• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clements 2023 Checklist Update (1 Viewer)

Mysticete

United States
Alvaro Jaramillo, on his facebook page, posted a link to a comparison between the 2022 vs the so far unpublished 2023 update. Presumably this isn't a final draft but gives some insights into the next round of changes. Most of the changes reflect recent IOC or NACC updates or are bringing Clements in alignment with IOC (Nice to see the Cattle Egret split, Pacific Hornero, and Western Woodhaunter finally recognized).

Of the novel changes I noticed was a three-way split of Intermediate Egret, and a complete reorganization of plovers, including (FINALLY) breaking up Charadrius.

Comparison of 2022 taxonomy with 2023 taxonomy working draft

They took the easy way out, put everything in Charadrius and Anarhynchus despite significant differences, this is really what I call the pinnacle of laziness.
Are the differences that significant? The separation of taxa into difference genera, when clades are monophyletic, is a largely arbitrary exercise.

Are the differences that significant? The separation of taxa into difference genera, when clades are monophyletic, is a largely arbitrary exercise.
Monophyly is not the only argument to be invoked to maintain a single genus, otherwise put all the monophyletic lines in a single genus, so the problem is solved and we don't talk about it anymore. "What? the Wheatear form a young and monophyletic group? Let's only keep Oenanthe and toss Myrmecocichla, Ermarginata and relatives in the trash" Meh! too easy

and a complete reorganization of plovers, including (FINALLY) breaking up Charadrius.

It's a huge improvement.
Just checked Cornell's Birds of the World Charadriidae - Plovers and Lapwings - Birds of the World 😲
That line-up seems remarkably old-fashioned and out of touch now.
Personally I'm interested in relationships between and within species groups/genera, and like Jim subdivide those genera for my own use. I'm not terribly bothered if Clement's or any other list agrees or not though😁

Another change I don't think IOC has acted upon yet is the break-up of Rufous Fantail, giving one of my new favorite common names for one of the splits.

Supertramp Rufous Fantail :p

Thumbs up for changes to flyrobins and flatbills from certain flycatchers.
Also cool, memorable common names - Ventriloquial Oriole & Supertramp Fantail!

The three-way split of Chlorophonia musica is news to me
It is 20 years ago that I first time heard of this as a likely split. I was told that there was DNA (at that time it would have been mitochondrial) evidence to support this. Unfortunately, never seemed to reach publication. The topic is also covered in one of the NACC proposals.
Niels

It is 20 years ago that I first time heard of this as a likely split. I was told that there was DNA (at that time it would have been mitochondrial) evidence to support this. Unfortunately, never seemed to reach publication. The topic is also covered in one of the NACC proposals.
Niels
I think a lot of splits probably have decades of conjecture about "Oh, they will be splitting that soon".

If you have birded quite a bit in the Caribbean, the last few years have definitely been good for you!

Much less in the Greater Antilles than in the Lesser, unfortunately. Never been to Cuba. But the Antillean Euphonia split is a good one for me, seen all three.

It would be shocking if they stood alone in keeping Pacific-slope and Cordilleran Flycatcher split, as the list states. I'm guessing its either an oversight or waiting on something procedural?

Anyone know the origin of the Supertramp Fantail name? I can't find anything online about it. Named after the band??

Anyone know the origin of the Supertramp Fantail name? I can't find anything online about it. Named after the band??

Supertramp (ecology) - Wikipedia - it refers to an ecological strategy of dispersing to newly available habitats. If the Wikipedia article is accurate, when the name was coined it was with an allusion to the band in mind.

And: it's a fabulous name for a fantail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back