• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

China observations (17 Viewers)

Thanks for the map coordinates - wow you were way out there. We visited grasslands around Hailar in pre-birding days, but that was summer. It must have been an interesting adventure - don't know the timing in relation to the "big snow" (?) in Heilongjiang. Very very impressed with how many birds, and especially owls you saw!

OOC, Jocko, how does one get to someplace that remote?

Return flights from Shanghai direct to Hailar and then a few hours drive by 4x4 car - 3 of us are going there early Feb. (Dev, Kai & moi) after being briefed by Jocko !

Triple thermal undies, 1.2kg Thinsulate boots and Arctic weather gear all purchased :eek!:

Return flights from Shanghai direct to Hailar and then a few hours drive by 4x4 car - 3 of us are going there early Feb. (Dev, Kai & moi) after being briefed by Jocko !

Triple thermal undies, 1.2kg Thinsulate boots and Arctic weather gear all purchased :eek!:

Sounds like what I needed for St. Lawrence Island, Alaska, last year. The advantage of Mongolia will be that it will be dry (at least compared to an island in the Bering Strait).

Stay warm and find some good birds!

JH

Gulls on Bund

Good numbers of gulls on the Bund today. Probably some 300+.

At least 2 1st winter Slaty-backed Gulls. Probably also a 2nd winter individual.

1 1st winter Common Gull (heinei I think).

4 Black-headed Gulls.

Good numbers of mongolicus, vegae and heuglini/taimyrensis in various plumages (and different leg colours). Not easy, had to leave quite a few not assigned to species level.

With more active coverage, I believe there is more to discover.

Cheers
jocko

Good numbers of gulls on the Bund today. Probably some 300+. ... With more active coverage, I believe there is more to discover.

Congratulations on Slaty-backed Gull! The Bund is indeed a good place to study gulls, and you've inspired me to do more work there.

Did you scope your gulls or use binoculars?

Hi,

Following up a particularly interesting discussion on the ID forum, Dong Bei and I thought it would be good to have a general thread - where anyone who had occasional (or more than occasional) China observations could add them. There is no limit on theme or geography, just birds in China.

If you don't have your own thread, we invite anyone who lives or travels in China to add their observations to this thread. ....

Hello Gretchen,

Owen Krout here and at least for now rather than starting another thread of my own I think I'll take advantage of your thread as a place to post some observations.

Briefly, for those who haven't run across any of the few postings I have made yet, I am currently splitting my year between living at Panjin, Liaoning and Kansas City, Kansas USA. I'll leave for Kansas again in May, but just over the Chinese New Year I decided that I would give a try to combining bird watching and photography for a hobby that would let me keep myself active physically and mentally and would be something that I could do in China.

Recently retired, I gave a brief fling last year into getting deeper into a long standing interest in amateur astronomy and although fascinating, I decided that it was too expensive for me! I gave some thought to a small home machine shop (retired engineer) but not only expensive but no room in China and getting machines, tools and supplies would be almost impossible.

Then one day I was playing around with my old Canon Rebel XT DSLR camera and a Eurasian Magpie squawked at me from a tree. I automatically swung the camera up and snapped a photo. Viewing it later at home, it occurred to me, "Hey, this would be fun!" and a new obsession was born. Still awaiting delivery of field guides and struggling with all these new to me species, but enjoying myself.

At any rate, when in China, I'll post mostly from the Panjin, Liaoning area. When in Kansas, I'll post elsewhere for observations from there. Enough of an introduction and I'll following up separately with my most recent observations.

From Panjin 2015-MAR-10

A rather typical afternoon for here. Grabbed my camera and I spent about an hour and a half and estimate I walked about 2 km. About 500 meters is all I have to walk to be at the edge of the developed area and at a city park bordered by what remains of an old village -single story flat roof concrete the locals refer to as Beijing roof houses, greenhouses, farmland and wetland (reed marsh primarily). The type of area that in the USA I would expect to be teeming with wildlife and birds in particular. Mostly though it is devoid of any trace of wildlife, only a few dogs, chickens and a few birds.

Be that as it may, here is the results of my 1.5 hours and 2 km (I personally list the scientific name first as it is more determinate than common names which may vary from region to region)

(1) Upupa epops (Hoopoe) New to me within the last month and still fascinating.
(10) Emberiza pusilla (Little Bunting)
(20) Passer montanus (Eurasian Tree Sparrow)

Panjin, Liaoning 2015-MAR-13

A more productive day. Visited the same area as I did on the 10th and spent about 2 hours. Weather was warmer and clear skies.

(2) Certhia familiarus (Common Treecreeper) - tough one to spot - camouflaged very well -see photo

(20) Parus minor (Japanese Tit) - New to me so I did an internet search "Japanese tit image" to verify. Now that did not yield what I expected!

