• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collared Flycatcher ID in northern Iraq – Iraq (1 Viewer)

Iraq Babbler

Dear birders
Recently, we were able to photograph these two flycatchers ( ad. male and Juvenile) in northern Iraq.
We ID ed the male as a Collared Flycatcher which is vagrant for Iraq, last record was in 1962.
This male was exhibiting broad white collar and white forehead patch (part of it appears behind the twig), large spot on wing base (the bird is flicking its wing in the picture), no white tipped median coverts.
However, I’m not sure about the tail appearance (should it be all dark? is it OK for Collared Flycatchers); however the tail base is not showing cut-edged white, but it appear uniformed dark.
We did not put any name for the juvenile bird (probably a 1st cy female ), but subsequently it should b associated with the adult male ID.
We appreciate experienced views for this bird.
Omar
P.s.
We have the Semi-collared Flycatcher as a regular migrant.

Attachments

• Collared Flycatcher.jpg
    Collared Flycatcher.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 154
  • Picture 248.jpg
    Picture 248.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 119
  • Flycatcher -sp. Juv..jpg
    Flycatcher -sp. Juv..jpg
    314.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Picture 209.jpg
    Picture 209.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 103
Hi Omar,

I think the shadows in the first image have tricked you. The bird isn't black and white but it is actually wholly brownish; thus this bird is not a male in breeding plumage. The impression of a white collar is created by an overexposed patch of light.

IDing the first bird with this single image is probably impossible (though it's almost certainly not a Pied) but the second bird shows the typical tertials pattern of Semi-collared (with narrow and regular with edges). Hence I see no real reason to suspect the first bird is anything else than another Semi-collared.

Hi Tib

I agree the light exposure has ruled out the bird in the first image, however both are autumn migrants. after examining the 2nd bird I agree with your suggestion of Semi-Collar and more likely fits both of them.

Thank you for your comment.

O.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back