• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Comparing Fraternal Triplets: Leica Ultravid HD Plus 8x42 & 7x42 & even 10x50 (1 Viewer)

dwever

I have had some time to use my new Leica Ultravid HD Plus 7x42, showing up from CamerLand to join it’s 8x42 fraternal twin in the luggage today for a Friday departure to Kigali, Rwanda for some gorilla viewing.

Our first pair were the 8x42 UV HD Plus. For number two I lobbied for the Zeiss HT 8x42’s. But for travel, the much bigger foot print of the Zeiss matters; and, it’s nice that both my after-market cases, including a customized Pelican (below that has separate inserts for two), will serve the UVHDPlus 7x42’s as is. Now that the 7x42's have arrived, I am very glad we stayed with Leica. More in a minute.

This second Leica was purchased under the new Leica retail price drop effected the first of this month. Suggested retail went from $2,399 to $2,099, so that was very nice. The 8x42 and 10x50 were fully warranted demos from a show, and the 7x42 was bought brand new.

This review will be short in the sense that it will mostly take up the small differences between the twins. This review might also be a bit tongue-in-cheek. Optical hair splitting is an acquired skill, my own are primitive to be generous, and among us amateurs our comments can be skewed by numerous factors including purchase justification. :smoke:

Okay, to the glass. There is just a unique pleasing addictive quality to the Leica UV HD Plus image that I guess is mostly owing to a combination of image brightness, sharpness, and colors. That certainly is equally well represented by both the 7x42’s and 8x42’s. Every difference that will be discussed is not big of course, but I would have to say the 7x42's feel just ever-so-slightly more immersive than the 8x42's. And, the 10x50's seem to have the most drop-dead gorgeous image in sunlight. Again, these are minuscule degrees of difference, and all three look like Leicas.

A few of the differences between the 7x42 and the 8x42 and an occasional 10x50 comment also include:

Focus: The focus on the 7x42 and 8x42 is perfect. A big deal to me since I swapped out my first pair of 8x42's, but to be fair they were show demos. Anyway, the smoothness and evenness are just remarkable for a non-lubricated assembly. On the 10x50 I would say exactly the same thing when focusing down to close-up. But, on your way back to Infiniti, if you pay close enough attention, there is just a little resistance that shows up towards the end of the turn. Hardly worth asking for a shipping label for. In the field it is unnoticeable; if you're paying attention for a review it is definitely there.

Eye relief. I generally wear contacts, but use glasses occasionally. The 8x42 HD Plus are perfectly fine with me with glasses, but other owners have called the 8x42, "right on the edge of usability" while also pointing out they are also fine with it. So almost 2mm additional ER with the 7x42 should make a difference. Enough to recommend the 7x42 over the 8x42 for glasses wearers? No. Because I'm so used to the 8x42's being perfectly fine with glasses, but I'm sure the additional ER is nice.

Exit Pupil. Never had issues with the 8x42's, so the extra is not noticeable in practice in the 7x42. The ease-of-use for both is outstanding. However, I found at dusk what seemed to be just a little nod to the the 7x42's resolution in near darkness.

Brightness. An instrument or shadows would have to highlight any real differences. Side-by-side so far both are, well twins and very very bright.

FOV - okay, if you look for it. But again these are so close in perception I’m not having a Zeiss SF experience here. The extra 10 meters could be why the 7x42 feel a hair more immersive, but I think it may also have to do with the calmer image.

Calm Image: I had not really planned on including this, but I single hand my binoculars a lot, and with that, the 7x42's have a noticeably calmer image that also perhaps contribute to their immersiveness. That difference of course is diminished by using both paws.

Depth of field: Didn't really notice a difference until I was looking at a bird on a roof and focused on the grain of the roof.

Weight. I kept thinking the 7x42's felt just lighter. So I looked it up and it is 765 Grams to 790. Didn't know that difference was even perceptible.

Water. We'll see. Kigali is in the rainy season and getting hammered all next week, which is good as that tends to bring the gorillas to lower elevations, but I'll be a walking advertisement for Gore-Tex.

I'd do it again. It is worth mentioning that if I were starting over, and given everything that's available today, these HD Plus’ would be my choices all over again. People that are Jonesing for a post 10-year UV redesign maybe don't understand or at least appreciate the evolution of Leica’s industrial design and just what we have in the latest renderings in the HD Plus line. I would not buy the 10x50's again only because they'll probably become inactive now, they're not going to Rwanda. Who knows.

