• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Houston Texas (1 Viewer)

tgjames3

United States
Hello fellow bird lovers.

I am interested in 100% squirrel and rat proof ways to feed our local wild birds.

So far squirrel proof feeders and baffles have been no help and we are currently not allowed to feed wild birds due to attracting rats and mice.

I’m especially sad for the cardinals that I feel depend the most and Are starting their families now.

I also get mourning doves.

Please send advice.

Is adding hot pepper effective. I just read about this. What is the recipe?

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

Adding hot pepper, paprika or cayenne has not worked for me.

Hi and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful place. I would ask your questions in the following forum to get more help.

Hi tgjames and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hello fellow bird lovers.

I am interested in 100% squirrel and rat proof ways to feed our local wild birds.

So far squirrel proof feeders and baffles have been no help and we are currently not allowed to feed wild birds due to attracting rats and mice.

I’m especially sad for the cardinals that I feel depend the most and Are starting their families now.

I also get mourning doves.

Please send advice.

Is adding hot pepper effective. I just read about this. What is the recipe?

I use the squirrel proof feeders I buy from Amazon. They are wide at the top and gradually narrow toward the bottom where the perches are. The weight of the squirrels on the perches close the hole where the seeds come out. Occasionally, a squirrel will try to rob the feeders but are unable to do so or, seeing the narrow slope deters them from trying. Here’s the link for the feeders I use:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back