• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (1 Viewer)

sorry to be a bore again but- Bittern on stithians today showing well all day...

I'd disagree with the 'all day' bit mate. I spoke to a bloke who hadnt seen it for about two hours this morning. He left and the bird came out from right at the back of the scrub (from the road and looking straight into the sun). Took me about half an hour to find it.

Yellow-browed Warbler showed really well this afternoon at Tehidy CP. (thanks to JH Johns directions)

Looks like the cattle egrets are gradually moving east? Only one bird at Drift today. The Bittern was hard work today too by all accounts.

I'd disagree with the 'all day' bit mate. I spoke to a bloke who hadnt seen it for about two hours this morning. He left and the bird came out from right at the back of the scrub (from the road and looking straight into the sun). Took me about half an hour to find it.

Yellow-browed Warbler showed really well this afternoon at Tehidy CP. (thanks to JH Johns directions)

yeah i realised what i'd written after i'd posted. teach me to be more careful

Humes Warbler reported again today at Cot Valley, tho elusive. Cattle egrets still at Trencrom Hill and Drift. See website for all todays sightings.

Stithians

after no reports for two days that i know of the bittern has been seen again this afternoon in the southern cut off. no sign of the 1w ring billed gull though. plenty of 2w herrings and a couple of 1w and 2w commons...

thanks for your help chris. henerz does get reports of me from time to time however my reports are put straight out on rba meaning some people can update their sites before i even get home as was the case today. just for your information i'm the warden at stithians for CBWPS

Simon...

thanks for your help chris. henerz does get reports of me from time to time however my reports are put straight out on rba meaning some people can update their sites before i even get home as was the case today. just for your information i'm the warden at stithians for CBWPS

Simon...

Aha..didn't know that Simon.

Aha, I didn't know that was you too Simon!
The Stiths 08 list must be coming along nicely now with RBG and other bits and bobs.

Simon...

Were you refering to Me, Mr Taylor?! If you send me the info after you put it on RBA, i still acknowledge you with the sightings if its yours. Mr Jenkins beat RBA to it today though!

Anyway, elsewhere.......the Humes Warb is still at Cot today and Cattle Egrets are at Drift and Trencrom again. There are also 5 Spoonbills at Whacker Quay. Looks good up that end of the county at the moment.

Were you refering to Me, Mr Taylor?! If you send me the info after you put it on RBA, i still acknowledge you with the sightings if its yours. Mr Jenkins beat RBA to it today though!

wasn't really referring to anyone although i must say that i sometimes i dont e-mail in if i put it on RBA and its on the websites when i get home.. i tried to set my phone up to send e-mail so i could e-mail you from the field paul but i havent had a lot of luck with it. i'll have to try that again... no sign of the bittern today however this morning at first light i cut down a small amount of willow and scrub by hand to give a bit of a clear view from the hide. its only a small channel and is only any good from the left hand side of the hide. should the bird be in the right channel it should now enhance photographic opportunities. its not a totally clear view as one small bit of willow was a little too far out and i wasnt going to take the chance with it.

I don't know who it was Simon.
I think I saw the gull in question though a couple of days before it was first reported and it didn't quite look big enough or show any mottles in the mantle feathers for an early 1st-winter bird but had a fairly big bill and long wings which caught my eye. Might not be the same bird but I would like to see a photo of the claimed one to be sure.
Thanks. Henry.

I don't know who it was Simon.
I think I saw the gull in question though a couple of days before it was first reported and it didn't quite look big enough or show any mottles in the mantle feathers for an early 1st-winter bird but had a fairly big bill and long wings which caught my eye. Might not be the same bird but I would like to see a photo of the claimed one to be sure.
Thanks. Henry.

same here- i thought i saw it 6 days ago however just i was about to get the feild guide out of my pocket for confirmation it flew- and flew and flew. not impressed. i actually said to my wife when i got home that i thought i'd just had a ring billed but couldnt be sure. i wish i'd put it on rba as a "possible" then news of it may have broken before thursday.. it was the bill that caught my eye as well henerz.

bittern seen again this afternoon at 3pm (but not by me). dissapeared just out of site as i reached the hide. hopefully its here for the winter now.. its been seen feeding many times on frogs and newts...

Have you noticed pattern of the Bittern's habits of coming out of the willows at all?
From my sightings it doesn't seem to show too well in the mornings generally.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back