• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x40 Trinovids (retro): stiff focusing (1 Viewer)

orapple

United States
My brand new 8x40s have a rather hard to adjust focus. It is still easy to do with my right index finger but noticeably stiffer than I would like. All my other binos are easier to focus than this. Admittedly my Noctovids are “silky smooth” but these Retrovids are much harder and I don’t expect Noctovid quality for almost half the price.

Does this loosen up with use?
Do other owners have this too?
Is there anything I can do to improve it myself…beyond sending back to Leica service?

I am within the 30 day return period so I would be tempted to trade for another pair if I thought it mattered. Giving them to Leica for possible help for who knows how long doesn’t appeal to me. The image is great - really it looks about the same as my 8x42 Noctovids, except for the FOV.

I think this was alluded to with the 7x35 Retrovid as well, but not having one myself, I’m not sure if was an across the board problem or not.

My brand new 8x40s have a rather hard to adjust focus. It is still easy to do with my right index finger but noticeably stiffer than I would like. All my other binos are easier to focus than this. Admittedly my Noctovids are “silky smooth” but these Retrovids are much harder and I don’t expect Noctovid quality for almost half the price.

Does this loosen up with use?
Do other owners have this too?
Is there anything I can do to improve it myself…beyond sending back to Leica service?

I am within the 30 day return period so I would be tempted to trade for another pair if I thought it mattered. Giving them to Leica for possible help for who knows how long doesn’t appeal to me. The image is great - really it looks about the same as my 8x42 Noctovids, except for the FOV.
My experience with Retrovids...

Purchased a 7x35 which had a stiff focus wheel, far stiffer than either of the copies I'd tested prior to purchase. Told myself it would ease with use, but it never did, and actually spoiled my enjoyment of them. In retrospect, I should have had them swapped out by the retailer, but I made a poor decision and kept them.

On my next visit to the same retailer, the boss said look what I've just taken in...it was a pair of used 8x40's. We talk about 'cherry' copies of binoculars, and these most certainly were. The focus movement was much lighter than my 7x35's, and smooth. Fell in love with them immediately and struck a good deal.

The used 8x40's saw a lot of use, loved them and led to me trading the 7x35’s, because I simply wasn't using them, much preferred my 8x40's.

Whether, at the same age as my 8x40's, the 7x35’s would have had a similar focus feel, I'll never know, but I strongly suggest not. And, with such a narrow wheel, the effect of putting excessive pressure down on it in order to rotate it is exacerbated and makes it feel intolerably stiff.

If I were you, now having enjoyed a perfect Retrovid focus movement, I would ask the retailer to swap out your copy, or send your copy to Leica for adjustment. I very much regretted not swapping out my 7x35.

Good luck (and let us know your decision and the outcome)!

I totally agree with Bentley here. I’ve tried three variations of these retrovids and none of them had a stiff and heavy focuser. All three were smooth and relatively light, just a beautiful precision buttery feel. It really is one of the features of these classics that make them so enjoyable to use. Swap them out or have Leica service then, you will get so much more joy out of them.

Paul

...agree with Paul above but that said: they'll never be as silky almost-too-quick as say, a well tuned Zeiss SFL or FL. At least that's how mine compare. But def should not be stiff or draggy ;-)

My copy had a very stiff focuser which would ease after a few rotations. The next day it would be stiff again. I should have swapped them for another unit within the return period but I didn't.

I sent them to Portugal to have them serviced but Leica said everything was right with the focuser and that it had a special grease which had those properties. I didn't really buy that. The diopter wheel was perfectly smooth by the way.

I sold them, eventually.

Edit: 7x35

My copy had a very stiff focuser which would ease after a few rotations. The next day it would be stiff again. I should have swapped them for another unit within the return period but I didn't.

I sent them to Portugal to have them serviced but Leica said everything was right with the focuser and that it had a special grease which had those properties. I didn't really buy that. The diopter wheel was perfectly smooth by the way.

I sold them, eventually.

Edit: 7x35
I’ve had similar experiences with all the makers. I’ve learned that as soon as I take them out of the box if the problem wasn’t solved, I make the call or I fill out another repair form. I Express my disappointment and send them right back in. Every time that I have done that in the last five years , the units that went in the second time was serviced correctly. I’ve even gotten free accessories for my inconvenience and shipping costs.

The moral of the story, if you’re inclined, don’t give up. Make them get it right.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back