• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chilean Songbird (with real photos this time!) (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom

Attachments

• P1010803 (2).jpg
    P1010803 (2).jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 48
  • P1010804 (2).jpg
    P1010804 (2).jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 22
Finally got some passable photos! Still good for Greenish? I'm just a bit nervous because this species flags on eBird

Attachments

• P1010956.jpg
    P1010956.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 31
  • P1010968.jpg
    P1010968.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 19
  • P1010972.jpg
    P1010972.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 29
Those photos are quite good. I'm puzzled though. Bill shape is wrong for Greenish, and the grey mantle/scapulars seem to point to Bright-rumped only. However that species is out of range there and your bird lacks the grey cheeks of Bright-rumped (although a few isolated grey feathers can be seen on the rear part of the cheeks)... Hmm... Also, while Greater is in range, that species has no grey saddle.... I'll give it a rest for now.

Anything there that would rule out Grassland? First time I saw it it was singing, and the song matches closest to either Grassland or Greenish imo

Anything there that would rule out Grassland?
More or less everything ;)
The bird seems to be in moult (outer-most visible primary on the left seems old?), and if that is the case primary projection is not possible to evaluate correctly (it might have dropped some primaries).
This is either Greater, Greenish or Bright-rumped (I'm leaning Greater with a fresh body plumage, but this is just a guess for now, and probably a bad one). Wait for more opinions (pjosh should comment).

I'm not sure how such things are decided but, if it helps, the only yellow-finches that wouldn't flag on eBird for this site are Greater and Grassland

I'm not sure how such things are decided but, if it helps, the only yellow-finches that wouldn't flag on eBird for this site are Greater and Grassland

Usually, a person with knowledge of an area is in charge of maintaining a filter for that area (size of that area can vary). That filter should contain information about those species usually occurring with number limits on how many you are likely to see. If a species is not on that filter, you will see the flag for providing information even if only one bird is recorded.

Niels

I have now checked Neotropical birds online with especially checking the photos approved for Greater Yellow-Finch. They are very variable, so I do not think the above necessarily are outside of the range. However, I do not know this and the contenders well enough to say whether it is one for sure.

Niels

Greater for me. Greenish vs Greater isn’t always easy but the photos are good and I don’t see anything to tricky here. Definitely not Bright-rumped and absolutely definitely not Grassland.

Regarding song comparisons, if you are browsing Macaulay, XC, or the like, try to look for recordings from central Chile. Sicalis tend to show a lot of regional and individual variation.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back