• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Curio 7x21 alternative strap? (1 Viewer)

laurencejackson

I have just ordered the curios, but Ive read that the supplied strap is not the best. Can anyone point me in the direction of a better more comfortable strap please, either swear or third party. Thanks!
Laurence

The supplied strap is fine. The binoculars weigh next to nothing. I don't use a neck strap at all. I carry them in my pocket, or in use I just hold them in my hand. I have a home made wriststrap I use for safety sake or to let them dangle if I need to use both hands to open a gate or something.

I would see how you get on with the supplied strap and how you actually use the binoculars before accessorising them.

The supplied strap is fine. The binoculars weigh next to nothing. I don't use a neck strap at all. I carry them in my pocket, or in use I just hold them in my hand. I have a home made wriststrap I use for safety sake or to let them dangle if I need to use both hands to open a gate or something.

I would see how you get on with the supplied strap and how you actually use the binoculars before accessorising them.
+1.

The supplied strap is more than adequate and small/light enough to wrap around the bino's and stuff them in a pocket/sack. If anything it is the oft complained about position of the attaching points on the Curio's as they tend to hang the bino's forward but it doesn't bother me at all.

Good advice from @Mono, try it first and see how you get on.

I have experimented with the Rick Young Harness, which I have fitted to some of my other bino's, but frankly it was too big to wrap around and a PIA over the supplied strap.

I do have the Peak Design wrist strap but a Leki pole in one hand and a Rottweiler in the other means the neck strap is the order of the day.

With binoculars like the Curio and even the 8x25 CL I never use a neck strap, just a wrist strap intended for a compact camera

Ok, thanks for all the replies. I guess I should be patient and actually see how the original works :). I have a pair of Nikon 10x25 HGL and I hate the strap for that...which prompted my question. Hopefully I'll get the curios tomorrow!

Curio 7x21 alternative strap
The perfect strap for me is the one that comes stock with the little Ultravids. Absolute smallest strap possible without going to a shoestring, and I use it for cross shoulder carry, which eliminates any concern over the misplaced attachment points.

Ok, thanks for all the replies. I guess I should be patient and actually see how the original works :). I have a pair of Nikon 10x25 HGL and I hate the strap for that...which prompted my question. Hopefully I'll get the curios tomorrow!
Laurence,

If your plan is to use a neck strap, adjust it long enough to experiment with stowing the Curios in a shirt or inside coat or vest pocket when carrying. The sturdy OEM Curio strap can then be used to quickly pull them out and deploy them, no need to reach into the pocket with your fingers. If you are inclined you can dispense with ocular covers using this method as well.

The perfect strap for me is the one that comes stock with the little Ultravids. Absolute smallest strap possible without going to a shoestring, and I use it for cross shoulder carry, which eliminates any concern over the misplaced attachment points.

Trinovid,

Agree 100%. Now if only the UV pocket strap could be had as an accessory.....

Mike

You could just use paracord and if necessary keyrings to attach to the eyelets if the paracord is too thick to go through.

Actually I have those Ultravids, but I prefer the slightly springy shoestring one that came with the Trinovids x20, and got an extra one for my Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25. Tiny but it still has quick-detach clips.

Oh boy, these are great aren't they? Very comfortable with and without glasses and more neutral than my Nikon 10x25 HGL. I've already ordered the optician ocular/objective caps...And the strap seems pretty comfortable so far!

Actually I have those Ultravids, but I prefer the slightly springy shoestring one that came with the Trinovids x20…
A springy strap is one thing I can’t stand, and so the Ultravid strap is perfect, not to mention also wider, but without bulkiness. This is a good representation of why people really need to take into account what will work best for them when getting advice from other users.

Actually I have those Ultravids, but I prefer the slightly springy shoestring one that came with the Trinovids x20, and got an extra one for my Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25. Tiny but it still has quick-detach clips.
Me too, I like it that you can easily detach the strap.

A springy strap is one thing I can’t stand, and so the Ultravid strap is perfect, not to mention also wider, but without bulkiness. This is a good representation of why people really need to take into account what will work best for them when getting advice from other users.
To each his own indeed. Springiness makes for an apparent reduction in weight which is why so many camera straps are made of neoprene.

One non-elastic strap I like very much is a kumihimo braided silk ribbon one made by Artisan & Artist of Japan, that I keep on my Leica M11. Unfortunately it has ring connectors and is thus unsuitable fr the Ultravids.

To each his own indeed. Springiness makes for an apparent reduction in weight which is why so many camera straps are made of neoprene.
One non-elastic strap I like very much is a kumihimo braided silk ribbon one made by Artisan & Artist of Japan...
It's particularly the springiness and lack of solidity that I don't like about stretchy straps, especially because of how quickly I tend to move most of the time. I'm lucky to have found my perfect small binocular strap in the minimalist Ultravid strap and wish I could buy a couple more from the people that don't care for them!

It's particularly the springiness and lack of solidity that I don't like about stretchy straps, especially because of how quickly I tend to move most of the time. I'm lucky to have found my perfect small binocular strap in the minimalist Ultravid strap and wish I could buy a couple more from the people that don't care for them!
Just call Leica Service in New Jersey and ask them for a spare. That's what I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back