• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

comparison among the best 8 x 32 (1 Viewer)

George, I agree with Hgalbraith, Torview and other 32mm aficionados. I had the Zeiss Fl 8x32, and currently have Swarovision 8x32 and Swarovision 8.5x42.
The Zeiss and SV 8x32 were equally pleasing optically, albeit slightly different in terms of type of view. I found the Zeiss more "clumsy" in my hands (actually I'm the clumsy one), mainly because I found the underside the indent for my thumb too deep. The Zeiss had a wonderful focusser, though.
I prefer the SV 8x32 for it's handling, mostly, and I do enjoy the sharper edges. The SV 8.5x42 resolves a little more for me, but at the cost of a heavier bino with a narrower FOV. It is brighter, but it's hard to tell if the extra resolution is because of the extra 0.5 mag or the wider objectives. Experts might clarify that for you. In any case, I prefer using the SV 8x32 because they are light, easy to handle with one or two hands, have a wider FOV and I can hold them steadier. This evening I was at a lake nearby, after 6pm with cloudy skies, and the brightness of the SV 8x32 was remarkable. Highly recommended.

Hi,

I owned first generation EL's in 8x32 and 10x32. If I recall correctly, the 8x had a 420' fov and the 10x had a 360' fov. The 8x was a very slight hair brighter after the sun had gone down in those last moments before darkness settles in. If the 10x was held steady I could see a very slight hair more detail, but I couldn't hold it steady much. I liked the view from the 8.5x42 EL a very slight hair more than the 32's, but very much prefer the smaller overall dimensions of the 32. (I migrated to 32's from pockets).

I've often wondered what other binocular compliments a quality 8x32. (I don't hold higher power binos steady enough to enjoy them and I tend not to carry binos as they increase in physical size... so I don't think there is one for me).

I own 8x32 and I'm currently exploring 7x36.

CG

but I can only afford one and to me the 8 is a better all rounder.

The same for me. Betwwen the 2, i will prefer the 8x32 as an all arounder.
Maybee if keeping my 8x42s i could have the 10x32, but this will force me to keep both. If a good pair of 8x32s cover my needs, this can let me sell the 8x42s and stay with one great pair..

Sancho you said you have both Sv 8, 5x42 and 8x32. Do you think that with only the 8x32 can you be fully covered? I mean to have it as your all around pair?

Thanks again all of you for your help.
George

Sancho you said you have both Sv 8, 5x42 and 8x32. Do you think that with only the 8x32 can you be fully covered? I mean to have it as your all around pair?

George

Definitely yes. The SV 8x32 is the best "all-rounder" I've owned. Owning both 8x and 8.5x is a foolish extravagance, so one day I'll sell the latter. At the moment, though, I think it will hold its value better than the euros I'd get paid for it...;)

BTW, the SV 8x32 has a far smoother focusser than the 8.5x42, although it is still nothing like as good as the Zeiss FL focusser.

Last edited:
George,

Assuming you like the focusing speed of your Zeiss 8x42 FL (which is very fast), you may not be happy with binoculars which do not share this characteristic. I have Swarovski 8.5x42 ELSVs, and prefer the quicker focusing speed of our 10x32 ELs. At 405', the FOV of the FL compares favourably with the 8X32s.

I bought the 8.5x42s partly for their exit pupil size, which about matches the maximum size of my dilated pupils, and they are brighter in the woods.

The 10x32s are suited for open birding, where their exit pupil size fits conditions with more light.

Mike

Last edited:
Assuming you like the focusing speed of your Zeiss 8x42 FL (which is very fast), you may not be happy with binoculars which do not share this characteristic. I have Swarovski 8.5x42 ELSVs, and prefer the quicker focusing speed of our 10x32 ELs. At 405', the FOV of the FL compares favourably with the 8X32s.

Hi Mike,
i never had a complain about the focus knob and its focusing speed of my current Zeiss. Is there such difference between the FL and Sv 8,5 x 42 focusing speed? I mean practically, not so theoritically.
George

I had the Zeiss Fl 8x32, and currently have Swarovision 8x32 and Swarovision 8.5x42.
The Zeiss and SV 8x32 were equally pleasing optically, albeit slightly different in terms of type of view. The Zeiss had a wonderful focusser, though.

Sancho, even if the focuser of the FL was better you prefered to buy the 8x32 Sv. Besides the advantage of the best handling of the Sv, is there something else better from the FL's?
And something else. Since you own both 8x32 and 8,5x42, how much different is the focuser of the later compared to the 8x 32 Sv and with the Fl if you remember. I ask this because i hear many 'complaints' regarding the focuser of the 8,5x42 Sv especially compared to the Zeiss FL and Nikon EDG.
George

Sancho, even if the focuser of the FL was better you prefered to buy the 8x32 Sv. Besides the advantage of the best handling of the Sv, is there something else better from the FL's?
And something else. Since you own both 8x32 and 8,5x42, how much different is the focuser of the later compared to the 8x 32 Sv and with the Fl if you remember. I ask this because i hear many 'complaints' regarding the focuser of the 8,5x42 Sv especially compared to the Zeiss FL and Nikon EDG.
George

I own the Swarovision 8,5x42 and the EDG 8x42. Before I had the FL 10x42 and the Nikon HGL 10x42.

