• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Galway Birding (local patch) (11 Viewers)

Also about today were a Peregrine, several Swallows, Sand Martins and a couple of pairs of Lapwing getting down to business out at the Curraghline. A pair of Great Crested Grebe were at Menlo too. See Tom's pics above.

I wonder what this cold snap will do to the early migrants? Will surely affect the availability of insects.

Well done to all who brave the weather on Saturday to get that brief glimpse of the White Tailed Eagle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a reminder to anyone interested in the Galway Bird-Race- Its on next Saturday and if Interested contact Chris at Birdwatchgalway.

Pete had 14 Little Egret at Rahasane on Sunday as well as several hundred sand martins.

Inishmore Bittern

For those of you interested, attached picture of the adult Bittern picked up on Inishmore Island on Saturday. Photo by Peadar O'Connell. Bird was alive up until yesterday but still very touch and go apparently. Wasn't even able to stand when found.|:(|

Dermot

Attachments

• Bittern.jpg
    Bittern.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 138
I suppose I'm 'teaching granny to suck eggs' and apologies if so - but watch that beak! Injured herons can make a very quick and powerful jab directed right at your eye - I assume bitterns are the same, and I wouldn't want someone to loose the sight of an eye,

Keith.

Thanks Tom for the link to this Thread, I didn't realise it was here.

I'm not a bird expert but I love photographing them. I usually don't bother uploading shots of the Gulls around the Galway coast as I presume they are common and everyone had loads of examples.

I sometimes go Deep Sea fishing from Clifden and head to InisBoffin. We come across the American Herring Gull quite a bit as they stand out from the rest when following the boat. I'll make more of an effort to take shots of these birds and upload them.

Is there a local Galway "Opus" I can check out to match up the birds?

cheers

For those of you interested, attached picture of the adult Bittern picked up on Inishmore Island on Saturday. Photo by Peadar O'Connell. Bird was alive up until yesterday but still very touch and go apparently. Wasn't even able to stand when found.|:(|

Dermot

Stick it under a heat lamp! Heat does a wonder of good for sick birds.

Darren
Look forward to see your photos. There is no 'Opus' for Galway.

I relation to the American Herring Gulls they are considered rare. I know of 4 in Ireland in last 6 months. One in Cork and Clare and 2 in Galway.

Tom

Attention,

If anyone has a reccomendation for a good irish bird call cd please post it on the forum.

All these damn lbj's are arriving and my head is wrecked!!!

Darren
Look forward to see your photos. There is no 'Opus' for Galway.

I relation to the American Herring Gulls they are considered rare. I know of 4 in Ireland in last 6 months. One in Cork and Clare and 2 in Galway.

Tom

Hi,

I'm sure you are correct. When we are out, the boat owner often pointed to the bird and mentioned that it was a rare bird, but he didn't know what type of Gull it was. I took a few shots without taking much heed. It is only since I joined this Site I realized what he was.

We are going out again shortly now that the weather has improved.

I'm going to be more vigilant from now on.

I took a few shots without taking much heed. .

Darren could you post the few shots?

Just checked Chris Peppiate's recent sightings update and I missed a few from the list
http://www.birdwatchgalway.org/sightings.htm
County List update
141 Black Guillemot
142 Ruff
143 Raven

News today
The Surf Scoters are now traveling between Nimmo's Pier and Silver Strand. The Juv American Herring gull is still at the docks. At least 9 Iceland Gulls are still around along with the Glaucous + Herring Gull hybrid. News on the Bittern is that it's still improving. Negative news on the White-tailed Eagle, with a possible search taking place tomorrow. Spent an hour scanning the Corrib yesterday evening with no luck.
Tom

Last edited:
Bird Race Highlights.

It was really more of a bird stroll than a race ;) Not exactly a dawn start by myself and John Carey. More like 9-30 before we got going. The total isn't to hand at the moment.

Dangan
Linnet in Laurel Park was a very good start and the first bird of the day.
Willow Warbler singing everywhere in Dangan this morning. Good numbers of the common passerines in the trees here. Kestrel over by Menlo Castle too.

Nimmos/Mutton Island
Highlights were the American Herring Gull, 2 Surf Scoters, a Guillemot and 3 Great Northern Diver. Thanks to Tom Cuffe for pointing out the American Herring Gull perched high up on a roof over by the docks. That's almost your pet bird now Tom. About 5 Iceland Gulls were at Nimmos and toward Mutton Island. Disappointingly no Ring-billed Gulls were seen. A Birdforum tick in the form of Brendan Power for me too. Nice meeting you. That might have to go on the day list. ;)
Also Gannets and Manx Shearwaters were present out in the bay towards Black Head.

Rahasane
Some fine Black-tailed Godwits in summer plumage, 5 White-fronts and 3 Little Egrets complete with head plumes were the best. Also a few Whooper Swans still there. Large numbers of Sand Martins were hawking above the flood which has receded greatly. Duck numbers now very low there.
Also had a quick look over Lough Rea and a drive through the Slieve Aughties but nothing of note at either place. It did add Stonechat to the list though. Amazingly we hadn't seen one before this. We also had to wait until Loughrea too before adding House Sparrow. A couple of bankers like Grey Wagtail and Dipper let us down here too.

Some glaring omissions on the list too but an enjoyable day out nonetheless despite the at times awful weather.
Neil Sharkey will probably have a few to add to the highlights . They saw a Merlin for one. John might have more to add onto the highlights list too.

Last edited:
There appears to be a big clear out of gulls today a Nimmo's Pier 5 Iceland and a single Ring-billed Gull and no sign of the American herring Gull (AKA the pet), also no sign of the Surf Scoters but could have been at Silver Strand.

If you lads on the Bird race were any more relax ye would have fallen over. Its not about the winning lads its about taking part.;) Make sure ye post the totals. Any new birds for the county list.

Tom

Attachments

• DSC03018 120408.jpg
    DSC03018 120408.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC03032 120408.jpg
    DSC03032 120408.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC2992 120408.jpg
    DSC2992 120408.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCN1866 130408.jpg
    DSCN1866 130408.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 132
  • DSC03014 120408.jpg
    DSC03014 120408.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 124
I don't think we can add anything Tom. John has the actual list though. Nice pics above as usual. The Scoters were very confiding Saturday weren't they.

I was in Portumna Forest Park last Thursday. I suppose this is the place to put sightings from there.
I can add 144 Jay to the list from here. Although I find it hard to believe no one has seen one already.
Apart from that there were 22 apparently occupied Cormorant nests on one island. Was great to watch them repairing the old nests. Some of them, rather ambitiously, were carrying twigs (or maybe branches) more than twice their body length.
The usual commoner birds were present. Saw 2 Long-tailed Tits together with one carrying nesting material and 2 Coal Tits together with one of them carrying nesting material too.
Raven, Herring Gull, Water Rail and a Mallard female with 8 very active ducklings were about the best after that. Nothing startling.

Hello all,

The Birdrace on Sturady sure was hectic! We so far have a total of 70 species but I wil not post the total until Neil Sharkey gives me his tally. I know he has a few more to add so it might make 80.

Thanks to all who helped us along the way- Tom and Brendan.

Dangan proved to be the Highlight with Willow Warblers taking centre stage and providing endless viewsa nd audio. My suggestion for anyone who is struggling on calls and songs is to visit there in the morning and just listen and watch. Its done wonders for me!!!

:t::t:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back