• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corvid ID help, Con Dao, Vietnam. (1 Viewer)

Found this crow in south Vietnam, does not fit with expected species as far as I can tell. My wife and I were thinking it maybe a Juv. Rook, but we don't have a lot experience with these species, would love some help. This bird seems like a juvenile, based on the evenly brown flight feathers. And the bill shape seems to fit with Rook more than any other corvid species we could compare to. (Unless this is a carrion crow with a bum bill? )

Would be a first record of rook for Vietnam if thats the case, I think. 20240111_093645.jpg20240111_083647.jpg20240122_175101.jpg20240111_083742.jpg20240111_083612.jpg20240111_083731.jpg20240111_093720.jpg

Attachments

• 20240111_093645.jpg
    20240111_093645.jpg
    275.2 KB · Views: 18
Maybe Large-billed Crow. Looks like it's in range.

EDIT: Actually, no records for the archipelago yet in spite of 124 other species being recorded there:

...or maybe a Rook indeed?

...Slender-billed Crow?
OK, I've run out of ideas.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240218-103412_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20240218-103412_Brave.jpg
    619.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Found this crow in south Vietnam, does not fit with expected species as far as I can tell. My wife and I were thinking it maybe a Juv. Rook, but we don't have a lot experience with these species, would love some help. This bird seems like a juvenile, based on the evenly brown flight feathers. And the bill shape seems to fit with Rook more than any other corvid species we could compare to. (Unless this is a carrion crow with a bum bill? )

Would be a first record of rook for Vietnam if thats the case, I think.
John, concur your bird is a juvenile (2cy) Rook confirmed by combination of long, pointed bill with nearly straight culmen, head shape and loose feathering to belly. Age is confirmed by presence of retained nasal feathering + unmoulted (worn) remiges. Bill structure readily excludes any of the Large-billed Crow complex, likewise, 'Eastern' Carrion Crow, probably the least likely, is ruled out on bill structure and head shape.

No accepted records from the region (SE Asia) that I am aware with the notable exception of a fairly recent record (year?) from Petchaburi, Thailand was considered of uncertain origin by BCST and consequently not admitted to the Thai List. So, the only issues seems to be provenance.

Grahame

Don't juvenile rooks only retain their funny bill for 2-3 months? So this is one that has kept its until mid-January despite having moulted body plumage? Perhaps more likely than that, more likely than it being a first natural record for SE Asia, and more likely than it being a rook kept in captivity in SE Asia, is that it might be a large-billed crow with an aberrant/unusual bill.

Don't juvenile rooks only retain their funny bill for 2-3 months? So this is one that has kept its until mid-January despite having moulted body plumage? Perhaps more likely than that, more likely than it being a first natural record for SE Asia, and more likely than it being a rook kept in captivity in SE Asia, is that it might be a large-billed crow with an aberrant/unusual bill.
No, they retain nasal feathering well into 2cy until spring (Apr) while feathers on chin from are lost sometime between Jan-Feb.

Grahame

I've heard that Rooks have increased in China in the past 10-20 years, which could increase the chance of vagrancy outside the normal range. The first record in Hong Kong was relatively recent (2017) but they have turned up a few times since then. All have been first winter birds, and those that remained all winter have retained the black bill and nasal feathering throughout their stay. Vagrancy into Vietnam (or indeed Thailand) seems possible to me, although I wouldn't have predicted it being as far south as this bird!

John, concur your bird is a juvenile (2cy) Rook confirmed by combination of long, pointed bill with nearly straight culmen, head shape and loose feathering to belly. Age is confirmed by presence of retained nasal feathering + unmoulted (worn) remiges. Bill structure readily excludes any of the Large-billed Crow complex, likewise, 'Eastern' Carrion Crow, probably the least likely, is ruled out on bill structure and head shape.

No accepted records from the region (SE Asia) that I am aware with the notable exception of a fairly recent record (year?) from Petchaburi, Thailand was considered of uncertain origin by BCST and consequently not admitted to the Thai List. So, the only issues seems to be provenance.

Grahame
Thanks Grahame for the reply. A lot of great info in there. We appreciate the feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back