• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins bird guide 3rd edition in an App (2 Viewers)

Have found this, publication date possibly 20 July!
Think the price might come down though or I shan’t be getting it😜 (£9,999,999.99)

But that's an ebook - not an app (that blurb refers to it as the 'Collins Bird Guide App', but all the info there indicates that it's really an ebook). Collins' marketing strategy looks ever more like naked profiteering: sucker the eager punters into buying one format after another - and the very thing you do not do with that approach is to let on what the publication date of the next format is going to be before you've had time to accrue decent sales on the preceding one - keep the dumb consumer in the dark. Hence still no hint of a date for the app - or what the upgrade policy will be (not that we need to ask about that one, viz. no upgrades). I wonder how many will finish up buying the full set: hardback > softback > ebook > app 🤔👎🏼

Yes it is a bit confusing mentioning both app and ebook, I am hoping it’s just an app update and it’ll become clearer when released. I am not overly keen on an ebook format, I like the standalone app, or failing that a PDF which I can access direct from a shortcut on my phone. I have a few Kindle based guides, but am not a huge fan.

iOS version:

Collins 3rd edition.
Looks like a nice update.

Yeah strange that the Android version is taking so long. Apparently if you have iOS you just reinstall the app and 3rd edition update is there, but not for Android...

Yeah strange that the Android version is taking so long. Apparently if you have iOS you just reinstall the app and 3rd edition update is there, but not for Android...
For IOS, an app update resulted in the app telling me that there was an update and offered the $10 upgrade to release the extra/new content. So not even a reinstall needed.
Niels

You think reinstalling rather than updating gets your app updated to 3rd edition for free? :ROFLMAO: Well, good luck with that - and, if it is so, keep quiet about it because it's a bug they'll fix pronto. But, way more likely, if you have already paid for the 2nd-edition app... Updating and reinstalling are essentially the same thing: in either case the procedure will download a whole new app and data to your phone and install it. By default it will run as the 2nd-edition app - but it will invite you to upgrade to 3rd-edition in exchange for USD/GBP/EUR 10 (as usual, Brits lose out on the currency 'exchange'). It doesn't then download any further new stuff, because it already did all that when you updated/reinstalled (if you keep with the 2nd-edition app, you are then lumbered with the new 3rd-edition data taking up space on your phone even though you can't access it).
Presumably the Android upgrade will involve the same procedure/cost - but... months from now (n)

Hi there :)
Out of curiosity, for when it became updated for android. Can a single purchase be used in two different devices associated to the same account (phone & tablet)?
Thanks and cheers.

I believe it worked like that for me on IOS: present on both tablet and phone (or maybe there is something I have not discovered yet :) )

Hi there :)
Out of curiosity, for when it became updated for android. Can a single purchase be used in two different devices associated to the same account (phone & tablet)?
Thanks and cheers.
It is indeed compatible for both tablet and phone (iOS) No need for separate purchases. Guess the Android version will be no different.

You think reinstalling rather than updating gets your app updated to 3rd edition for free? :ROFLMAO: Well, good luck with that - and, if it is so, keep quiet about it because it's a bug they'll fix pronto. But, way more likely, if you have already paid for the 2nd-edition app... Updating and reinstalling are essentially the same thing: in either case the procedure will download a whole new app and data to your phone and install it. By default it will run as the 2nd-edition app - but it will invite you to upgrade to 3rd-edition in exchange for USD/GBP/EUR 10 (as usual, Brits lose out on the currency 'exchange'). It doesn't then download any further new stuff, because it already did all that when you updated/reinstalled (if you keep with the 2nd-edition app, you are then lumbered with the new 3rd-edition data taking up space on your phone even though you can't access it).
Presumably the Android upgrade will involve the same procedure/cost - but... months from now (n)

I didn't think so. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Since I don't have iOS, I was just going by what someone told me. He said the interface and all changed but he didn't have to pay for anything. Perhaps he didn't actually check if he had any new info, just an updated layout.

Sounds like the latter. Strange it takes so long to publish the update on one operating system and not the other. Must be something to do with verifying the update by the different powers that be.

Had new illustrations etc show up last week on iOS app and it did appear at that point, as if it was gonna be a free update. Today, those are hidden and there's an option to feature the updated version for £8. I don't really use the app, so I'm not sure I actually need the 'extras' - I have the book. I can look that up later at home, if I ever have a need to.

The simplest way to check whether you’ve unlocked the content is that Black Swan has an illustration in the 3rd edition.

there's a new update for android " Fixed an issue with illustrations not loading on Android 14, and added support for Ukrainian, Serbian, Japanese, Croatian and Chinese species names ", not the new edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back