• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D.I.Y. Leica "Retrovid" 7x35 focussing improvement. (1 Viewer)

HertsPhil

When Leica brought out the original 7x35 BA in the 60' s I purchased the rubber covered version and for years it was my go to binocular for all applications. Over the long period I had them, for me they were the perfect binocular. This apart from the focussing knob. After a long day in the field birdwatching or viewing sport that hard edged wheel made the index finger quite sore. Eventually they were replaced with better performing binoculars.
When Leica introduced the new 7x35 Trinovid I was tempted, despite the same metal focussing wheel, and eventually purchased an as new pair from a forum member. The view was in my opinion wonderful and I would say here I do not look for chromatic aberrations unstraight lines etc just the overall impact the glass provides plus the ergonomic factor. That focussing wheel was just as poor as ever. All I needed was the correct size rubber ring which I found on Ebay. O rings 25mm x 3mm for the princely sum of £2.25 inc postage for two. They are a good fit on the focussing wheel and much kinder to the finger. In fact they have transformed the focussing which is slightly higher geared and much more comfortable. A little care is need when handling but overall it works well. Maybe some owners of the glass might find that useful.

Last edited:
That's great. Can you post a link to the one you bought?
Hope they work for you.
That's great. Can you post a link to the one you bought?

Did this hack today. I have a Retrovid 7x35 with a very even focuser. I put two 25mm gaskets over the focuser and was amazed at the transformation - the focuser feels a lot smoother in action than before. Works very well and does not look too shabby.

Attachments

• F0E1591B-270D-41C8-8B7D-243226BB220B.jpeg
    F0E1591B-270D-41C8-8B7D-243226BB220B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 157
Did this hack today. I have a Retrovid 7x35 with a very even focuser. I put two 25mm gaskets over the focuser and was amazed at the transformation - the focuser feels a lot smoother in action than before. Works very well and does not look too shabby.
HenRun,

That is a fantastic idea. I never had an issue with the metal focuser because it is very smooth and light, but I rarely use them for more than an hour or two. I had to try this. Looks like it came right from the factory that way, I like it. I’m not sure if I like it more than the stock focuser. 🙃 It does have a tendency to come off when I put in back in its pouch.

Attachments

• A52EED17-75EA-4784-B677-F37AC784C8A8.jpeg
    A52EED17-75EA-4784-B677-F37AC784C8A8.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 54
  • 3360BC77-D85B-4090-BAEC-9FA7B83F87F1.jpeg
    3360BC77-D85B-4090-BAEC-9FA7B83F87F1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
  • 7AD2801A-8C0F-4FE0-9FCD-3DDC6A9BD53B.jpeg
    7AD2801A-8C0F-4FE0-9FCD-3DDC6A9BD53B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 58
  • 42830D0E-F459-461B-A899-A493E020AF8A.jpeg
    42830D0E-F459-461B-A899-A493E020AF8A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
  • 188B9D77-45A1-49A5-A451-42D5AE4C43D6.jpeg
    188B9D77-45A1-49A5-A451-42D5AE4C43D6.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 57
As an FYI for those that uses standard measurement instead of metric, the 15/16 inch O-ring gasket is the 25mm equivalent. This hack also worked on my 10x40 Retrovid so I'm assuming the focusing knob is the same size throughout the Retrovid line.

As an FYI for those that uses standard measurement instead of metric, the 15/16 inch O-ring gasket is the 25mm equivalent. This hack also worked on my 10x40 Retrovid so I'm assuming the focusing knob is the same size throughout the Retrovid line.
I loved the idea and gave it a good try. First using just one o-ring over the focuser, then two. It gave a nice tactile feel, different, but not sure if better. I enjoy the focuser either way. The issue that I had with it is that it/they, wouldn’t stay in place on the focuser knob. Every time I put the binoculars in, or took it out of its carry bag they came undone. To make this a permanent improvement would mean you would have to use some kind of adhesive. And I’m not willing to do that in the event overtime I want to go back to the stock grooved focuser.

But I like it.

This is a poor idea. The Leica Trinovid Classic does things just fine without a mod. like this, it seems the idea does not
work very well as just mentioned.
Leica excels in design, this binocular is another example, so just enjoy the binocular. There are many other choices on
the market today.
Jerry

This is a poor idea. The Leica Trinovid Classic does things just fine without a mod. like this, it seems the idea does not
Leica excels in design, this binocular is another example, so just enjoy the binocular. There are many other choices on
the market today.
Jerry

It would seem that all 7 posters appear to deem the focuser to be less than ideal or they all wouldn't be jacking around trying to improve what obviously in their mind is something in need of improvement.

That is why I mentioned there are lots of other choices out there. As in, take it or leave it.....
I have the Leica 7x35, and really like it, as do most all users.....
Jerry

the market today.
Jerry
On the contrary I think it is a great idea. The binocular does not do fine without a mod. I have dry hands and the focuser ribbing slips on my fingers. I love the esthetic design and the optics.

My rubber gaskets stay put. I took them off yesterday as it is getting warmer and the focuser is now almost too smooth, a bit lax. When I took off the rubber rings the focuser was much worse and I had to apply too much pressure for the focuser to be enjoyable as my fingers were slipping.

Rubber rings back on and it runs incredibly smooth.

I cannot defend a poor focuser. In regards to the competition Leica does not ”excel” in this department, I would say they are below average for the class.