Were I buying something other than the Leica’s, I might actually prefer the 8x42 Zeiss HT’s. To me the HT image is the best out there, while the Leica to me is the most pleasing image available, if one can draw a distinction between best and pleasing (My MDX is my best vehicle, my Mustang GT is my most pleasing). But I do love the Zeiss HT’s.

So who should buy the 7x42's over the 8x42's?

First, maybe glasses wearers who don't want to be right on the edge of usability; but even then, you easily get used to the 8x42's ER with glasses.

Second, whilst ease-of-use between the two is so close for me as to call them equal, for some perhaps all the little nudges in the 7x42 in field-of-view, depth-of-field, eye relief, exit pupil, and maybe brightness will add up. And, the lower magnification is inherently calmer. As Torview said in his review, the sum is more than it's parts.

Third, for some specific applications like LE, I would take the 7x42's, but for various nature applications it just depends.

Given the increases the 7x42 possesses in field-of-view, depth-of-field, eye relief, exit pupil, and maybe brightness, these 7x42’s really could be given an ease-of-use award while delivering a premiere alpha image. As an 8x42 owner, I was just someone who went for more of a good thing for the family arsenal, but three is enough!

The big point is that given the overall similarities of these bins, the differences are merely nuanced at best (with the exception just maybe of ER). Most of all is to know you will be overwhelmingly satisfied with either.

As you can see from other threads, I have spent quit a bit of time with the Zeiss and the Leicas, and a bit less with the Swaros complements of Bass Pro, Cabelas (Swaro Land), Woods and Water (with no less than six SF’s last visit), and Gander Mountain. Of course what one purchases only gives testimony to a person’s affections not necessarily to what is best. I say again, there is just a pleasing addictive quality to the Leica’s image that even as a lay person I can appreciate to the point of choice. So I end with a quote from Tobias Mennle. Whilst I certainly don’t have even close to his evaluation acumen, the parts I understand or have the frame-of-reference to relate to, offer a pretty good summary of my own affections:

“Leica Ultravid 8x42 HD Plus: Most saturated colours, combined with great sharpness and microcontrast in the center yield outstandingly beautiful images. . . . macrocontrast often class leading together with the Nikon EDG. This fits with the high colour saturation, because strangely the Ultravid manages to keep the image center almost free from veiling glare. The view is very easy even with open pupil, and the field of view feels much wider than it actually is. Mechanical quality is good, and industrial design is marvelous. . . . compact and very easy to hold, with warm, saturated, glowing colours and superb contrast, breathtaking in sunshine as well as on a dull day or in the twilight.”

If I could only keep one. Honestly between the 7 and 8 it could easily be either. In a state LE vehicle the 7's, for general use otherwise, the 8's.

Pics: 1. Leica's shot of their 7x42 2. my 7x42 & 8x42 3. My Pelican case with single pair insert. 4. The big 10x50 to the left.

Attachments

• 7X42.jpg
    7X42.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_2187.jpg
    IMG_2187.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 746
  • IMG_1970.jpg
    IMG_1970.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_1923.jpg
    IMG_1923.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
Congrats on the addition, I prefer the 7 overall to the 8, and I barely pick up my EII or M7 at all these days, I definitely prefer a 10x50 over a 42 and really liked the HD+ in that format.

Last edited:
I enjoyed that read man!

Sunday I went down to White Springs Dike... I decided it was going to be a "Leica Day." This was the first time birding since doing so in St Kitts a little over a week ago where I used almost exclusively SV 8X32. So at any rate, I packed up the UV HD + 8X42 and Trinovid 10X42 and away I went.

As I've said before...I can't tell much difference between the Trinovid and UV HD +. I really like the size of the Leica's. For a non open bridge design they take up very little space and are easy to use and handle. Leica list the 10X42 Trinovid with 16mm of eye relief and the 8X42 UV HD + with 16.5mm....I think there is more difference than that. Those Trinovid's while still useable, have crossed the line for PERECT use with eyeglasses to get the whole FOV. I can finagle it and get it all but nothing as easily as the HD +.

I can tell where the image drops off towards the edge on both but honestly in actual use, one never sees it. I have to LOOK for it and yeah it's there.

