• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rican Taxonomy (1 Viewer)

Mysticete

United States
North American Birds has an interesting article from Steve Howell and Dale Dyer, covering potential splits from Costa Rica; Some of these splits will appear in the upcoming Mexico field guide as well as the in progress Costa Rican book. The article ends in a giant table listing all potential splits, organized by degrees of support (species given a 1 being strongly supported, species with a 2 which could go either way, and species with a 3 needing much more work to validate.

North American Birds has an interesting article from Steve Howell and Dale Dyer, covering potential splits from Costa Rica; Some of these splits will appear in the upcoming Mexico field guide as well as the in progress Costa Rican book. The article ends in a giant table listing all potential splits, organized by degrees of support (species given a 1 being strongly supported, species with a 2 which could go either way, and species with a 3 needing much more work to validate.

Could you summarise/list ones and twos for those (like me) who aren't members?

To me, their rating system is counter-intuitive Given your phrasing 'degrees of support', surely the strongest case would be where the split has 3 degrees of support, and the (currently) weakest where the split has only 1 degree of support?

It's a bit like dates abbreviated in the US system appearing in a book or paper where you don't know that the author is from the US until a date contains a number higher than 12: pretty well everywhere else uses the day/month/year abbreviated date system. If the US were consistent about dates, Bruce Springsteen would have sung Born on July the Fourth...:unsure:😉
MJB

Add me to the list of people who are curious. I had a gratis account at one point but it appears I no longer do so wasn't able to read it :)

To me, their rating system is counter-intuitive Given your phrasing 'degrees of support', surely the strongest case would be where the split has 3 degrees of support, and the (currently) weakest where the split has only 1 degree of support?

It's a bit like dates abbreviated in the US system appearing in a book or paper where you don't know that the author is from the US until a date contains a number higher than 12: pretty well everywhere else uses the day/month/year abbreviated date system. If the US were consistent about dates, Bruce Springsteen would have sung Born on July the Fourth...:unsure:😉
MJB
I think you are overthinking things. It's more comparable to first place, second place, and third place in a race. It's not meant to imply that X species has three lines of evidence supporting it, etc.

The article is almost entirely the table, which is pretty big and I don't think copy-paste would work well with the pdf format. I think also it might edge into copyright violations.

Here's the list of taxa which contain one or more splits; I think most of these correspond to existing Clements/HBW groups or have otherwise been discussed. Note that I think a few of these splits have already been accepted since the date when this presumably was last revised for publication. Some of the birds here are proposed lumps. If it's a lump, I will indicate it, otherwise assume it's a split. I'll add a few details if it affects ABA area birds, but otherwise feel free to ask if there is a specific split you are interested in.

Category 1: Evidence (genetics, morphology, voice, ecology, etc) strongly supports a split and its implied that these splits will be recognized in the Costa Rica book and may, when relevant, be also in the Mexico field guide.

Southern Lapwing
Great Egret (New World vs Old World)
Thicket Tinamou
Turkey Vulture (Northern vs Tropical and Southern)
White Hawk
Mottled Owl
Vermiculated Screech-Owl (Into Costa Rican and Skutch's)
Band-tailed Pigeon (Northern vs Southern)
Squirrel Cuckoo
Olive-throated Parakeet
Brown-throated Parakeet
Elegant Trogon (northern Coppery-tailed vs more southern Elegant)
Black-throated Trogon
Ringed Kingfisher (Tropical vs Austral)
Pied Puffbird
Canivet's Emerald
Vaux's Swift (Northern vs Richmond's (Mexican))
Brown-chested Martin
Rough-winged Swallow
Wedge-billed Woodcreeper
Olivaceous Woodcreeper
Black-banded Woodcreeper
Spotted Woodcreeper
Long-tailed Woodcreeper
Spot-crowned Woodcreeper
Spotted Barbtail
Buff-throated Foliage-gleaner
Plain Xenops
Gray-throated Leaftosser
White-flanked Antwren
Black-faced Anthrush (one of the splits here is Mayan which is already accepted)
Black-headed Antthrush
Streak-chested Antpitta
Black-and-white Becard
White-throated Spadebill
Slaty-capped Flycatcher
Olive-striped Flycatcher
Southern Beardless Tyrannulet
Greenish Elaenia
Yellow-olive Flatbill
Tufted Flycatcher (Mexican vs Costa Rican vs Choco)
Tropical Pewee
Yellowish Flycatcher
Social Flycatcher (Northern (Mexico-Costa Rico) and Columbian (Costa Rica to NW South America split from the rest, which probably need further splits but which are not detailed)
Streaked Flycatcher
Nutting's Flycatcher (Salvadoran vs Nuttings, but its implied the latter may need more splits)
Band-backed Wren
Southern Nightingale Wren
White-breasted Wood-Wren
Long-billed Gnatwren
Scrub Greenlet
Brown-capped Vireo
Golden-crowned Warbler (Stripe-crowned in Mexico/Central America vs South America, which probably contains multiple species as well
Common Chlorospingus
Scrub Euphonia (Split already accepted by NACC/Others)
Variable Seedeater
Scarlet-rumped Cacique

"Takes deep breath"

Category 2: Evidence leans towards species, but cases are more borderline. Some of these are accepted by the authors, and some are not.

