• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rican Empidonax for ID (1 Viewer)

pajarito

This medium-sized Costa Rican Empid was photographed at Arenal Observatory Lodge in February, 2014. Note the apparent lack of any eyering, and fully yellow-orange, moderately wide lower mandible. The yellow appears strong on the mid-breast and under-tail. Not sure whother this is a Tropical Peewee, Western Wood-peewee, or something else. I don't think it's a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher because it has no eye-ring at all. The strong yellow MAY be an artifact of lighting, but I don't think so. Any suggestions? Solutions?

Attachments

• 404.JPG
    404.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 79
I'd bet on Tropical Pewee. Both the underparts and the bill look too colourful for either of the migrant species.

I don't think any of the Crican Empidonax sp. look like this, either.

I should have said "Empid", not Empid. I am leaning towards Tropical Peewee, too - although puzzled by the eye-ring/lore thing. There is a tiny fleck of white behind the eye, but that's pretty much it.

The concensus (including Johan's response) is "Tropical Peewee". So the thread is mis-named - should be "Costa Rican Contopus for ID".

A bit late to add to this but Yes, Tropical Pewee for me too. Color looks like it might be a bit saturated on the image but wouldn't be as much yellow on Eastern Wood and longer primaries would probably also be visible. Good species to know well, especially the vocalization, as it is a common, confusing species.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back