• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins Bird Guide - errata and queries (1 Viewer)

Mh, now that you mention it, the birds are quite different there, no?
Yes, sorry Nicole - I was just giving an example of a well-known field guide that does depict underwings, to show that it can be done! But it wouldn't be very useful in the Palearctic...

Richard

No problem. With more than one coffee this morning when I answered, I would have realized that *dooh* ;)

PS: You never know anyway, hubby is American after all :)

Am I right in thinking that Collins will eventually reprint this edition with all of the numerous mistakes - as highlighted by many contributors to this thread -corrected?

Excuse my laziness, but I do'nt want to read through 200+ posts for an answer!

Good Birding

Andrew

A month or so back, free copies were being given if you joined the Wildfowl & Wetlands Trust, surely worth the extra for the year's membership and support of this organisation.

I can but hope that justice will one day be served by my unamended 2nd Edition (complete with multifarious inexcusable errors) becoming a highly sought-after collectors' item!

Richard ;)

I hope you look after that dustjacket and watch for spine fading sir!

My original first edition hardback has never been the same since my daughter was violently travel sick on a journey to Ynys Hir years ago. Fortunately she found a plastic bag to limit the internal car decoration - unfortunately it contained my new field guide. :eek!:

Bloody kids!

After a good rinse down it looked (and smelt) better but the cover dropped off soon after. At least I did not have to treat it carefully from then on and it has seen me well so far...

Good Birding

Andrew

My original first edition hardback has never been the same since my daughter was violently travel sick on a journey to Ynys Hir years ago. Fortunately she found a plastic bag to limit the internal car decoration - unfortunately it contained my new field guide. :eek!:
Well, my first edition is now in separate chunks, minus spine. And I have to reassure people that the unpleasant stains really are only coffee and mud from sundry parts of the WP. I wouldn't swap it for yours though, Andrew!

Richard

Last edited:
Does anyone on here know why the large edition hardback of this book is not being put out any time soon? I was informed in an email many months ago by Collins that it was going to be August 2010.

I have the first edition of the large format and am looking forward to seeing what the next one will look like when it finally surfaces. I guess in light of all the errata comments here Collins will want to produce the best large format hardback book it can. If this is the case it will be a truely magnificant book.

Cheers

Dean

Last edited:

Just after a bit of help before buying. Lars confirmed that the amended print of the 2nd edition is now out in most stores. But how do I know its the amended version, and not just 'old stock' of the first version which they are trying to get rid of, complete with errors? Is there is different ISBN number for the updated version? Amazon currently have it for £9 (amazing bargain!) but I'd like to be sure it was the most current.

Thanks,
Mark

Just after a bit of help before buying. Lars confirmed that the amended print of the 2nd edition is now out in most stores. But how do I know its the amended version, and not just 'old stock' of the first version which they are trying to get rid of, complete with errors? Is there is different ISBN number for the updated version? Amazon currently have it for £9 (amazing bargain!) but I'd like to be sure it was the most current.

Thanks,
Mark

the topografy on the inside is missing in the wrong edition !!

Thanks,
Mark

Hi Mark,

I could be wrong but at that price It could be old stock the're trying to shift.

Neil.

Hi Mark,

I could be wrong but at that price It could be old stock the're trying to shift.

Neil.

Someone asked the question about it being the updated version in the Q & A part of the Amazon entry, but no-one had responded. The answer might be to buy it in person at the BirdFair, then you can check a few key entries to determine the issue. Must be an easier way though!

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back