• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crow-billed Drongo? Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo (1 Viewer)

dixonlau

Malaysia
Date: 9-Jan-2022

Is this Crow-billed Drongo? The forked tailed are very long but not long enough to be Black Drongo? The bill also looks quite bold and thick.

Not sure if all the photos are same bird.

Thanks.

PIC-20220109-100556-DSC00427-A7R3.JPG

PIC-20220109-100636-DSC00436-A7R3.JPG

PIC-20220109-101221-DSC00597-A7R3.JPG

Hi, I was thinking the second photo was a bronzed drongo, with the black cheek and the third is a crow billed drongo, Not sure about #1.
But there are many on here with much more expertise than I so you should probably not check your list just on my guess:)
steve

Hi, I was thinking the second photo was a bronzed drongo, with the black cheek and the third is a crow billed drongo, Not sure about #1.
But there are many on here with much more expertise than I so you should probably not check your list just on my guess:)
steve
Thank you for additional possibility, Bronzed Drongo. I have never seen either Bronzed or Crow-billed. Both pretty new for me to ID. Often seen Racket-tailed and Square-tailed. There maybe 2nd drongo in the view I am looking at. Can't be sure because one off, then back and sometimes off and found in nearby tree (could be another drongo).

All Greater Racket-tailed Drongo - the same bird in fact. Notice the outermost tail feathers are pinned, these would be rounded in all other drongo species, it's just missing its rackets. Also, huge bill would discount Bronzed.
Crow-billed is actually a very rare visitor to Borneo - try finding a confirmed photo of one from the island in recent years. There are a few specimens however. The main identification issue is that the race of GRTD on Borneo has a dark, not red eye, unlike mainland Asia.

James

All Greater Racket-tailed Drongo - the same bird in fact. Notice the outermost tail feathers are pinned, these would be rounded in all other drongo species, it's just missing its rackets. Also, huge bill would discount Bronzed.
Crow-billed is actually a very rare visitor to Borneo - try finding a confirmed photo of one from the island in recent years. There are a few specimens however. The main identification issue is that the race of GRTD on Borneo has a dark, not red eye, unlike mainland Asia.

James
Thanks James.

In reference to Phillipps Field Guide (Greater Racket-tailed Drongo at Phillipps Field Guide by PHILLIPPS, Field Guide - Borneo Bird Images), GRTD mentioned 40% have no rackets. I missed that.

However, would like to double check with you, does the forked tail could grow long as of this bird posted above? Because based on my several previous sighting of this GRTD, the forked tail not so long.

These were taken in separate days
PIC-20211029-075553-DSC00324-A7R3.JPG PIC-20211101-074829-DSC00620-A7R3.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back