• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica: the wood-rail formerly known as Grey-Necked (1 Viewer)

nartreb

Speak softly and carry a long lens
How to tell the two new species apart?

Range apparently overlaps in Costa Rica, where this photo was taken.

https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Gray-cowled_Wood_Rail

https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Russet-naped_Wood_Rail

Both have brownish tinge on the top/back of the head; is this spot more extensive on species one than the other? (edit: Yes, apparently it's more obvious on russet-naped.)

I have lots more photos, if you want to see a particular part of the bird(s). (Two adults and two juveniles traveling together, presumably a single family.) Not sure whether these two photos show the same individual.

edit to add: on Cornell's Neotropics website, the range maps argue in favor of russet-naped (this was at La Fortuna, in the northern part of the country). My bird's russet spot seems large enough to support that, but I'm just using a couple of online photos for comparison, not sure what the range of normal variation is.

Attachments

• 44607349761_e3fb61f466_k_d.jpg
    44607349761_e3fb61f466_k_d.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3803_scaled.JPG
    IMG_3803_scaled.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:
And speaking of Costa Rican rails, the greenish bill makes this a White-Throated Crake, right? (It was quite tiny.)

Attachments

• IMG_3828_crop_lvls_sharp_smaller.jpg
    IMG_3828_crop_lvls_sharp_smaller.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
That one is Russet-naped Wood-Rail, it seems that the brown patch on the nape is definitely more distinct for that species. Also, I know that spot, it seems that only Russet-naped is present there.
Yes, the other is White-throated Crake.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back