- view: please try them all, as stated by others: every bin has its (dis)advantages.
- focusser: absolutely perfect: EDG (according to the forums their is little doubt about this). It's silksmooth, extremely precise without any hesitation and you need enough force to move it. My SW focusses very good compared to my brothers' 10x42 Which isn't smooth at all) but it takes a lot more rotations (EDG about 1.25, SW about 2.5). Both feel better to me than the FL which was too quick for me.
- I have looked through the SW SV 8x32 and I don't think there is much difference with a 42 (only maybe in the first and last minutes of the day but it's much cheaper

Please let us know which binocular you eventually will buy.

I own the Swarovision 8,5x42 and the EDG 8x42. Before I had the FL 10x42 and the Nikon HGL 10x42.

- view: please try them all, as stated by others: every bin has its (dis)advantages.
- focusser: absolutely perfect: EDG (according to the forums their is little doubt about this). It's silksmooth, extremely precise without any hesitation and you need enough force to move it. My SW focusses very good compared to my brothers' 10x42 Which isn't smooth at all) but it takes a lot more rotations (EDG about 1.25, SW about 2.5). Both feel better to me than the FL which was too quick for me.
- I have looked through the SW SV 8x32 and I don't think there is much difference with a 42 (only maybe in the first and last minutes of the day but it's much cheaper

Please let us know which binocular you eventually will buy.

Hi Marijin,
i 'll have to find a store with the (8x32 and 8,5x42 Sv's) to try them with my FL's... Firstly, i wouln't like to buy such an expensive binocular and have problems with it's focuser..
Secondly, i really want to see the differnces in their view, colors, brightness. Ithink it's the only way to be sure about my decision.
I will be really mad if i pay all these money and get a less great pair...

The other think i have on mind, maybe (as other members already told me) i should wait for a bit more for the new HT's, to compare them with my FL's and if quite better buy one of those. Only problem that there going to be only the 8x42 and 10x42 on the market first, and we don't know when the 8x32 will show up..
I really apreciate your help,
and yes when i finally buy the new pair i will let you know which one will be as well as my impressions.
George

Hi Mike,
i never had a complain about the focus knob and its focusing speed of my current Zeiss. Is there such difference between the FL and Sv 8,5 x 42 focusing speed? I mean practically, not so theoritically.
George

George,

IMO the features of a binocular are best finally judged while watching birds, which integrates optical, mechanical, and ergonomic characteristics all at once, and from the user's point of view.

Speed of focus is significant in watching birds. Apart from your own eyesight, knowledge of a bird's behaviour, and where you are, getting on to a bird quickly includes the binocular's FOV, DOF, size of exit pupil, speed of focusing, and additional optical qualities which other writers on this forum are better qualified to describe. The second generation Bausch and Lomb Elites, and the Zeiss FLs are examples of binoculars that some birders find too fast. Many birders found the first generation Swarovski's too slow (My wife had her 10x42s upgraded to the quicker focusing speed later introduced by Swarovski.).

The Elites were subject to focus hunting: you'd turn past the point of best focus, then back through best focus, and on the third try get it just right. The longer you take to get to best focus, the more birds you miss. The ideal binocular focus speed and optical quality for you is a binocular that quickly snaps in to best focus on the first try.

Depending on your sample, you may already have that binocular, as there are lots of very good birders in Ontario and other parts of the world who prefer the Zeiss 8x42 and 10x42 FL.

Mike

Last edited:
Keep in mind that it isn't always as simple as just focusing speed. Focusing tension also plays a part. You can have a binocular with a fast focusing speed but if there is an appropriate amount of tension applied to the focusing mechanism then the faster speed of the focus might not seem "so fast". The reverse, of course, is also true.

Sample variation also plays a significant part. Case in point, I have two units of a particular binocular. This binocular has a very fast focus (under 1 full turn for close focus to infinity). The first unit I received has a fairly stiff focusing tension level. Because of this I find no objection to the focusing speed of the binocular.

The second unit I purchased has much less focusing tension so I find the focusing speed almost "too fast" for my tastes. This issue can make a huge difference in the comfort level of any given model and might explain the differences of opinion when it comes to certain models.

George,

IMO the features of a binocular are best finally judged while watching birds, which integrates optical, mechanical, and ergonomic characteristics all at once, and from the user's point of view.

