• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Condors, Jays, and Plastics (1 Viewer)

Good read and an interesting report, exotics and all ... nice to get the whydah picture ... ( sorry! ;-) )

Sadly all I can really directly relate to was going to San Diego Zoo back at the turn of the millenium when I visited the area (although did see condors at the Grand Canyon). The Naked Mole Rats especially stood out for some reason!

Last edited:
I know it's in the Western guide, I would assume the 'full' version as well although I'm not sure about that.
I am not aware of another major revision. The "split" versions do come after the the big books, so maybe it was added in? oh well, like I need much of an excuse to purchase new editions... :)

Okay, so final wrap up: what did I miss and what would I do differently next time

I really had no major goals for the San Diego part of the trip: that was really focused on visiting with some friends and eating a lot of food, which I accomplished on both fronts. Yes, it would have been nice to see the Little Stint, and I think I could have had I brought my spotting scope. However I didn't, and the bird is even then not terribly reliable.

As far as the tour goes, overall it was a success, with most of the major targets seen, even if a few like the whydah and condor made us sweat. Not counting regular socal birds that I wasn't really targeting or a few local rarities, there were only a few species I missed:

Northern Red Bishop: This is another bird that, even though the population has been around for awhile, isn't considered established. Unlike some of the other birds however, this one is a lot harder to come by. Apparently the population goes through periods of extreme fluctuation in their numbers, and this was a "low" population year. We ran into a pair of birders on Santa Cruz which deliberately targeted this species and spent some time looking for it, but missed it. So I don't think more time spent in the field would have given us better results. Also sort of makes me wonder, between the population cycles and the limited distribution, if the population in the ABA area might be on its way out anyway, and not fated to ever be "countable" Although who knows...urban birds are neglected.

Nanday Parakeet: This is another established species that is doing quite well for itself; It's considered ABA countable despite not being on the California checklist yet. However it's center of distribution is focused more on the western portion of Los Angeles county, and we just didn't spend any time there (nor did the trip's itinerary suggest otherwise). At any rate, this bird has larger populations in Florida, so I have other opportunities to see this species without returning to Los Angeles.

Other L.A. area exotics: There are very small and not reliably seen populations of Orange-cheeked Waxbill and Bronze Munia. The former, much like the Bishop, seems to fluctuate a lot. It's not clear to me these species are really on the road to establishment yet, and seeing them would have been random luck. Ring-necked Parakeets are another bird that is sometimes seen, however the main California population is centered in Bakersfield, with only a few birds of dubious provenance in L.A. Again, we made no real effort for the species and weren't in the proper territory.

Overall I enjoyed my Wildside trip, however it seems like many of the shorter target tours might be getting phased out by being lumped into existing tour (This tour is apparently being merged with the San Diego based tour). Which is a shame because I don't think a comparable tour is out there, and for financial and interest reasons I would have never signed up for a longer California tour targeting birds I have already seen and could reasonably expect to find myself. I do wish Wildside published trip reports, which seems a bizarre thing to not include given that many folks probably use that information to figure out if a trip is worth going on. Not sure I will be going on another tour with the company, but that is more about their other destinations being of less interest to me than the quality of the trip I did go on, as there non lower-48 options are more limited.

Feel free to ask any other questions if you have them!

I know it's in the Western guide, I would assume the 'full' version as well although I'm not sure about that.
It isn't. As I understand it, the Eastern and Western guides contain more rare/localized species than the full version.

I am a crap photographer, but our guide isn't, and he shared his trip report with the group, which contains some decent photographs of the Jays and condors

Here are some fox photos, all via cell phone to give you an idea of just how close they got to us

Attachments

• IMG_20220117_132506444_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220117_132506444_HDR.jpg
    499 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20220117_132756492_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220117_132756492_HDR.jpg
    640.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20220117_132622988.jpg
    IMG_20220117_132622988.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
Wow - that fox really is tiny! I saw the regular Grey Fox at Long Beach, LA during a conference back in 2010. The two could never be confusable!

I also absolutely see why it would make attractive eagle food. Fascinating that Golden Eagles would take them, but not Bald Eagles, and the viability of an island endemic fox is linked to differences in the diets and territoriality of two eagle species. Huge respect to the biologists who figured this out!

Cheers
Mike

Wow - that fox really is tiny! I saw the regular Grey Fox at Long Beach, LA during a conference back in 2010. The two could never be confusable!

I also absolutely see why it would make attractive eagle food. Fascinating that Golden Eagles would take them, but not Bald Eagles, and the viability of an island endemic fox is linked to differences in the diets and territoriality of two eagle species. Huge respect to the biologists who figured this out!

Cheers
Mike
Don't (didn't?) they train Golden Eagles to hunt wolves etc on the steppes in asia or something. whereas Bald Eagles take smaller prey. fish carrion etc? ....

Don't (didn't?) they train Golden Eagles to hunt wolves etc on the steppes in asia or something. whereas Bald Eagles take smaller prey. fish carrion etc? ....
I believe so. I have heard of bald eagles taking small dogs, but they don't seem to habitually go after live terrestrial prey.

I believe so. I have heard of bald eagles taking small dogs, but they don't seem to habitually go after live terrestrial prey.
FWIW: There are some Bald Eagles nesting far from any significant body of water in central California. I was told they feed mainly on ground squirrels. It would certainly be a long commute for them to regularly take fish or waterfowl.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back