• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corcovado NP (1 Viewer)

Steve Lister

Senior Birder, ex County Recorder, Garden Moths.
United Kingdom
Having seen an incredibly inaccurate advert for an equally incredibly expensive trip to Costa Rica (would anyone pay £3115 for a seven night visit ??) I am wondering about some of the claims the company make.

Would anyone expect to see Harpy Eagles during a three day trip to Corcovado NP in early December?

Steve

Last edited:
Prices in Costa Rica often developed absolutely crazy some time ago. The chances to see Harpy there are very very very small.

Yes, that is ridiculously expensive. There has been a boutique hotel and high priced, luxury hotel and tour trend in CR for a few years now but that one takes the cake. However, there are still a good number of moderately priced choices for lodging as well as small, cheap hotels that dont have web pages.

As far as seeing Harpy Eagle in Corcovado, as Motmot mentioned, the chances are pretty slim. I havent heard of any sightings for some years (and have inquired about it with people who guide on the Osa) so wonder if there are still Harpies in that area. There could be a few birds there but given the lack of sightings and fair number of guides who work in the area, I wouldnt be surprised if they have disappeared from the Osa.

A better bet (although still unlikely) for seeing Harpy in Costa Rica is at Tortuguero National Park or the forests around Maquenque and Laguna del Lagarto. One to two birds carrying nesting material were seen at Tortuguero last year (very few sightings since then). No recent reports from the Maquenque/Laguna del Lagarto area but there are also very few birders who visit that area (good amount of lowland primary forest connected to much larger forest block in Nicaragua). I think Rich Hoyer may be guiding a group at Maquenque Ecolodge this month so it will be interesting to see what they find.

Having seen an incredibly inaccurate advert for an equally incredibly expensive trip to Costa Rica (would anyone pay £3115 for a seven night visit ??)

If happy to 'rough' it by either camping or staying in the basic N.P. dorms, it is only about 10 dollars or so per night (or was it 20, but cheap either way) if going in independently. Fantastic place.

Would anyone expect to see Harpy Eagles during a three day trip to Corcovado NP in early December?

No.

Thanks for the replies. The company and magazine involved seem to be convinced that they are offering a good value trip. But they also state there are 630 endemics in Costa Rica.

Steve

But they also state there are 630 endemics in Costa Rica.

And there was me thinking it was only 3: Coppery-headed Emerald, Mangrove Hummer and Black-cheeked Ant-Tanager......maybe they take in Peru and Ecuador on the way round ;) Sound like a very reputable company! Can you post the link - I'd love to email them and find out what it's all about.....

I pointed out their claims for endemics were a bit out and the company website has now got 'indigenous' in place of 'endemic'.

Steve

Steve

This is not the first time I've seen a reference like this.

You chances of seeing one aren't just slim. Your chances of running across a Harpy Eagle during your dates are about the same as running into Lindsay Lohan at the airport.

It's not really a 1 in a 100 chance. It's easily 1 in a million and probably much greater than that.

But because there's been a sighting in the last decade somewhere in Costa Rica, tour companies get to say nonsense like that.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back