Speed of focus is significant in watching birds. Apart from your own eyesight, knowledge of a bird's behaviour, and where you are, getting on to a bird quickly includes the binocular's FOV, DOF, size of exit pupil, speed of focusing, and additional optical qualities which other writers on this forum are better qualified to describe. The second generation Bausch and Lomb Elites, and the Zeiss FLs are examples of binoculars that some birders find too fast. Many birders found the first generation Swarovski's too slow (My wife had her 10x42s upgraded to the quicker focusing speed later introduced by Swarovski.).

The Elites were subject to focus hunting: you'd turn past the point of best focus, then back through best focus, and on the third try get it just right. The longer you take to get to best focus, the more birds you miss. The ideal binocular focus speed and optical quality for you is a binocular that quickly snaps in to best focus on the first try.

Depending on your sample, you may already have that binocular, as there are lots of very good birders in Ontario and other parts of the world who prefer the Zeiss 8x42 and 10x42 FL.

Mike

Just to add to your puzzlement the Zeiss HT will be out in Europe soon and its focusser does its job in 1.5 turns vs the FLs 1.1. This small slowing down will suit a lot of people.

The Swaro design is wonderful to look at and its optics are great providing the Rolling Ball is not a problem for you personally and providing the focusser is OK. However as has been said already your FL is extremely highly regarded and isn't a bin to get rid of on a whim.

Good luck whatever you decide!
Lee

George

As regards your first question, not really. The FL view is superb. Sharper edges on the SV, but I'm not sure this is important to most people. Don't dismiss the FL 8x32 until you've tried a pair...they may be fine for you.
On the second question, the Zeiss FL focusser was smooth and buttery, the nicest I've owned. The SV 8x32 is very good, a bit stiffer clockwise than anti-clockwise, but not much. The SV 8.5x42 focusser is smooth anti-clockwise, but quite stiff clockwise. This doesn't really matter in the field because it's not noticeable, but in comparing the binos at home, I do notice it.

I'd give the Meopta Meostar 8x32's a look.

http://www.binomania.it/binocoli/meopta8x32/meopta8x32.php

Very nice glass.

Cheers

'Oleaf',
I checked about it. Yeah, it seems pretty good, although i don't read Italian, and the Google translation was a mess.
I checked at the allbinos.com rankings and it was 12th on the list.
Why you consider that so good? Have you compared it with a Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica, Nikon or something? Just wondering why that one, don't misunderstand me.
If i go for a 8x32 finally, that would be the Swarovski Sv 8x32 for sure. I like it's design more than any other, and i see from the reviews that it's great optically, as well as ergonomically.
Otherwise, i am thinking to try the Sv 8,5 x 42. It may be the same size and weight as my FL, but if it feels right on my hands, it's as great as my Zeiss optically, i will gain a 0,5x (a little bit more resolution hopefully), with similar great field of view and still a bright image for all situations..

Thanks for your opinion anyway,
George

Actually the Meoptas optical performance is at the same optical level as the pre-ED glass alphas. Examples of which would include the Nikon Premier LXL, the Leica Trinovid and the Swaro SLC. What sets it aprst from those though is the ergonomics. The only binocular that felt better in my hand was the original Swaro EL 32 mm.

The Meopta is definitely one of the better 32 mm glasses out there especially considering the price.

I agree about the Meopta Meostar 8x32!! I have one and as FrankD says I consider it more like one of the last Leica Trinovid BN. And perhaps a little brighter...Very good binocular for its price!!!

Regards

PHA

I have the Zeiss fl 8x32 binocular and it is a wonderful bin. It is lightweight, smooth focussing plus its compact with views that are brilliant. Bright and clean images with excellent colouring.

Another option I would recommend is the Minox hg mig 8x33. These are a nice compact well built binocular with excellent wide images just a notch below Zeiss or Swarovski. Excellent value for money IMO.

Regards Gerard.

'Oleaf',
I checked about it. Yeah, it seems pretty good, although i don't read Italian, and the Google translation was a mess.
I checked at the allbinos.com rankings and it was 12th on the list.
Why you consider that so good? Have you compared it with a Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica, Nikon or something? Just wondering why that one, don't misunderstand me.
If i go for a 8x32 finally, that would be the Swarovski Sv 8x32 for sure. I like it's design more than any other, and i see from the reviews that it's great optically, as well as ergonomically.
Otherwise, i am thinking to try the Sv 8,5 x 42. It may be the same size and weight as my FL, but if it feels right on my hands, it's as great as my Zeiss optically, i will gain a 0,5x (a little bit more resolution hopefully), with similar great field of view and still a bright image for all situations..

Thanks for your opinion anyway,
George

George

Take care, the Sv is not the same weight as the FL, its 80 grams heavier. You may not notice this at home or in the shop but you may notice it after serveral hours in the field.

I certainly noticed it with my 2003 EL and it was one of the reasons (the other was the focusser going wrong) why I changed to the FL.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back