• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Commic Tern (Nottingham, England) (1 Viewer)

mike a

Dear BF Experts,

I took the attached photo at Attenborough Nature Reserve, Nottingham on Thursday.

Can you give me a definitive id?

Thanks in anticipation,
Mike.

Attachments

• CommicTern.jpg
    CommicTern.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 248
Lovely - saw both species today in the Stockholm archipelago, Common in the inner archipelago and Arctic in the outer. One useful tip I learned today was that Arctic have semitransparent wings when the light shines through them but with pictures as good as your the black tip on the end of the beak is decisive for Common.

Yorkshire always gets a good passage of inland Arctic Terns this time of year,not some many Common Terns

Yes a nice of passage of 41 at Pennington Flash earrlier this week, even got me out birding. Although with migrants and improving weather it's time to up the ant. I'm in the mood for Pied Flycatchers, Redstarts and Wood warblers.

Agree with this being a Common

Well, my "Advanced Birding" guide by Kenn Kaufman (a famous American birder), states "Common Tern has a larger head, longer bill, and shorter tail than Arctic". (Page 143).

Cordially,
Jim

Hi Mike. It's an Common always more likely than Arctic at inland sites. Great Photo.

Twite.

It is a Common but Arctics do pass through inland Herts and other neighbouring counties each year on passage sometimes in good numbers, especially during the second half of April and first week of May if the wind is in the east. They often do not stay very long at inland waters before moving on. Saw a minimum of 20 just a few days ago in inland Herts amongst many more Common's. In 2005 a massive flock of around 200 was observed at Wilstone Res on 4 May with smaller numbers at other inland waters.

There are always numbers of Common Terns around these inland waters as well.

Joan

I won't bother having a petty little argument with you . I've seen your posts and I don't like your attitude . Simple as.

ok, but here's the measurements from the Collins guide (that supports everything else ever written on the subject)

Common Tern: Length 34-37 (incl. tail streamers 5-8 on ad)

Arctic Tern: Length 33-39 (incl, tail streamers 7-11.5 on ad)

Arctic is actually a little smaller than Common so is proportionately even longer tailed looking than these measurements suggest, that's why beginners who are used to looking at Common terns sometimes mistake Arctic Terns for Roseates on the basis of their very long tails.

Interested to see any data that contradicts this

Rob

Rob is correct.

Considering the tail projection beyond the wing tip in the four Sterna species adult summer Common - Arctic - Roseate and Forster´s, Common has the shortest, followed by Arctic and Forster´s (approx. equal in lenght), and Roseate with more or less the longest, that is to say if the streamers are intact and not broken or in moult. Both Forster´s and Roseate are shorter winged than Common and Arctic, so tail projection in these two is also a result of that.

TheNorthernBirder - I shall not speak for others - but I don´t think Rob is an arrogant person really - dedicated yes, maybe a little prestigious - but so we more or less all are - we birders (read men) ;) B :)

JanJ

Rob is correct.

Considering the tail projection beyond the wing tip in the four Sterna species adult summer Common - Arctic - Roseate and Forster´s, Common has the shortest, followed by Arctic and Forster´s (approx. equal in lenght), and Roseate with more or less the longest, that is to say if the streamers are intact and not broken or in moult. Both Forster´s and Roseate are shorter winged than Common and Arctic, so tail projection in these two is also a result of that.

TheNorthernBirder - I shall not speak for others - but I don´t think Rob is an arrogant person really - dedicated yes, maybe a little prestigious - but so we more or less all are - we birders (read men) ;) B :)

JanJ

eh??

Roberta

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back