacle x Canada knocking around that looks like a Lesser Cananda. We saw it at IMF last year with the Canada's on Shotwick fields and it caused a few moments of head scratching. Could this be the same bird?

Entirely possible. I've had no direct info from an observer, only from bird info services. Have you got a picture of your bird?

CB

As CC says, the Nantwich area is not blessed with good birdwatching spots that are suitable for the whole family.

CB

the great northern diver is still at astbury mere today, or it was when we left today about 3.30pm.

i suspect there may be some extremely good pics of it knocking about now as while we were there there was a chap with a huge lense taking pics.

Todays news - Bittern at Budworth Mere; 20 Waxwings at Tatton Park; Great Northern Divers still at Astbury Mere and Marbury (S) Mere; 3 Yellow-legged Gulls and 2 Med Gulls at Richmond Bank; Hen Harrier and 2 Bramblings at Inner Marsh Farm;

Yesterday - pair Mandarins at Rode Heath;

Belated news for 24th - Snow Bunting at Spond's Hill; Leucistic Blackbird (almost pure white) at Higher Poynton;

CB

Todays news - Bittern at Budworth Mere; 20 Waxwings at Tatton Park; Great Northern Divers still at Astbury Mere and Marbury (S) Mere; 3 Yellow-legged Gulls and 2 Med Gulls at Richmond Bank; Hen Harrier and 2 Bramblings at Inner Marsh Farm;
Yesterday - pair Mandarins at Rode Heath;
Belated news for 24th - Snow Bunting at Spond's Hill; Leucistic Blackbird (almost pure white) at Higher Poynton;
CB

I always read and look forward to your updates-thanks and please keep it up.

I believe 12 were were seen yesterday at Forshaw St off Battersby lane a regular site for them.
I spent an hour looking around the area yesterday with no success:-C

Purple Mission

Hi

Went on a bit of a mission today to try and see a Purple Sandpiper up at New Brighton. On the way we called at Inner Marsh as well.

Just before Inner Marsh near Puddington we came across a tree covered in Linnets and even a couple of Brambling thrown in for good measure.

Inner Marsh was covered in ice but plenty of smaller birds around
Siskin
Linnet
Goldfinch
Bullfinch
Great Spooted Woody
Meadow Pipit

We then traveled up the coastal road stopping at Hoylake just to see what we could find.
Plenty of Redshank and Oyster catcher plus Dunlin.

At New Brighton itself at first we didn't find any Purple Sandpiper from our watch point by the Life Guard station just Sandling, Turnstone and a single Ringed Plover plus the odd Common Gull. Just though as we about to head back to the car some waders landed on the groin and we bagged some Purple Sandpiper 5 in total. Pity the birds didn't prefer the other side of the rocks as it made it tricky to get any shots and the combination of cold hands and the wind didn't help.

So a good day out.

Tim.

Last edited:
Hi

Went on a bit of a mission today to try and see a Purple Sandpiper up at New Brighton. On the way we called at Inner Marsh as well.

Just before Inner Marsh near Puddington we came across a tree covered in Linnets and even a couple of Brambling thrown in for good measure.

Inner Marsh was covered in ice but plenty of smaller birds around
Siskin
Linnet
Goldfinch
Bullfinch
Great Spooted Woody
Meadow Pipit

We then traveled up the coastal road stopping at Hoylake just to see what we could find.
Plenty of Redshank and Oyster catcher plus Dunlin.

At New Brighton itself at first we didn't find any Purple Sandpiper from our watch point by the Life Guard station just Sandling, Turnstone and a single Ringed Plover plus the odd Common Gull. Just though as we about to head back to the car some waders landed on the groin and we bagged some Purple Sandpiper 5 in total. Pity the birds didn't prefer the other side of the rocks as it made it tricky to get any shots and the combination of cold hands and the wind didn't help.

So a good day out.

Tim.

Glad you had a good time on the Wirral, nice work on the bullfinch at IMF they can be somewhat elusive

Great Northern Diver still present at Astbury Mere CP again today and showing well also a pair of Goosanders and 27 Pochard.......:t:
http://steveseal.blogspot.com/

Steve.

Cracking image Steve :t:

Just stayed very local today, 2 Kingfisher & 2 Common Gull at Poynton Pool, 20+ Redwing and 6 Mistle Thrush along a 300yd stretch of Poynton Canal.

even more local.... My garden.... 11 Redpoll late evening (oops early evening or late afternoon)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back