• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (56 Viewers)

That little stint would put Enda at 170!

Today I had a lone swallow. Otherwise trying to photograph coal tits in the garden while i put a 500 page regulatory filing together and wish i was in Cork...or Galway or somewhere!

Anyone else see the adult med gull at Cruisetown with a large bright green ring on the right leg? Any ideas where it might be from??

I did some research on the web re green ringed med gulls and came across this site
http://home.scarlet.be/~pin02658/cr-MediterraGull.htm
It appears the Cruisetown bird is from France, Germany or Belgium.
Might be interesting to see if we can get further details - have a look for it at the weekend!

The Forster's Tern was still at Cruistown this morning.
A flock of about 70 birds at Hermitage included lots of Greenfinch, Goldfinch and Meadow Pipit.

Attachments

• tn_Forster's Tern Cruistown 25.JPG
    tn_Forster's Tern Cruistown 25.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 79
Oscar had a black-throated diver and a slavonian grebe off Dunaney point on Saturday during the Brent/GP national survey. There was a curlew sandpiper at the docks on Sunday...

Maurice Conaghy had a Barnacle Goose at the beach at Baltray today. It was with approx 200 Brent Geese. It flew off in the general direction of Drogheda.

merlin pic

Oscar had a black-throated diver and a slavonian grebe off Dunaney point on Saturday during the Brent/GP national survey. There was a curlew sandpiper at the docks on Sunday...

Here is a pic of Merlin at Hermitage just after making a kill on the beach.Gerry.

Attachments

• IMG_6560_edited.jpg
    IMG_6560_edited.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 103
Great photo of the Merlin Gerry!
At Cruistown today 2 Whooper Swans out in the sea and about 200 Golden Plover in 2 seperate groups.
A lot of work going on at Hermitage, they seem to be putting large rocks between the beach and the adjoining garden.

Had a long-eared owl calling last night and the night before. Yesterday watched a "gathering of magpies" - 56 birds in all in a few hawthorn bushes - I understand that this behavior is an attempt to displace a territory holder who is perceived to be weak. Presumed merlin out at sea this morning hunting along the shore towards Dundalk. Word of a barn owl seen in the vicinity of Tippings wood.

See Peter's pics of the scarlet tanager and the white-throated sparrow which he found on Cape - 3rd Irish record: http://www.surfbirds.com/cgi-bin/gallery/display.cgi?gallery=gallery9

Last edited:
A few weeks ago I got a call concerning an injured kestrel. Anyway to cut a long story short, the bird did not have any major problems apart from a wing that was hsnging a bit loose at the shoulder (no broken bones and bird could more or less fold its wings but could not fly) so I kept it quiet in a box for a few days feeding it on defrosted juv rats from a reliable source and then transferred it to a bigger outhouse with several perches. Anyway after a total of 18 days confinement it finally flew onto the sill of the outhouse when i was feeding it, and then a bit shambolically, across the field, before crashing into a bale of hay. Anyway I decided to leave it and threw the rat into the shed anyway. A few days later I noticed that the bird was apparently roosting in the shed, so I threw in some more food and it is now regularly returning to the shed looking to be fed...see pic.

(NB: This was a one-off - I do not rehab injured raptors!)

Attachments

• kestrel rehab.jpg
    kestrel rehab.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
At Blackrock tonight - 11.30pm a small bird flew in off the sea - it appeared confused by the street lights and flew round eratically (I initially thought it was a bat!) before heading over the roofs of the shops on the sea front. I could not make out any details but approx size of a goldcrest - do goldcrests undertake night migration?

By the way - congrats to Peter on his brilliant find! WELL DONE. Hope he takes a few nice rare ones back from Cape with him.

Last edited:
Snow Bunting

Some pics of Snow Bunting found by Don Hodgers at Salterstown (Annagassan end) this afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_1582.JPG
    IMG_1582.JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1583.JPG
    IMG_1583.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1593.jpg
    IMG_1593.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1570.jpg
    IMG_1570.jpg
    273.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1598.jpg
    IMG_1598.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back