• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Christmas Virus!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

timwootton

I just received this.
I don't know the originator, nor if it's genuine, but I thought I'd pass it on . . .

PLEASE FORWARD THIS WARNING:

You should be alert during the next days:

Do not open any message with an attached file called 'Merry
Christmas'
regardless of who sent it, It is a virus that opens as an Open
Log Fire
and will burn the whole hard disc in your computer.

This virus will be received from someone who has your e-mail
address
in his/her contact list, that is why you should send this e-mail
to all
your contacts. It is better to receive this message 25 times
than to
receive the virus and open it.

If you receive a mail called 'Merry Christmas', though sent by a
friend, do
not open it and shut down your computer immediately. This is the
worst
virus announced, it has been classified by Microsoft as the most
destructive virus ever.

This virus was discovered yesterday, and there is no repair
yet for this kind of virus. This virus simply destroys the Zero
Sector
of the Hard Disc, where the vital information is kept

No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.503 / Virus Database: 269.16.10/1160 - Release Date:
29/11/2007 20:32

----- End forwarded message -----

Last edited:
Sorry - have I been a dickhead here?
Not actually knowing anything about tinternet as such, is this an old 'joke'?
Apologies if so.

Just occurs to me - how is one to know what a 'serious' warning of a virus looks like?

Apologies if so.

Just occurs to me - how is one to know what a 'serious' warning of a virus looks like?

Not at all Tim I am sure you acted in good faith in passing on what you thought was a serious warning. I hope you will accept my post in the same vein.

First rule of t'internet, same as any other media... don't take anything at face value.

I don't think you will ever receive a "'serious' warning of a virus” via an email circulated in this way. It's just the modern equivalent of a chain letter.

The "joke" is older than the internet and cynically takes advantage of people’s good nature. The less humorous side is that the technique and the weakness it exploits is exactly the same as many of the very serious scams used to extract sensitive personal information from the unwary.

The home page of most AV software will have a "news" link where recent threats will be reported. It would be extremely unlikely that there would be any new threat here that is not already covered by the latest update. Most recent new threats are variants of earlier viruses and I would expect any major, genuinely new threat, would almost instantly be mainstream news anyway. A quick Goggle will also reveal plenty of hits for any further info be it either a hoax or genuine.

If you have reputable and regularly updated anti virus software installed you are as well protected as possible. The weakest link is usualy the user. Gain their trust and you can take over their pc.

Some good info on recognising hoaxes here:-

http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBHoaxInfo.html#whattodo

Keep your shields up Tim, and don't hesitate to ask if you need any help.

Regards
Steven

Last edited:
Dickhead is a bit harsh. However, it is true that these hoaxes obviously continue to circulate as well-meaning folks like you pass them on. Listen to rozinante:))))

Did any one hear that thing on the radio today? Seems like some of the scammers are actually doing what the hoax emails have said. Radio 4, You and Yours today 12/12/07 in case you want to go to the listen again service.

Mick

Apologies if so.

hi Tim

No, you are making sense here, as it is showing that people care what happens to themselves, their PC's and others around them.

I think we are at the Mercy of Computer hackers, and need to back each other up in our moment of need. E-mails, Internet viruses, circulate as they do, and you never know what is going to come your way now, and in the future.
There are 'nerds' healthy - and they are 'nutters' unhealthy. Nutters are nutters and we cannot change them.

I do receive warning e-mails from my OH's work, warning us of any nasties we may receive in our e-mail. These are the serious ones as I know my friends know what they are talking about. My IT friends I have - continually send me warnings too, and advice me about Spam mail in the process. Great to have IT friends to give advice too.

Hate to tell you this but I have fallen for a similar 'gag' recently myself. It is not funny for anyone to endure at all. People who produce these cyber 'fear factors' are a waste of space.

Just carry on being on your guard, as if a hacker strikes, and he means business, you cannot replace damaged areas of your PC.

So better safe than sorry - at the end of the day. ;)

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
Did any one hear that thing on the radio today? Seems like some of the scammers are actually doing what the hoax emails have said. Radio 4, You and Yours today 12/12/07 in case you want to go to the listen again service.