Black Tern (American vs Eurasian)
Willet (Western vs Eastern)
Limpkin (Northern vs Southern)
White-throated Crake
Sunbittern
Osprey (Western vs Eastern)
Barn Owl (American vs Old World)
Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl (Mexican/Central American form split from South American)
White-tipped Dove (Mexico-Nicaragua split from more southerly form)
Gray-chested Dove
Azure-hooded Jay
Stripe-tailed Hummingbird
Gray-rumped Swift
Cave Swallow (Northern vs other populations, although exact number of splits not indicated)
Blue-and-white Swallow
Ruddy Foliage-gleaner
Sharpbill
White-crowned Manakin
Masked Tityra
Mistletoe Tyrannulet
Ochre-bellied Flycatcher
Mouse-colored Tyrannulet
Olive-sided Flycatcher (Western NA vs Boreal)
Black Phoebe (Northern vs South American)
Bright-rumped Attila
Tropical Kingbird (Middle American vs West Mexican vs South American)
Fork-tailed Flycatcher (Northern vs migratory Austral)
Tropical Mockingbird
White-throated Thrush (Northern (Mexico) vs Southern)
Swainson's Thrush (Olive-backed vs Russet-backed)
Canebrake vs Cabani's vs Isthmian (I think this is a split they think might be invalid?)
House Wren (Southern vs Northern vs Brown-throated)
Rock Wren (Northern vs Southern (south Mexico south))
White-lored Gnatcatcher
Warbling Vireo (Eastern vs Western)
Mangrove Vireo
Olive-crowned Yellowthroat
Rosy Thrush-Tanager
Stripe-headed Sparrow
Wedge-tailed Grassfinch
Yellow-throated Brushfinch
Orange-billed Sparrow
Olive Sparrow (Southern (Honduras to Costa Rica) vs other populations
White-eared Ground-Sparrow
Ruddy-breasted Seedeater
Blue Seedeater
Black-faced Grosbeak
Bananaquit (Carribbean populations vs mainland)
Blue-gray Tanager
White-shouldered Tanager
White-throated Shrike-Tanager
Yellow-billed Cacique

Category 3: Suggestion that more species may be present but need a lot more investigation. Presumably none of these are split by the upcoming Howell related field guides, and some may turn out to be nothing.

Black-bellied Whistling Duck
Boat-billed Heron
White-chinned Swift
Green Shrike-Vireo
Wilson's Warbler (Boreal vs Western)
Ashy-throated Bush-tanager
Red-throated Ant-tanager

The article is almost entirely the table, which is pretty big and I don't think copy-paste would work well with the pdf format. I think also it might edge into copyright violations.

Here's the list of taxa which contain one or more splits; I think most of these correspond to existing Clements/HBW groups or have otherwise been discussed. Note that I think a few of these splits have already been accepted since the date when this presumably was last revised for publication. Some of the birds here are proposed lumps. If it's a lump, I will indicate it, otherwise assume it's a split. I'll add a few details if it affects ABA area birds, but otherwise feel free to ask if there is a specific split you are interested in.

Category 1: Evidence (genetics, morphology, voice, ecology, etc) strongly supports a split and its implied that these splits will be recognized in the Costa Rica book and may, when relevant, be also in the Mexico field guide.

Southern Lapwing
Great Egret (New World vs Old World)
Thicket Tinamou
Turkey Vulture (Northern vs Tropical and Southern)
White Hawk
Mottled Owl
Vermiculated Screech-Owl (Into Costa Rican and Skutch's)
Band-tailed Pigeon (Northern vs Southern)
Squirrel Cuckoo
Olive-throated Parakeet
Brown-throated Parakeet
Elegant Trogon (northern Coppery-tailed vs more southern Elegant)
Black-throated Trogon
Ringed Kingfisher (Tropical vs Austral)
Pied Puffbird
Canivet's Emerald
Vaux's Swift (Northern vs Richmond's (Mexican))
Brown-chested Martin
Rough-winged Swallow
Wedge-billed Woodcreeper
Olivaceous Woodcreeper
Black-banded Woodcreeper
Spotted Woodcreeper
Long-tailed Woodcreeper
Spot-crowned Woodcreeper
Spotted Barbtail
Buff-throated Foliage-gleaner
Plain Xenops
Gray-throated Leaftosser
White-flanked Antwren
Black-faced Anthrush (one of the splits here is Mayan which is already accepted)
Black-headed Antthrush
Streak-chested Antpitta
Black-and-white Becard
White-throated Spadebill
Slaty-capped Flycatcher
Olive-striped Flycatcher
Southern Beardless Tyrannulet
Greenish Elaenia
Yellow-olive Flatbill
Tufted Flycatcher (Mexican vs Costa Rican vs Choco)
Tropical Pewee
Yellowish Flycatcher
Social Flycatcher (Northern (Mexico-Costa Rico) and Columbian (Costa Rica to NW South America split from the rest, which probably need further splits but which are not detailed)
Streaked Flycatcher
Nutting's Flycatcher (Salvadoran vs Nuttings, but its implied the latter may need more splits)
Band-backed Wren
Southern Nightingale Wren
White-breasted Wood-Wren
Long-billed Gnatwren
Scrub Greenlet
Brown-capped Vireo
Golden-crowned Warbler (Stripe-crowned in Mexico/Central America vs South America, which probably contains multiple species as well
Common Chlorospingus
Scrub Euphonia (Split already accepted by NACC/Others)
Variable Seedeater
Scarlet-rumped Cacique
I just have to find their French equivalents. So looong

