• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuckoos (2 Viewers)

Sancho

Europe
I've never heard as many cuckoos calling as this year. And in places I haven't heard them before. Is this because a) there are more cuckoos, or b) the normal number of cuckoos are calling more? (I've discounted the possibility that it is one highly mobile cuckoo).

Personally I feel that they are really struggling and numbers are down generally T least jere in South Yorkshire. I haven't had one on my local patch this year and only managed a brief flyby last year. There are still birds where there were decent numbers in recent years but in lower numbers it seems. It was nice to see at least 3 birds showing well at Spurn the other day tho.

I wonder if there is some kind of population drift, Andy? Is it possible that your cuckoos are drifting North and West, and ending up here? I read an interesting article today someplace about tracking migrations that mentioned a drift.

I had a cuckoo on my local patch for the first time and counted around 4-5 at fingringho. For me it also feels as if they have increased in numbers.

A Definite increase locally (NELondon),none summering for perhaps 30 years, then several over the last 4 years.
Indeed….the only increasing tran-Saharan that I can name, as to whether this apparent increase continues only time will tell.

Like all bird species, they too are decreasing, lately, I have heard them getting closer and closer to an urban centre because the birds in the woods are less and less

Where are you hearing them Eanna? Good news if populations are increasing but can't say I've noticed a difference this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back