• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cormorant using fish to attack gulls (1 Viewer)

Tiraya

San Diego CA
United Kingdom
I'm not quite sure what was going on today, but there was a cormorant on the sea with a flatfish that I assume was a dab. There were various herring gulls circled around it, I guess they hoped the cormorant would drop it. Several times the cormorant rushed forward and smacked the gulls with the flatfish. I assume it was just the standard cormorant defensive "nipping" behaviour, but with an added flatfish!

Was quite amusing to watch anyway. I can post some photos later, but they aren't amazing. I don't imagine this is a well recorded behaviour, but thought it was worth putting out just in case there were any comments on it!

Interesting! Seems like if that were a common strategy, gulls might just start lunging at the fish and the cormorant would lose it. Will be interested to see the picture to get a better feel for the situation.

Here are some of the shots. Had to save them as JPGs again so they are a bit pixellated but you get the idea. The gulls were on the water and the cormorant was charging them, so the gulls are flying off rather than flying down as the pictures may seem to show.

Attachments

• sa.jpg
    sa.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 195
I would have thought that the "smacking" is just a byproduct of the cormorant's attempts to fend off the gulls without relinquishing its prey, not "deliberate" tool use.

Last edited:
I would have thought that the "smacking" is just a byproduct of the cormorant's attempts to fend off the gulls without relinquishing its prey, not "deliberate" tool use.

I assumed the same. Cormorants exhibit the same "nipping" behaviour at nesting sites when others come too close (though, without the fish specifically), it is just amusing that it happens to have a fish as well.

I assumed the same. Cormorants exhibit the same "nipping" behaviour at nesting sites when others come too close (though, without the fish specifically), it is just amusing that it happens to have a fish as well.

Oops, indeed you did. Not the first time I'm afraid that I've blundered into replying to a post on the sole basis of its title! And agreed, an amusing (and interesting) thing to have observed and photographed. . ..

Oops, indeed you did. Not the first time I'm afraid that I've blundered into replying to a post on the sole basis of its title! And agreed, an amusing (and interesting) thing to have observed and photographed. . ..

oh dear Fugl, was that a deliberate pun...or did your joke fall a bit flat8-P

I couldn't help but resist the inevitable - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhJQp-q1Y1s

Looks like the bird is lunging at the gulls as they try and grab the fish - and the Comorant looks to be successful - interesting that its carrying food while doing it - remarkable!

It wasn't always the gulls trying to grab the fish, if the gulls came anywhere near it whether they were just floating on the water or flying past, the cormorant would go after them.

Looking at the flatfish, is it possible that a cormorant would have difficulty swallowing a fish that shape ?, maybe it knows that and just will not let anything else have it ?

Looking at the flatfish, is it possible that a cormorant would have difficulty swallowing a fish that shape ?, maybe it knows that and just will not let anything else have it ?
Nope, Cormorants are a dab hand at swallowing them, with their turbot-charged neck muscles :t:

All of these flatfish jokes are not brill. I think you are all skating on thin ice, witch is not a done thing ( much ) on Birdforum

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back