• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire And Wirral Birding: Hills, Lowland and Coast (3 Viewers)

I might visit Burton mere this sunday......would love to add snow bunting, red-throated divers, scaup, common scoter, bean goose, purple sandpipers, spotted redshank to my list.. and also see bewicks swan again......any idea the best way to get to see these species in a short winter day?

I might visit Burton mere this sunday......would love to add snow bunting, red-throated divers, scaup, common scoter, bean goose, purple sandpipers, spotted redshank to my list.. and also see bewicks swan again......any idea the best way to get to see these species in a short winter day?

North Wales coast for Snow Bunts, Scoter, Purple Sands and Bewicks on the way back at Shotton Fields - plus a chance of most of the rest?

Good show from the starlings at Moore again this evening plus a Bittern which flew into the middle reedbed at 15:50 and a stoat which crossed the track in front of us as we left.

One sparrowhawk took a starling just as they all funneled into the reeds - I don't know how they can pick a single bird out in that speedy descent of a mass of starlings unless they just hit the moving stream of birds and see what they connect with!

Today - unconfirmed report of American Herring Gull at New Brighton; Pomarine Skua, Great Skua, a Shearwater Spp, Scaup and Snow Bunting at Hilbre; Bittern at Moore NR; 5 White-fronted Geese and Scaup at Burton Mere Wetlands; 18 Bewick's Swans and 2 Hen Harriers at Burton Marsh

CB

Spotted Redshanks have been particularly scarce on the Cheshire side of the Dee this winter so far.

CB

Today - unconfirmed report of American Herring Gull at New Brighton; Pomarine Skua, Great Skua, a Shearwater Spp, Scaup and Snow Bunting at Hilbre; Bittern at Moore NR; 5 White-fronted Geese and Scaup at Burton Mere Wetlands; 18 Bewick's Swans and 2 Hen Harriers at Burton Marsh

CB

What age was the putative smiths?

I wonder if the claim of the adult American Herring Gull refers to this bird which has returned to winter in the Crosby/Seaforth area over the river for the last three years.It shows the heavy nape/neck smudging etc and the prerequisite "W" shaped mark on P5.Of course the only AHGs of this age group that have been proven over here are in Ireland, when returning birds have been watched from when they were 1cy birds( the Nimmos Pier, Galway bird being the maost famous).However pics of this bird have been shown to various Gull "gurus" both in Europe and in the USA and all have commented favourably with the putative ID, albeit with the proviso that adults can only be "theoretically identified" and a ringed bird may be the only real answer to this enigmatic age group.View attachment 359435

View attachment 359436

View attachment 359437

Last edited:

CB

Also on off Hilbre that day was a gannet, plus several kittiwakes and a few great crested grebes and shags - a real good day out.

Hilbre Snow Bunting found by the joint RSPB / Rangers group briefly at north end and relocted by Obs members on beach at south end where it gave cracking views as we drove off using the Landrover as a hide.

A small flock of Pintail were a woderful sight againsnt the stormy sea.

Attachments

• Snow Bunting2 031211.jpg
    Snow Bunting2 031211.jpg
    232.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Pintail1 031211.jpg
    Pintail1 031211.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 59
Belated news but there was a single ruddy type shelduck in with about 300 pink-feet here the other day, I only saw it in flight. But it came and went with the pink-feet.

Any ideas?

Belated news but there was a single ruddy type shelduck in with about 300 pink-feet here the other day, I only saw it in flight. But it came and went with the pink-feet.

Any ideas?

Several hybrids around the county. Cape Shelduck seems to be a favourite. By here I assume you mean at Burton Mere Wetlands?

CB

Several hybrids around the county. Cape Shelduck seems to be a favourite. By here I assume you mean at Burton Mere Wetlands?

CB

Ooops yes I mean Burton Mere Wetlands - thanks did here a rumour of one at IMF on its own. Was thinking that this was a diff. one cos it flew in and out with the wild geese?

Anyhow a nice green winged teal again at BMW, showing from the reception building.

recognised a pintail near hale lighthouse seen and same species at pickings pasture days before . but had long and extensive views of a unusual cat , I later checked and has typical markings of scotish wild cat though maybe a hybrid . white bridge on left ditton brook on wooden frame heading towards jubilee/runcorn bridge

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back