• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cistothorus apolinari Chapman, 1914 (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Cistothorus apolinari Chapman, 1914 OD here
To this end the cooperation of Hermano Apolinar Maria, Director of the Instituto de la Salle of Bogota, was enlisted and thanks to him three adult birds in fresh (postnuptial?) plumage were taken in the Suba Marshes February 7, 1914, and forwarded to the American Museum. It therefore gives me much pleasure to dedicate this interesting species to Brother Apolinar not only as a mark of our appreciation of his assistance on this and on other occasions, but also in recognition of the important service he is rendering science as Director of the Instituto de la Salle of Bogota.
The Key to Scientific Names
Br. Apolinar María (born Nicolás Seiler) (1867-1949) French missionary to Colombia 1904-1949, Rector of the La Salle Institute, zoologist (Cistothorus).

According here...
El Hermano Apolinar María (Nicolás Seiler), nacido el 5 de noviembre de 1867 en Sarreguemines (Alsacia) llegó a Colombia en el año de 1904.

Y amaneció el día 24 de diciembre de 1949; en esa fecha, se escapó a los cielos el alma generosa y pura del Hermano Apolinar. Hubo concierto general entre los Serafines y un estremecimiento sú bito de peculiar alegría invadió a la Creación cuyos arcanos había es cudriñado el sabio religioso. En el cielo podía completar su obra que vio deshacerse en la tierra.

So I would have expected him Cote 9NUM/8E634/1 here p. 444 of 685 But there is only a Steiner , Eugenie b. 3 Nov. 1867. So I ask myself if he really was born in 1867?

In here a picture of him.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Aha the old 3 monk problem!

On the left-hand page, we have Nicholas born 5 Nov 1867.

Incredibly of his 11 siblings, 3 became monks and 2 nuns!!

Nicolas SEILER Frère Apollinaire-Marie des écoles chrétiennes (1867-1949)

Birth
5 Nov 1867 • Remelfing, Moselle, Lorraine, France [edit]

Death
24 Dec 1949 Bogota, Colombia

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back