• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China observations (12 Viewers)

Today in Rudong besides regular birds such as SAccentor,Relict Gull,BFSpoonbill,Spooner,NGreenshank,DPelican,Baer's Pochard,there were also two GFlamingo.
Maybe it's the same two flamingo recorded this spring in Lianyungang.

Poorly seen...

Out for a walk in a nearby park/tree nursery near sunset (that's only 4:30 here!). In addition to Great Tits had intriguing glimpses of two birds. One a not-small raptor mobbed by magpies - I just saw it in the top of an evergreen tree for an instant before it flew off, and never had a good view - just that its face in profile looked big next to the magpie. What could that be? I would have thought that the buteo hawks and eagles should be gone from up north by now? Maybe a goshawk? The plainish brown face might match a juvenile.

The other a seemingly bigger-than-sparrow bird was also briefly seen from the back in a tree and when it flew towards the sun, I thought I saw a red bib, like a Bullfinch. It's been a long time since I've seen one of those, and again a very unsatisfactory view. Seems possible on range I guess. It was a solo bird. Saw a Great Tit a little later in the area, but I don't think that's what it was.

How about Naumann's Thrush for the second one Gretchen? they have a red head and breast.

For the first - not sure how cold it is up there right now but Eastern Buzzard or a juvenile Northern Goshawk would by my first thoughts - they can be pretty hardy.

Cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike for your ideas, and welcome back!

I didn't describe the red I saw on the bird's breast very well - it was a small collar, just below the throat, and seemed quite bright, not reddish brown. The only alternative to that being the bird's color would be if the sunlight (which was getting reddish) reflected on a white or light colored breast. I did see the bird from the back and recall it being sort of darkish (though again, the light was poor), which doesn't seem to correspond with a Bullfinch back I suppose. I didn't think it was as big as a thrush - from the back and maybe a little view of the beak, I thought it was a finch type.

Thanks Mike for your ideas, and welcome back!

I didn't describe the red I saw on the bird's breast very well - it was a small collar, just below the throat, and seemed quite bright, not reddish brown. The only alternative to that being the bird's color would be if the sunlight (which was getting reddish) reflected on a white or light colored breast. I did see the bird from the back and recall it being sort of darkish (though again, the light was poor), which doesn't seem to correspond with a Bullfinch back I suppose. I didn't think it was as big as a thrush - from the back and maybe a little view of the beak, I thought it was a finch type.

Hi Gretchen,

How about a Rustic Bunting? Just my thought.

Ducky rewards for Crash n Burn

A beautiful day started with another golden light morning which was very helpful to spot the "43" Falcated Ducks opposite to the Holiday Inn. The count from Hengsha is still pending as my maths is poor, i lost the count after 100.:C
XiaoYangshan was very quite, except for a skilled Brownish-flanked Bush Warbler which never showed out of the undergrowth. The recent accuweather forecasts showed their weather reports are absolute bogus, "the beautiful sunny day with clouds" was meant to be dense fog cover.
Back at Nanhui, the surprise unfolded by a single "Ruddy Shelduck" ("#Neverseenoneheremyself moment") feeding closely to a big mixed flock of Eurasian/Black-faced Spoonbills.
Further North of the reserve, the Bewick's Swan's are back in their regular winter site, 26 of these Swans were guarded by thousands n thousands of waterfowls.
A pretty fantastic day with some superb east asian waterfowl which definitely got me over my head. On the way back, lost control of the wheel, crashed into a ditch. 6 hours of rescue operation and only fatality is a total wasted car.

Attachments

• Nanhui.jpg
    Nanhui.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 38
  • Shelduck,Ruddy_004.jpg
    Shelduck,Ruddy_004.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 37
Thank you Gentlemen for your concern. It's my mistake when i took my eyes off the road when i was driving at the edge of the road. Must be my Karma, that nobody was injured ;-).
@ Terry, if the accident has happened while spotting a bird, the shock would have been far worse and i'm pretty sure, i would not go back birding at all.
All is good, thanks for the insurance and all those cops trying to locate us in a place which doesn't exist.

A rarity on the east coast

Dr.Kai, a fellow Shanghai expat Birder, sent me couple of pics which he took in Nanhui last week to help him with the ID. The Phylloscopus photo which he sent was no usual one. Looking at the overall brown upperparts, buffish supercilium, dark legs and bill, short primary projection, i immediately had an evil smug smile. But i ain't a Phylloscopus sage. Thanks to Mark Andrews for clearing my doubt.

Hold your horses....

Shanghai's first (probable) Siberian Chiffchaff.

Thanks to Terry, who really got me intrigued in this bird earlier this year (http://birdingbeijing.com/2014/01/26/chiffchaff-new-for-beijing-or-not/).

Big Kudos to Dr.Kai for finding this rarity.

Attachments

• Arctic Warbler DSC_0123.jpg
    Arctic Warbler DSC_0123.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 49
Ghost from the Past

I see that Hengsha Dao is getting much attention these days.

76RMB/Day - Various travel agencies offering a day trip to visit the orchards in the island and choose the orchard of your choice. Orange and Strawberries are the major fruits now.

Well, now i see the gold rush for outdoor activity.

Earlier this autumn, when i was shooting a flock of Eastern Black-tailed Godwits which were very nervous for some reason and kept taking off from the reeds. I never paid attention to those shots as they were quietly buried in the magnetic sectors of the hard disk. Since i'm taking birding to a slow level since the "incident", i was dusting out some of those sectors and found an "Asian Dowitcher".

The underdog "Hengsha" never disappoints!

Attachments

• Godwit,Black_tailed_002.jpg
    Godwit,Black_tailed_002.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 45
Snowy Owl

Just back from a few days up on the Mongolian Steppe south of Hulun Nur. Cold, birdy, great scenery and slightly off the beaten track.

Daurian partridge 15+10+10
Kestrel 7
Hen harrier 1
Rough legged buzzard 4
Upland buzzard 2
Golden eagle 2
Rock dove 5
Hill pigeon 15
Collared dove 20
Euro eagle owl 1
Snowy owl 2 (m+f)
Little owl 3
Long Eared owl 15
Great spotted Woodpecker 2
Chinese grey shrike 3
Azure winged Magpie 5
Common Magpie 50
Bohemian waxwing 2
Mongolian Lark +3000
Shore Lark 400
Northern Parrotbill 1h
White cheeked Starling 2 (!)
House sparrow 5
Rock sparrow 15
Tree sparrow 350
Redpoll 5
Asian Rosy finch 5
http://maps.google.com/?q=48.161805,116.537828&hl=en&gl=us
Long tailed Rosefinch 4
Euro bullfinch 6
Hawfinch 3
Godlewskis bunting 5
Pallas reed bunting 8
Lapland bunting +300
Pere David's Snowfinch 12+3+1

Contact local wild child Zhao for logistics and good company!
Zhao Shuanglong 赵双龙
Tel: 138-4870-8421
Email: [email protected]

Cheers
jocko

Attachments

• Hulun Nur-4.jpg
    Hulun Nur-4.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Hulun Nur-12.jpg
    Hulun Nur-12.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Hulun Nur-5.jpg
    Hulun Nur-5.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Hulun Nur-6-2.jpg
    Hulun Nur-6-2.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Hulun Nur-8.jpg
    Hulun Nur-8.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 51
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back