• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (11 Viewers)

I am recalling too that there were articles in local papers summer before last about them removing ivy from some exotic precious trees discovered by people from the Woodland Trust in the old Daisyhill woodland. I think one of the trees is a walnut and forget names of others but anyhow they were looking volunteers to help remove ivy and bamboo as well as other work.

Nice shots Derek and not an ivy leaf in sight.Good to see your getting the hang of that new lens!

Yes, Dolce I can see the sence in removing Ivy from Specimen trees in gardens. Not much point growing a tree for its beautiful bark or shape, only to have it covered in that green thick stuff.

I had other birds which seemed to sit quite high up in trees too swaying their heads and body over and back constantly on branch and singing beautifully for hours at a time, not sure what ?

Possibly a mistle thrush? They like to sing only when the wind is blowing and will choose the highest point (they are also called storm cocks - the wind helps carry their song).

Lunchtime visitor

This colourful pheasant rose up just in front of me in Bellingham today , like the way the branches made up a natural frame , John

Attachments

• pheasant cb1s.jpg
    pheasant cb1s.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 72
Where at Baltray were the snow buntings seen/
Do you remember where we used to park during the Little Tern project last year? You just walk from where the cars would have been towards the beach and as you cross that wee hill 2 birds flew up in front of Maurice. He then moved out towards the beach and on towards the river wall. As he approached the Boyne wall, there were about 6 Snow Buntings there.
We walked the same path this evening but no luck. Maurice would have had his 2 dogs with him, so not sure if that would have helped in raising the birds - Maurice, can you please correct me if I have anything wrong here.

At least 2 Snow Buntings seen in Baltray today by Tommy around 14.15
They seem to be in the same place as yesterday, Tommy saw them as he walked from where we used to park during the Little Tern project out towards the beach.

Getting up to 3 Siskins on the bird feeder most days now.
Put up a seed feeder filled with nyjer seed about a week ago but still waiting for an influx of Goldfinches!!!

Attachments

• tn_Siskin in Garden 15.JPG
    tn_Siskin in Garden 15.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 59
  • tn_Siskin in Garden 20.JPG
    tn_Siskin in Garden 20.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 61
  • tn_Siskin in Garden 24.JPG
    tn_Siskin in Garden 24.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 67
F.Y.I. - Per ENDA - 4 Snow Buntings currently at Baltray.
Got the Snow Buntings today, they are quite confiding. Enda and I saw them as we walked from where we used to park the cars towards the beach. They were on the shingle straight out from there. They later moved and Enda saw them up at the Boyne river wall.
Enda should have some good photos too.

Attachments

• tn_Snow Bunting at Baltay 7A.JPG
    tn_Snow Bunting at Baltay 7A.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 69
  • tn_Snow Bunting at Baltray 2A.JPG
    tn_Snow Bunting at Baltray 2A.JPG
    245.1 KB · Views: 85
  • tn_Snow Bunting at Baltray 4A.JPG
    tn_Snow Bunting at Baltray 4A.JPG
    229.7 KB · Views: 77
  • tn_Snow Bunting at Baltray 5A.JPG
    tn_Snow Bunting at Baltray 5A.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Great photos Margaret! How far were you away from them - you look like you were right beside them.
I digiscoped those photos Derek, but had they not taken off, I reckon that we would have got quite a bit closer to them. As it was I would say that at times they were about 15 ft away from where Enda and I were standing. What would you think Enda?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back