• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (1 Viewer)

For the record Enda and Peter found the wood sandpiper on saturday - i went looking for it on sunday but only ticked Frankie. Visitors to the area may notice an unusual looking club-rush with a triangular stem in flower along the margins...

For the record Enda and Peter found the wood sandpiper on saturday - i went looking for it on sunday but only ticked Frankie. Visitors to the area may notice an unusual looking club-rush with a triangular stem in flower along the margins...

for a more accurate record Enda & Peter R. found the wood sandpiper on sunday morning in flight.Gerry relocated it on sunday evening on the deck.

Last edited:
South Africa

Hi All just back form a great 3 weeks in South Africa..almost too many birds to take in. Here ara a few shots.

Attachments

• Marsh Owl.JPG
    Marsh Owl.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Natal Robin.JPG
    Natal Robin.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 48
  • Orange brested Sunbird.JPG
    Orange brested Sunbird.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Red billed Oxpecker.JPG
    Red billed Oxpecker.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Red headed Finch.JPG
    Red headed Finch.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 122
South Africa

and a few more...

Attachments

• African Stonechat.JPG
    African Stonechat.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Cape Robin.JPG
    Cape Robin.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 47
  • Guineafowl.JPG
    Guineafowl.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Speckeled Pigeon.JPG
    Speckeled Pigeon.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 45
Little Tern Conservation Project at Baltray.
All hatchings are complete so we have another 2 weeks until our chicks are flying well enough to escape predators, we will therefore continue the wardening for 2 more weeks

In first photo below are adult and chick, look towards the left side of the green plant to see chick hiding behind it. Second photo shows adult Little Tern in flight.

Attachments

• tn_Adult & Chick.JPG
    tn_Adult & Chick.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 64
  • tn_IMG_9281A.JPG
    tn_IMG_9281A.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 51
South Africa pics

and a few more.........

Attachments

• Cape francolin.JPG
    Cape francolin.JPG
    220.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Ant eating Chat.JPG
    Ant eating Chat.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 52
  • Cape Sparrow.JPG
    Cape Sparrow.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Cape wagtail.JPG
    Cape wagtail.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Crowned Cranes.JPG
    Crowned Cranes.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 50
and more........

Attachments

• Double collared Sunbird.JPG
    Double collared Sunbird.JPG
    140.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Hadeda Ibis.JPG
    Hadeda Ibis.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Long billed Pipit.JPG
    Long billed Pipit.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Red winged Blackbird.JPG
    Red winged Blackbird.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Southern Boubou.JPG
    Southern Boubou.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 47
Any pelagic pics??? ;)

See Ya,
Niall

Hi Niall,

The pelagic was cancelled the evening before I was to go out. 'It was like a death in the family'.
Apparently cancellations are regular enough during the winter...but that was little comfort.
I did get to go cage diving with the Great White Sharks off Seal Island so that kind of made up for it.

Out and About

I managed to get out today for a stint at Baltray and up to Ballymac. The best at Baltray was a single Ruff.There were about 1000 Terns at Baltray mostly Common but also about 8 Roseate Terns. I had a sinlge Green Sandpiper at Ballymascanlan Esturay.

my list

148 Green Sandpiper

Probably drawn by the large numbers of Terns on the beach at Baltray, I have seen Arctic Skuas there yesterday and again this morning. There were 5 of them at one stage yesterday afternoon and 3 of them spent time on the beach in between harassing terns. There was a single Skua there this morning. The views of these birds yesterday would have been excellent but for the miserable weather conditions!

Disturbed a sparrowhawk who was cleaning out the third swallow brood in a barn down the road. The sparrowhawk had flown in the slightly ajar ground level door but couldn't figure out how to fly out . Meanwhile about 15 swallows going bezerk in the confined space. I opened the door wider to let him escape....

Attachments

• sparrowhawk shed edit.jpg
    sparrowhawk shed edit.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 73
A couple of pics taken at Baltray yesterday showing the flocks of Terns.

Attachments

• tn_IMG_9450.JPG
    tn_IMG_9450.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 68
  • tn_IMG_9461.JPG
    tn_IMG_9461.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 58
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back