• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clements 2023 Checklist Update (2 Viewers)

For me, the main problem with either Medium or Intermediate Egret is that it requires comparison with two species. This invites confusion when faced with a lone bird, or with two birds (are they Great/Intermediate or Intermediate/Cattle or Great/Little, etc.)? This is made even worse in Asia by the presence
Surely, when you have three species called Great, Intermediate and Little, it should be obvious that those names relate to comparisons with each other, I don't know how Cattle Egret would enter the thought process?

I'm sure I've made mistakes when ID'ing members of this group but there are features to look for and they are usually, identifiable in isolation.

Wagler's Intermediate Egret is one possible solution; it also would have the happy knack of setting the AOS in a tizzy... Another six years will celebrate the bicentenary of the OD...

An alternative would be to peruse a selection of synonyms: Midpoint, Mean, Midway, Centre/Centermost, Equidistant, Innermost, Medial, Mid and Middlemost have varying levels of merit or appeal...
MJB
Long-gapeline Egret, Not-quite-so Long-gapeline Egret and obviously, Little Egret or Kink-necked Egret, Not-quite so Kink-necked Egret and Small Kink-necked Egret.

Midway's out at once - is it even within the bird's distribution? Given the amount of people who don't seem to understand average speed cameras I think Mean must also be ruled out as liable to be misunderstood! We have a Middle Spotted Woodpecker so perhaps Middle Egret.... but having recently mentioned that there's no need for a qualifier just because every near relative has one, perhaps the best way to emphasise the sheer mediocrity of this bird would be to just call it Egret.* ;)

* Maybe Mediocre Egret is an option too?

John
I think we're talking ourselves in to a 'lump'.

It is only ignorance that makes people believe that applying a modifier to one name means the original also needs one. Gull-billed Tern and Australian Gull-billed Tern would be a perfectly grammatical and understandable combination.

John
So the clear solution to our egret problem that only the ignorant could object to:

Great Egret
Intermediate Egret
Egret
Eastern Intermediate Egret
Little Egret

Done, and on to the next problem! ;)

I'm plenty familiar with that song but was scratching my head as well... not sure many people were going to make that leap!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back