• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

curio 7x21 close focus (1 Viewer)

Wolf Beam

I will buy the curios immediately if Swarovski update them with a 1.5m close focus.
In my view that is needed in a bino for allround nature observations. Being able to watch critters or flowers on the ground right in front of you.

Are there any technical reasons for the present close focus of 2.5 m? The Kowa Genesis 8x22 with a 1.5m close focus is bulkier for example.

I really don't think there is a bulkiness/close focus trade off. But would be good to know.

Wolf

I totally agree with you. I will even go as far to claim for an allround lover of fauna and flora, so not just birding, close focus is even a more important feature than field of view (that's more a viewing comfort thing). With compacts, due to that, I'm more leaning to Ultravid or Kowa than Curio.

The UV has a reported 1,75m close focus but is closer in size to the Curio than the Kowa Genesis. A small Zeiss Conquest 8x32 has a very close focus, while larger 32s have a less close focus. So it's not just size.

I will buy the curios immediately if Swarovski update them with a 1.5m close focus.
In my view that is needed in a bino for allround nature observations. Being able to watch critters or flowers on the ground right in front of you.

Are there any technical reasons for the present close focus of 2.5 m? The Kowa Genesis 8x22 with a 1.5m close focus is bulkier for example.

I really don't think there is a bulkiness/close focus trade off. But would be good to know.

Wolf
One idea for you to try for up-close observation is to reverse the binocular optics in your hands. Looking through the objective with the eyepiece nearest the object you wish to view close up may give additional viewing pleasure at close focus distances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back