• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cormorant ID in Namibia (1 Viewer)

ori76

I have been 2 weeks in namibia in a non birding trip, but I managed to spend some time with my binos as well as take some pictures. I have already Identifyed almost 100 new birds but I do have some doubts with some. Here is my first one. Phto taken at Walvis bay, where I saw mane cape cormorants as well as some white-breasted cormorants. But this one I wonder if it is a reed cormorant. I don´t see many sightings of reed cormorants there so it might be a crowned cormorant or even a strange cape cormorant.

Attachments

• PRFN4147 IDENTIFICAR.jpg
    PRFN4147 IDENTIFICAR.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 46
I have been 2 weeks in namibia in a non birding trip, but I managed to spend some time with my binos as well as take some pictures. I have already Identifyed almost 100 new birds but I do have some doubts with some. Here is my first one. Phto taken at Walvis bay, where I saw mane cape cormorants as well as some white-breasted cormorants. But this one I wonder if it is a reed cormorant. I don´t see many sightings of reed cormorants there so it might be a crowned cormorant or even a strange cape cormorant.
either that or crowned cormorant. I understand they're difficult to tell apart. I'd go with crowned because a) the tail is fairly not very long, and b) I can't see much evidence the back contrasts with a silvery sheen c) bill shape appears better for that one.

either that or crowned cormorant. I understand they're difficult to tell apart. I'd go with crowned because a) the tail is fairly not very long, and b) I can't see much evidence the back contrasts with a silvery sheen c) bill shape appears better for that one.
Thanks for tour detailed explanation

Sorry to pop in late, but yes, I second the above. Crowned is the much more likely option here. Reed is mostly a freshwater species

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back