The FOV of the 8x42 UV Plus is fine.... If I can't find it in it's FOV....I probably should just quit.... For it's size....in a 42mm instrument....it's really remarkable. If I had to give up my SV 8X32...I think the UV HD + would be my new travel binocular!

Great report dwever. I am glad you went through that process and found the bins you like. I am a bit envious of your collection. The 7x and 8x UV's would serve you well admiring our ape cousins. Have a great trip.

Update: having now used the 7x42 UV HD Plus extensively on safari in Rwanda this week, the 7 power in 42mm has become among my favorite along with the 8x42 for this application when looking for both bird and game together. While there was one time I clearly needed more magnification looking at game from a mountain down across a savannah, surprisingly the 7x42 was adequate or ideal over 90% of the time even on a safari with the landscapes as expansive as the Akagera National Park. On one 6a to 4p drive in particular, had I had 10x50's, there would of been far too many times it would of been too much magnification.

Were a safari really focused more specifically on birds or big cats, the latter which tend to occur at distance, in those more specialized applications, then the 10x50's become the choice, but not by a lot. Or, if in the Serengeti where so much occurs at great distance, again that scale of expanse would be an application generally asking for more magnification. However in more typical East or South Africa safari environments, the 7x42's were impressively adept. At locating elusive animals amongst tall grass in wooded areas or a vast savannah, and then giving you a highly satisfying detailed image once located they are unrivaled here. More than once they easily revealed otherwise undetected animals such as an unexpected monitor lizard entering some water in grass at some distance, or a hippo surfacing for air in the corner of the FOV.

Perhaps the ultimate would be a future 7-12x50 Duovid without the Duovid's current optical compromises and without the current weight capable of knocking out a wart hog. In the mean time be with someone, and share two: a 7 or 8x42, and a 10x50. The diminutive size of the Leica 42mm's have repeatedly been my friend on this trip. And so I am reminded in closing that the 7x42's do so much so easily while completely delivering a premiere alpha image, you forget the under rated ease-of-use factor. Not always fine-tuning your focus, the FOV, the EP, make this an undemanding joy.

As my job demands somewhat unrelenting international travel, particularly to Africa, I could of imagined at one time the compact Pelican case pictured at left ultimately containing just the 7x42 UV HD Plus and a second pair, either a 10x50 or a 12x50. After this trip however, I have concluded that the 7x42 UV HD Plus (or 8x42) is easily satisfying enough not to merit the additional concerns and logistics of traveling with a second pair when traveling by myself.

To return to birding, below is a locally referred to fish eagle surrounded by black headed weaver's taken with an iPhone 6, then with the same phone hand-held without adapter through the 7x42's. Picture was taken absentmindedly with eye-cup fully extended, so the big circle (bird refused to look my way). Did I really need to rent and drag around that pro-grade big-butt telephoto camera lens?

Attachments

• IMG_2319.JPG.jpg
    IMG_2319.JPG.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_2327.JPG.jpg
    IMG_2327.JPG.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:
Its good to read of somebody else loving a 7x42, surely the most neglected format in recent times, maybe enthusiastic reports such as this will tempt more people to give the 7x42 greater consideration.

I enjoyed that read man!

Sunday I went down to White Springs Dike... I decided it was going to be a "Leica Day." This was the first time birding since doing so in St Kitts a little over a week ago where I used almost exclusively SV 8X32. So at any rate, I packed up the UV HD + 8X42 and Trinovid 10X42 and away I went.

As I've said before...I can't tell much difference between the Trinovid and UV HD +. I really like the size of the Leica's. For a non open bridge design they take up very little space and are easy to use and handle. Leica list the 10X42 Trinovid with 16mm of eye relief and the 8X42 UV HD + with 16.5mm....I think there is more difference than that. Those Trinovid's while still useable, have crossed the line for PERECT use with eyeglasses to get the whole FOV. I can finagle it and get it all but nothing as easily as the HD +.

I can tell where the image drops off towards the edge on both but honestly in actual use, one never sees it. I have to LOOK for it and yeah it's there.

The FOV of the 8x42 UV Plus is fine.... If I can't find it in it's FOV....I probably should just quit.... For it's size....in a 42mm instrument....it's really remarkable. If I had to give up my SV 8X32...I think the UV HD + would be my new travel binocular!
You're referring to the Kowa SV 32? Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back