• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rican conundrums (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Just for The-Fern, as requested ;)

Attachments

• Pewee sp.jpg
    Pewee sp.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Unknown 2.jpg
    Unknown 2.jpg
    572.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Unknown.jpg
    Unknown.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_7692.jpg
    DSC_7692.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 31
Thanks, this confirms my original thoughts though Garrigues and Dean would dissent from your ID comment and point to bill colours for seperation?
Sorry, didn't read that right
Indeed the dark colored bill throws me off, however I think paler throat and (relatively)dark ear coverts tells otherwise. However I could be wrong

I believe both Eastern and Western are variable. For example, Sibley writes best separated by voice, and shows quite a variation in amount of yellow/orange on the lower mandible in especially western.

Niels

I think these [wood pewees] tend to be "balance of probability" unless you have the voice. There are characters to distinguish them and references differ in the impression they give about how robust these are. I'm personally happy to accept balance of probability unless it's something I've not seen before or it's v marginal one way or the other. I'll have a crack later if time / someone else doesn't get there first. Initial impression is last is western wood—dark bill and breast sides.

[Edit: my original request was for more pics of the individual you posted first, Andy—obviously the above are various different individuals. We were unsure whether that one was a tropical or wood-pewee, although I agree judging wing length there might be confounded by the angle]

I defintely thought Flycatcher but this is too washed out for Yellow-bellied?
I am unable to find a better candidate here... I have a couple of pics of very similar looking birds and I made Yellow-bellied out of them too, but perhaps you have other ideas ?
There are lots of pictures on the internet of alleged YBFC that look pretty washed out.

I am unable to find a better candidate here... I have a couple of pics of very similar looking birds and I made Yellow-bellied out of them too, but perhaps you have other ideas ?
There are lots of pictures on the internet of alleged YBFC that look pretty washed out.
Seems ok to me

I'll go with this as I have no better candidates, thank you.

We did see other Y-b F's but all looked like this....

Attachments

• Yellow-bellied Flycatcher.jpg
    Yellow-bellied Flycatcher.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 9
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back