Mick

Missed it Mick but I can't say any more as I just opened a christmas card from Tim and the whole hard disc in my computer is now on fire...

:)

I am just of to listen but I think that must be a different scam.

edit...
Just listened to the item.

It was the CV2 number scam they mentioned not the christmas tree disk wiping one. After allowing for the usual You and Yours unsubstantiated hype it does appear that something is going on.

The most significant part of the item being the warning to never give out sensitive details to someone who calls you and asks for them.

Last edited:
This reminds me of the Irish manual computer virus email.

'please delete all the files on your hard disk yourself and forward this email to everyone you know. That'd be grand'

There is a dangerous virus being passed around electronically, orally, and by hand.

This virus is called Weary-Overload-Recreational-Killer (WORK).

If you receive WORK from any of your colleagues, your boss, or anyone else via any means DO NOT TOUCH IT.

This virus will wipe out your private life completely. If you should come into contact with WORK, put your jacket on and take two good friends to the nearest grocery store.

Purchase the antidote known as Work-Isolating-Neutralizer-Extract (WINE) or othersome-Employer-Elimination-Rebooter (BEER). Take the antidote repeatedly until WORK has been completely eliminated from your system .

You should forward this warning to 5 friends.

If you do not have 5 friends, you have already been infected and WORK is controlling your life.

There is a dangerous virus being passed around electronically, orally, and by hand.

This virus is called Weary-Overload-Recreational-Killer (WORK).

If you receive WORK from any of your colleagues, your boss, or anyone else via any means DO NOT TOUCH IT.

This virus will wipe out your private life completely. If you should come into contact with WORK, put your jacket on and take two good friends to the nearest grocery store.

Purchase the antidote known as Work-Isolating-Neutralizer-Extract (WINE) or othersome-Employer-Elimination-Rebooter (BEER). Take the antidote repeatedly until WORK has been completely eliminated from your system .

You should forward this warning to 5 friends.

If you do not have 5 friends, you have already been infected and WORK is controlling your life.

Damn,I already have it! :t:

Virus warning

"Oh Strewth", I never saw this thread and I wish I had because I got caught this morning and am now|:$| blushing redder than I ever did on my first 'canoodle'.
My friend who sent me the warning is also very embarrassed. :-C
It doesnt matter how old you are you can still get caught by the sick individuals in 'cyberspace'.:C

"regardless of who sent it, It is a virus that opens as an Open
Log Fire
and will burn the whole hard disc in your computer."

Ahhh, Chestnuts roasting over a 40gb hard drive,
Turkey stuffed full of useless RAM
Wait a minute here, is this a hoax
and Iv'e been a bit of a bam,

Regards

Bing C. and Nat K. C.

Tried this and got Partitioned-Interim-Sub-Sectors-Ejecting-Data

Nigel, just a little more treatment and you would have cured yourself. You could have

Totally Wiped All Traces of Tedious Employment Drudgery

Hoaxes

Well what a day I've had, 8-P I'm absolutely brain damaged after going through all the literature I could find about, 3:) 'HOAXES'. In the end I have taken Nigel's cure all B :) :) and got P-----. I tell you, "Out there are some evil minded parasites who plague the innocent ones. "What, me innocent".
Strewth I'm going to bed.

Well what a day I've had, 8-P I'm absolutely brain damaged after going through all the literature I could find about, 3:) 'HOAXES'. In the end I have taken Nigel's cure all B :) :) and got P-----. I tell you, "Out there are some evil minded parasites who plague the innocent ones. "What, me innocent".
Strewth I'm going to bed.

Hi Tanny

It is true what you say that there are 'evil minded parasites who plague the innocent ones'. They are not the innocent ones by a long chalk. They seen to think that they are safe, secure, and not included in all the problems that they create are through the Cyber world.

Maybe setting your e-mails with headers, so the unwitting sender of any unwanted hoax e-mails IP address will be found out. The simple fact is that their IP address show up, then take note of their details. Then simply report them to their IP user comes to mind here.

They are trying to cause unnecessary stress for the unwary. They are the ones that need to get themselves a life.

So do not blame yourself for this they have the problem not you. ;)

In the meantime we can all have a laugh how stupid that they are. 3:)

Regards
Kathy

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back