If such a simple hack makes the binocular more enjoyable - why should I move along to something else?

A very strange mindset to discard a simple solution that improves the function for some people, for me definitely. As a craftsman I see it as a given thing to improve on the little things as well. 🤓

Writing this on the newly built viewing deck, morning coffee and the 7x35 at the ready. Lazy Sunday.

Also I got some slight kidney beaning with the ocular shroud all the way in. And the next stop is way off. Instead of discarding the bino as useless for me I put a silicone spacer in place and the distance is now perfect for me and my glasses and zero hunting for intermediary ocular placement.

So discreet even the sales rep did not notice them when I brought it to the store to pick up the fancy Leica leather strap I ordered for the Retrovid. It is for a Leica camera, but fits the bino well for me. Since the Retrovid is a shelf ornament when not in use I prefer a wrist strap over a neck strap.

Attachments

• 99FAEBC2-F778-4DBF-8B95-536F46A7F513.jpeg
    99FAEBC2-F778-4DBF-8B95-536F46A7F513.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 45
  • DA202820-45F9-4467-820F-4188D6AEAC60.jpeg
    DA202820-45F9-4467-820F-4188D6AEAC60.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
On the contrary I think it is a great idea. The binocular does not do fine without a mod. I have dry hands and the focuser ribbing slips on my fingers. I love the esthetic design and the optics.

My rubber gaskets stay put. I took them off yesterday as it is getting warmer and the focuser is now almost too smooth, a bit lax. When I took off the rubber rings the focuser was much worse and I had to apply too much pressure for the focuser to be enjoyable as my fingers were slipping.

Rubber rings back on and it runs incredibly smooth.

I cannot defend a poor focuser. In regards to the competition Leica does not ”excel” in this department, I would say they are below average for the class.

If such a simple hack makes the binocular more enjoyable - why should I move along to something else?

A very strange mindset to discard a simple solution that improves the function for some people, for me definitely. As a craftsman I see it as a given thing to improve on the little things as well. 🤓

Writing this on the newly built viewing deck, morning coffee and the 7x35 at the ready. Lazy Sunday.
I think it’s, to each his own on this modification. I have to agree with Jerry here, the focuser on my 735 is butter smooth and probably better than the four other Leica’s I own, it’s very similar to my noctivids except slower, which I think are one of the best in the business.

Two points that were made that led me to try it & why you see it as an improvement. Your statement (I believe it was you) said that under long duration observing the focus wheel ribs were irritating your finger. The other that the o-ring makes the wheel smoother.

I found the focus wheel has better grip without the o-ring when my hands are a little sweaty. I think considering this post that it’s possible you have a defective focuser. It should be light, smooth , no play , no stiction or any binding. If it does have any of those traits I can see how it would become irritating over time and the mod would help. But it really shouldn’t need it. IMHO.

just sitting at my window with a cup of joe as you, enjoying the asphalt jungle.

PAUL

Attachments

• F56B6195-B5A5-42E8-8207-561095754822.jpeg
    F56B6195-B5A5-42E8-8207-561095754822.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 21
I hope you enjoyed your cup!

I did not mean to come off as trying to force any opinion and to each his own.

My fingers are smooth and superdry (from work) so I need a good ribbing to get them optical helicoids moving. 🤓

I don’t think it is a credit to Leica that their focusers have such a spread. My Retrovid was the only one in the shop (out of four) that had a smooth focuser. The best of the lot.

When I was out with my windstopper gloves I could not operate the focuser on the Retrovid, the gloves were not gaining traction on the metal wheel and were slipping on the ribbing/rifling.

This would be a dealbreaker for me normally as the binocular is cold with the exposed metal.

I do think the Retrovid is a beautiful classic shape and optically very sound. I am not one of those who always enjoy a challenge but I am used to modifying stuff on a regular basic: tools, furniture, loudspeakers and coffee machines.

If there is a way to overcome a design flaw I am happy to do it. Sometimes it isn’t worth the time nor effort and I am better off getting something else. In the case of the bino it was (for me) a working solution to a ”real” problem.

More often than not I end up customizing stuff - and building solutions is part of my work as a woodworker running a workshop, working with almost all materials, plastic, rubber, fabric, wood and metal.

I am always glad to see small hacks that work - but I understand not everyone needs it.

I've gone back to using the bins without the mod. The rings started slipping and their smoother surface wasn't as good as the grippiness of the original. And then, the last straw, the rings started slipping off the wheel. Like others here, I'm not prepared to glue them in place.

Hmm, are we using same diameter gaskets? Mine are still going strong with daily use. Not hours on end, but daily use.
I would not glue anything to my Retrovids either.

My gaskets are flat, not rounded and slightly less than 25mm.

Hmm, are we using same diameter gaskets? Mine are still going strong with daily use. Not hours on end, but daily use.
I would not glue anything to my Retrovids either.

My gaskets are flat, not rounded and slightly less than 25mm.
That’s absolutely true, mine were rounded and that can definitely hinder the original idea of the mod and hinder it’s success. I did get the exact size you indicated in your OP of 25mm. Do they make any o-rings just under 25mm, that would have to be a very small decrease.

As far as the idea, even if it was to stay in place I’m not convinced it’s an improvement, just a different feel. Not better or worse, just different. The thing is, the focuser is so good on mine and the metal wheel with the nicely machined grooves feel good, at least to me.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back