(10) Passer montanus (Eurasian Tree Sparrow)

(18) Cyanopica cyana (Azure-winged Magpie) Locals are convinced that "Only Panjin has these"

Also attached is a photo of the closest wetlands to me. First day I have seen open water. Still strikes me that this area shows no sign of any wildlife.

Attachments

• IMG_0021 - Version 2.JPG
    IMG_0021 - Version 2.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 43
  • WetlandsPanjin2015MAR13.jpg
    WetlandsPanjin2015MAR13.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0040.JPG
    IMG_0040.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 23
Panjin ID help

Panjin

Had a very good day yesterday compared to efforts to this point. I have a new one to me that I would like to have id verified on as it is not listed as native to here but the maps would indicate that it would be likely to migrate through here. See attached photo - I would id as Emberiza chrysophrys (Yellow-browed Bunting) - what do those of you more familiar with Chinese species think?

Thanks,
Owen

Attachments

• IMG_0161.JPG
    IMG_0161.JPG
    304.1 KB · Views: 41
Hi Owen,

That is a nice photo of a Yellow-throated (or Elegant) Bunting Emberiza elegans. It's primarily a winter visitor to Beijing, although I have seen it once in June. I suspect it may breed in Liaoning (Tom will know!). Definitely one of the best-looking buntings...

Nice Treecreeper, too... that's rare in Beijing!

Good luck with the new hobby.

Terry

Where is that field guide I ordered?

Ah, yes, I see now. I just checked images on the Oriental Bird Club site:

Yellow-throated bunting E. elegans
Yellow-breasted bunting E. aureola
Yellow-browed bunting E. chrysophrys

Can't tell the players without a score card! There were two males that I was within 2 meters. They were busy scolding my Russian Toy Terrier or I would probably have missed them. Actually, that is how I got the treecreeper too. A group of Japanese Tits scolding her attracted me and only then did I notice the treecreeper. I had thought of posting a where's Waldo as in the original unprocessed image the treecreeper blends in perfectly with the tree trunk.

Attachments

• LuLu IMG_0261.jpg
    LuLu IMG_0261.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 35
Owen, some nice sightings! I would be very happy for a hoopoe - though of course it would have to enjoy walking on snow :-O Good work seeing the tree creeper as well. Elegant bunting is one of my favorites - so nice you got a great view and picture.

In terms of the azure winged magpies being a local specialty, well that is pretty funny. The gang that frequents my garden (in Changchun) might argue.

P.S. Sounds like your dog does a good job attracting birds!

Last edited:
The migration has begun!

Good morning! Second try as the internet dropped out in the middle of the first.

This morning, as I was grumpily getting the stiff joints moving and getting dressed to take the dog on her morning walk, I was slow to respond to my wife's excited, "Eah mia! Lai, lai! Owen, kuai, kuai! When I finally shuffled into the room she was practically leaning out the open window with, "See, see, many, many DaYan (geese)!

Sure enough, I got a quick look at two large flocks of large, gull-winged birds coming in and out of the morning fog, lazily heading due north. By the time I grabbed the binoculars and got back there were only a few stragglers at a kilometer or more. The wife estimated that she saw 100 or more.

Judging by the reports from Dong Bei down in Dahlian I would guess at Larus argentatus - Herring gulls, but I didn't get a good enough look to be sure. Guess I'll be making an observation trip today!

Owen, some nice sightings! I would be very happy for a hoopoe - though of course it would have to enjoy walking on snow :-O Good work seeing the tree creeper as well. Elegant bunting is one of my favorites - so nice you got a great view and picture.

In terms of the azure winged magpies being a local specialty, well that is pretty funny. The gang that frequents my garden (in Changchun) might argue.

P.S. Sounds like your dog does a good job attracting birds!

Morning, Gretchen

The first Hoopoe I saw here was in February and the ground was mostly snow covered. All the resources I checked indicated they were not in this area during the winter, but there it was. I even got a good photo for the record.

LuLu does sometimes prove to be a help. Birds will often become so focused on scolding her that I am able to slowly get closer for a better look. I've seen the magpies playing teasing her, landing on the ground close by and calling until she rushes them and they will just lazily jump/flap straight up 3-4 meters and come down behind her to start teasing her again. Reminds me of the crows I grew up with that were smart enough to play and have a sense of humor. She is a whole 1.75 kilograms so they are not really scared of her. She can be irritating though as she sometimes likes to scatter a flock of little birds who are ground feeding. Usually after I have spent 15 minutes being as still as possible to draw them in closer. She will dash through the middle of the flock and then stop and watch them fly. Doesn't appear to really be trying to catch them, just fascinated by them flying.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back