• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Couple of days birding in...??? (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
Me and partnyorsha have made a spur-of-the-moment decsion to go away for a couple of night's B&B sometime during w/c 21st June.

Haven't decided where yet, anyone suggest anywhere cracking bird-wise???

Norfolk. Stay in Holt, it has some form of nightlife, whilst everying on the coast seems to closed at 20:30hrs. There a wonderful Balti House in Holt but try and book before hand as they get very busy - it's often full of birders!

Based in Holt you are in a good place for the whole of the north Norfolk coastline and close to the Swanton Novers Honey Buzzard watch point. Also the brecklands for Stone Curlew etc is only about 45 mins drive away.

Enjoy!

Dave Carr

Well, if you're in Norfolk then Norwich is perhaps better in terms of being central. Much more in the way of evening entertainment as well as a good bit of heritage and history.

Titchwell, Cley & the north norfolk coast, Minsmere, Hickling Broad reserve ( & the rest of the Norfolk Broads), Winterton Dunes, Brecklands are all within easy range. Yare valley reserves ( Strumpshaw, Surlingham, Wheatfen, Buckenham ) very close where you also stand a good chance to see swallowtail butterfly right now.

As dave above says ... enjoy !

Last edited:
Birdman

Try Northumberland. the scenery is great, the people very hospitable and the birding opportunities are endless. given the chance a weekend on Lindifarne mixed in with a visit to the Farnes in June should reap excellent results birdwise.

Steve J - Darlo

Thanks all...

Dave, Carlos,

Norfolk, I think was the "obvious" place, but thanks indeed for the info. Last time we visited the birding was great as usual, but the village we stayed in shut at about 4.30pm! I'm not much for nightlife, but it would've been handy to find a cafe that opened in the evening! Like the sound of the Balti House, Dave, and a Swallowtail, Carlos, would be great!

Steve,

Forgot about the Farnes would you believe. Partnyorsha was going to take me there as my birthday present a couple of years back, but Foot & Mouth happened and we ended up going nowhere! Never did get back, but would love it, and as long as the birding is good in June, then I think it's in pole position...

... or maybe Norfolk...

Still a bit of research time left, if anyone has any more suggestions?

Definitely Northumberland. No other choice worth considering. The Farnes are at their best in late June.

Remember to wear a hat, though, so that when the Arctic Terns perch on your head, they don't crap in your hair.

Michael

Thanks folks...

Got three nights booked B&B (24, 25 and 26) and the all-day trip to the Farnes booked for Weds 25.

The Arctics will be a lifer for me, and hopefully Roseates will be there too (hmm?).

Anything else kicking around I should keep an eye out for, either on the islands or elsewhere?

Seems I am too late to persuade you to join us darn sarf for the Devon Bash. I was gonna tease you with the prospect of some cream teas, oh and some birds too! I really hope that you enjoy the Farnes. It went on my list of places to visit after seeing Mr Oddie being mobbed by Arctic Terns there!

Hi Birdman,

The Roseates can be tricky on the Farnes, though the wardens usually help point them out or at least point out the best spot to wait. The better bet for them is to take a 'Puffin Cruise' from Amble round Coquet Island; if the trip coincides with high tide, the boatman'll take you in to within a few yards of the Roseate nestboxes, and they're impossible to miss.

Otherwise, just at the moment, there's a Great White Egret at Longhirst Flash and a White-winged Tern at East Chevington, but whether they'll still be around then is unlikely.

Michael

Thanks Michael,

Actually, I've put all of my sea-bird eggs in the all-day basket, so I hope I'll strike lucky with the Roseates.

Partnyorsha is definitely pro-birding, but two trips on the water I think is asking just a bit too much!

Andrew, very nearly used Devon Bash as a reason for a trip down your way, but in the end it was just a bit too far for a three night stay.

Hi Birdman,

In that case, for at least one of the other days, I'd recommend a trip to the Harthope Valley in the Cheviots (if you'll have a car with you?) - Redstart, Whinchat, Wheatear, Tree & Meadow Pipits, Ring Ouzel, Dipper, Raven, Peregrine, Buzzard, etc, etc, etc.

Another day, go to Holy Island, combine some culture (castle, priory) with a look at the Lough for ducks, grebes, etc, and over the mudflats for waders (tho' late June isn't the best time of year for good wader numbers)

Oh, and do remember hats for the Farnes. Something fairly well padded. Essential, or the Arctic Terns will leave your scalp a bloodied mess (no joking, they hit quite hard with very sharp beaks - have fun watching the forgetful folk running for cover). Warm clothes, too, the sea temperature in late June is about +11°C, so even on a hot sunny day on land, it'll be a lot colder at sea.

1389MPF-Farnes.JPG

Michael

oh well .... I tried ..... lol

Seriously though, some interesting notes on an area I've never been to. Filed for possible future use !

Let us know how you get on Birdman.

Hi nirofo.

I'm a big fan of Scotland.

Although it's been a while since I've been close to Dornoch, I have been all the way to "the top", from John O'Groats in the east (hasn't everyone!) to Durness and Smoo Cave in the west.

I must own up though, and say that apart from Loch Garten/Rothiemurchas and the Insh Marshes, I haven't done any "proper" birding North of the Border.

However, next time we're up that way, you can expect a pm from me for some gen!

If you dont connect with the Roseate Terns at the other sites the rocks at St Marys Island, Whitley Bay would be a good bet.
Other Northumbrian sites include The Druridge Bay reserves of Hauxley, Chevington Reedbeds, Druridge Pools and Cresswell Pond, All Northumbrian Widlife Trust Reserves,you can get info on them at there website.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed - and a belated "thanks" to Steve, who was the first to suggest Nourthumberland.

Just gonna do a quick Google on Harthope, while partnyorsha packs, then gather some books and optics together for an early(ish) start tomorrow.

Gonna call in at Allenbanks on the way up, Farnes on Weds, see what happens Thurs, and back home Fri - hopefully with tales to tell!!!

TTFN

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back