• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collared Flycatcher (Ficedula albicollis) vs European Pied Flycatcher (Ficedula hypoleuca) (1 Viewer)

jbpixels

I spotted a small group of flycatchers on migration today. On first sight Ficedula hypoleuca but going through my raw files made doubt about a safe ID on this one.
P L E A S E give me ID support.

Munich, today, park, oak grove and open woodland.

Attachments

• European pied flycatcher (Ficedula hypoleuca).JPG
    European pied flycatcher (Ficedula hypoleuca).JPG
    705.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
I spotted a small group of flycatchers on migration today. On first sight Ficedula hypoleuca but going through my raw files made doubt about a safe ID on this one.
P L E A S E give me ID support.

Munich, today, park, oak grove and open woodland.
To my eye it looks less like F.hypoleuca and more like F.albicollis, (which should occur in Munich?), the “white mark” from the Greater coverts looks perhaps too robust for F.h also there appears to be a white median covert bar in progress again not a F.hypoleuca feature, and if I may…add a very good shot jbpixels!👍

See what others say jb…..

To my eye it looks less like F.hypoleuca and more like F.albicollis, (which should occur in Munich?), the “white mark” from the Greater coverts looks perhaps too robust for F.h also there appears to be a white median covert bar in progress again not a F.hypoleuca feature, and if I may…add a very good shot jbpixels!👍

See what others say jb…..
Birds on migration. Thank you for your ID support and for your details.

1. it's a 1st winter black and white Ficedula (assymetrical width of white tertial tips).
2. in 1cy, median covert bars occure in all 3 European species
3. white patch to primary bases extends to p5 = too large for 1cy hypoleuca
4. grey behind auriculars and blackish primaries support the ID as albicollis.
5. call is an easy way to distinguish them in autumn (if they call).

Brian,

that's an extreme Pied. You might agree that most 1cy hypoleuca show white up to p6 or at most p5 (which is in the overlap zone) and usually that patch is visually small in closed wing. But admittedly variation is huge, so I'd withdraw my statement 3 ("too large" should be extended to "too large for most..")

cheers

It's pretty obvious that Ken is talking about the amount of white on the primaries and asking if it definitely excludes a particular species ... The white on the primaries in this case being the cosmetics.... But I really had no need to clear that up for you as I said your comments can be snarky ..

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back