• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cold Temps and Fledglings (1 Viewer)

Good morning everyone!
I currently have two fledglings in a nest on my porch. They are older, I saw one of them test its wings out yesterday. Mom has been feeding them every day, currently temps have been dropping to 37f in the morning. Should I be worried about them? I have some heat lamps that I can set up, I have reptiles, but obviously don't want to cause any harm to them. Any tips would be appreciated or am I becoming paranoid?

Hi there "I" and a warm welcome to you from those of us on BirdForum ;)

They should do okay. I'm thinking the mom should be back and nestle with them in the evening and their feathers help insulate them as well. Keep us posted if you don't mind.

Hi there "I" and a warm welcome to you from those of us on BirdForum ;)

They should do okay. I'm thinking the mom should be back and nestle with them in the evening and their feathers help insulate them as well. Keep us posted if you don't mind.
PXL_20230324_015558326.jpgPXL_20230326_025330228.NIGHT.jpg
Here are the fledglings. They seem very healthy and mom swings by and feeds them regularly.

Hi IHFTH and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I don't think you have any need to worry, the cold is rarely a problem.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Update!
I went out to tidy up the front yard today, the two fledglings were hanging out in their nest. As I was finishing up one of them looked at me, then his sibling, he spread his wings, and without a goodbye or wave, he just left. I was shocked and scared thinking that perhaps the wind took him. But the beat of his wings told me otherwise. The sibling looked at me and went back to his business unperturbed by what just happened. Needless to say, I am relieved, scared, and happy about what just happened. I only hope that when the nest is empty they remember to stop by to say hi once they are settled in.

Well, it happened. When I got home after work I went to spy on the nest, and to my shock it was empty. The last fledgling decided to venture off into the scary world. I have some honeysuckle and other nectar flowers planted in the front yard in hopes of inviting the back for a nice lunch.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back