• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica bird (1 Viewer)

Well the black spot is an issue then?

I think it is a young bird in its first winter which have started the moult towards adult plumage. Just like a summer tanager can have red spots on an otherwise yellow-green plumage during such a moult, I think this dark spot is the first part of what eventually becomes a full hood.

Niels

I think it is a young bird in its first winter which have started the moult towards adult plumage. Just like a summer tanager can have red spots on an otherwise yellow-green plumage during such a moult, I think this dark spot is the first part of what eventually becomes a full hood.

Niels

It looks to be a female with the white throat and the supraloral line, it shouldn't have a black breast?

It looks to be a female with the white throat and the supraloral line, it shouldn't have a black breast?

Mostly in these wood warblers the young males are very similar to females. That was my thinking - and I don't deny that you have a different thinking.

Niels

This is almost certainly a male MacGillivrays's , which have a grayish head (vs. more olive in female). In first basic (=formative) plumage, young male MacGillivrays's have a have a whitish throat, sometimes with some dark feather bases showing, with more coming in in the first alternate molt in March (fide Pyle).

Andy

A tough call and I'm not sure but am leaning towards Mourning because young males can show quite an eye ring and this bird seems to have that rather than the distinct, abrupt white crescents above and below the eyes. Unfortunately, just to make it more of a challenge, neither species can be discounted at that location.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back