• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica. Monteverde (2) (1 Viewer)

testoduro

Sorry again for the quality of some of the pics. Monteverde is certainly not camera-friendly.

1. Yellow- thighed Finch? A chick, hence no yellow thighs and the yellow base of bill?
2. Black-eared Warbler? (Or Three-striped, depending on the catalogue).
3,4 and 5. Probably the same bird. I don't know. The absence of a frontal photo renders my search in the guidebook fruitless. Pic 5 was taken seconds before pic 4.

Thanks again!
(This is Monteverde chapter 1, I threaten to submit another chapter of the series with even worse photos :)...)

Attachments

• Monteverde black.jpg
    Monteverde black.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • Mystery 2.jpg
    Mystery 2.jpg
    724.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Mystery 5.jpg
    Mystery 5.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • Mystery 00 spotted.jpg
    Mystery 00 spotted.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
  • Mystery 4.jpg
    Mystery 4.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
1) Agree: imm. yellow-thighed finch
2) Costa Rican warbler (B. melanotis)
3),4) Slate-throated redstart
5) presume common chlorospingus [don't think ashy-throated anywhere near, and anyway, can see white spectacle I think]

[Edit: in order they appear across the page, but you'll work it out!]

5) presume common chlorospingus [don't think ashy-throated anywhere near, and anyway, can see white spectacle.
Thanks, Stu and The Fern!
Yes, for pic 5 a chorospingus makes full sense, by far the bird I could spot most on my walk. I found its protruding eye in this photo striking.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back