Just a quick look but Vaux's Swift has already been split hasn't it as has Mistletoe Tyranulet and the Wrens, Canebrake vs Cabani's vs Isthmian?

Just a quick look but Vaux's Swift has already been split hasn't it as has Mistletoe Tyranulet and the Wrens, Canebrake vs Cabani's vs Isthmian?
The Vaux's swift split is the populations that breed in Mexico and Central America vs the Pacific Northwest. I believe they are still treated as one species.

Mistletoe (And Guatamalan) Tyrannulet were split from Paltry, however this table suggests they should be split further. The new splits would be the Northern Mistletoe Tyrannulet, which ranges from Belize to Costa Rica, the Southern Mistletoe Tyrannulet, which ranges from Costa Rica to central Panama, and the Darien Mistletoe Tyrannulet, which occurs from eastern Panama to NW Columbia. The Southern would retain the current name, while the Northern and Darien are still undescribed.

The wrens have been split, however Howell and co suggest that the evidence was insufficient, and that they may need to be lumped back together.

The Vaux's swift split is the populations that breed in Mexico and Central America vs the Pacific Northwest. I believe they are still treated as one species.

Mistletoe (And Guatamalan) Tyrannulet were split from Paltry, however this table suggests they should be split further. The new splits would be the Northern Mistletoe Tyrannulet, which ranges from Belize to Costa Rica, the Southern Mistletoe Tyrannulet, which ranges from Costa Rica to central Panama, and the Darien Mistletoe Tyrannulet, which occurs from eastern Panama to NW Columbia. The Southern would retain the current name, while the Northern and Darien are still undescribed.

The wrens have been split, however Howell and co suggest that the evidence was insufficient, and that they may need to be lumped back together.
Just own it. You're going have to go through every single item and explain. Might as well get started (and thanks for this interesting thread)

Some of these I can honestly see being split and making a lot of sense (especially the Old World vs New World sp. and the Yucatan endemics).

However, some species like Limpkin, Sharpbill, Sunbittern, Tropical Kingbird and any species in Category C, I really cannot see being split. Sharpbill might have the best argument but then it becomes a problem of distinct populations for other species that also share odd ranges courtesy of the Amazon Basin like Red-ruffed Fruitcrow.

But overall, I'm looking forward to see how many go through, since for once I actually have a chance for armchair ticks instead of just name changing in my notes.

Some of these I can honestly see being split and making a lot of sense (especially the Old World vs New World sp. and the Yucatan endemics).

However, some species like Limpkin, Sharpbill, Sunbittern, Tropical Kingbird and any species in Category C, I really cannot see being split. Sharpbill might have the best argument but then it becomes a problem of distinct populations for other species that also share odd ranges courtesy of the Amazon Basin like Red-ruffed Fruitcrow.

But overall, I'm looking forward to see how many go through, since for once I actually have a chance for armchair ticks instead of just name changing in my notes.
Sharpbill is the one I have heard argued most, and seems the most likely.

Tropical Kingbird could be a weird split from the ABA perspective, given that it looks like the West Mexican form seems to be the one that ranges into the southwest, and presumably the Texas and gulf coast birds would belong to the other Mexican species.

I'd imagine that Howell would advocate for splitting Red-ruffed Fruitcrow.

Ashy-tailed ( N Venezuela) has already been split off from Vaux's, by the IOC anyway.

Sharpbill is the one I have heard argued most, and seems the most likely.

Tropical Kingbird could be a weird split from the ABA perspective, given that it looks like the West Mexican form seems to be the one that ranges into the southwest, and presumably the Texas and gulf coast birds would belong to the other Mexican species.

I'd imagine that Howell would advocate for splitting Red-ruffed Fruitcrow.
Just scanned the BoW tropical kingbird entry. Wasn't obvious there was much differentiation between the populations. What's the evidence here?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back