• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D400 can't be far behind (1 Viewer)

You know it might not be much cop for birding but I'm loving the red body! Who knew a DSLR could be sexy. :-O

I just hope the D400 isn't going to be a FF camera, but if Nikon were going to put a D7000 sensor or a sony 24MP sensor in a D300 body, wouldn't they have done so long ago? I fear the D7100 may become the top range camera on DX format, and the semi-pro-body a thing of the past.

I just hope the D400 isn't going to be a FF camera, but if Nikon were going to put a D7000 sensor or a sony 24MP sensor in a D300 body, wouldn't they have done so long ago? I fear the D7100 may become the top range camera on DX format, and the semi-pro-body a thing of the past.

Well, I dunno, all speculation really. Nikon still missing that $2000 camera between D7000 and D800, makes no sense to not have one in that bracket, and honestly, as good as the D700 is it is not the answer, for us birders anyway. I think Nikon is gonna realease a beast of a pro DX body sooner than later. Drool factor only, 51 autofocus points, 24Mpix, Matrix metering from the D800/ D4, 8 to 10 fps etc etc.....

Keep on hoping.

Regards

Well I decided to buy a Canon 1DMk1V which offers what I want and is the nearest body to the D4 with similar qualities other than ISO performance from what I can see.A used model with 1450 actuations was half the price though.
I decided the 600mm f4IS that I acquired at an exceptional price is as good as it gets for birding so it deserved a good body to go with it.
I'll wait for the D400 and see what it offers if and when it arrives and if it's not in the near future I may way decide to abandon Nikon all together despite having a range of their quality glass.
I might be open to swops after all Jaff !

Not as exciting, but I decided to buy a used D300s to replace my ailing D300. If the D400 does arrive as a pro-spec DX crop camera, then I'll probably sell the D300s. However I think there's a good chance that it will be an entry level FX camera. At least I'm not waiting for it any longer.

Well I decided to buy a Canon 1DMk1V which offers what I want and is the nearest body to the D4 with similar qualities other than ISO performance from what I can see.A used model with 1450 actuations was half the price though.
I decided the 600mm f4IS that I acquired at an exceptional price is as good as it gets for birding so it deserved a good body to go with it.
I'll wait for the D400 and see what it offers if and when it arrives and if it's not in the near future I may way decide to abandon Nikon all together despite having a range of their quality glass.
I might be open to swops after all Jaff !

I'm afraid your a little late for that Dave as I've decided to stick with Canon after all. Now if you'd like a nice pro Nikon body though... ;)

resurrecting the thread for a while, if Nikon rumours is accurate seems the next Nikon body will be another FX body the D600. Has the bell tolled for DX bodies except for entry level consumer variants?
Cant see any more bodies being released this year after this or can we?
D4, D800(e) D600? wot no D400

The D600, if the specs rumoured are correct , has no appeal to me whatsoever.
Maybe the future for higher end DX is combined in an FX body with crop options like the D800 . The marketeers probably feel they can tempt the enthusiastic amateur like me to part with more cash that way.
It seems Canon are following a similar path as the rumours suggest they are not going to replace the 7D either.

Agree Dave if I had the pennies today I would plump for the D800e, 17M pixels at 1.2x crop is about as good as I could hope for, and a full frame when needed

Agree Dave if I had the pennies today I would plump for the D800e, 17M pixels at 1.2x crop is about as good as I could hope for, and a full frame when needed

Ah but, ISO 800 isn't that conducive to UK weather/light, 5 fps is a bit too slow for some occasions, the files are huge which means you need more storage and processing capability.The body isn't built like a brick and it isn't what I really want which is a D4 version for enthusiasts and not pro's who's needs are probably more high tech than mine.

Has the bell tolled for DX bodies except for entry level consumer variants?

I think there may be a D7000 replacement, but maybe not. Looking at new lens offerings in the last couple years, there's not much for a DX pro/enthusiast. All the DX lens offerings have been pretty down-market.

I would almost be less surprised by an up-market CX mount mirrorless body, (Nikon 1 V2, anyone?) than I would be in a DX D400.

I think for bird photographers, about all we can hope for is decent high ISO performance and lots of crop-ability in FX bodies. At least it's easier to keep the little buggers in the viewfinder.

Jim

Steve it's even better than that. In 1.2 crop it puts 25 mpx in the frame. Similar to a Canon 1D mk4. I think the difference between the D800 and the D800e is marginal for birds as it is difficult to lock down sufficiently in the field to see a difference. I am very happy with non e version and haven't begun to explore using the 1.2 or full frame crop yet. Maybe when the Nikon pipeline is flowing amazon will sell them again for £2099.

Steve it's even better than that. In 1.2 crop it puts 25 mpx in the frame. Similar to a Canon 1D mk4. I think the difference between the D800 and the D800e is marginal for birds as it is difficult to lock down sufficiently in the field to see a difference. I am very happy with non e version and haven't begun to explore using the 1.2 or full frame crop yet. Maybe when the Nikon pipeline is flowing amazon will sell them again for £2099.

The 1DMk1V is 16mp similar to the D4 but is a 1.3 crop . It's really well constructed so ideal for outdoor use, 10fps and reasonable higher ISO performance, certainly fine at 1600. Using it is fairly intuitive and most things are easier than my D300s with the exception of changing f stops.
I wish Nikon had a similar body at a similar price too.

The D400 (or D300 replacement) would have been perfect for me, but I no longer expect to see it. The D300s has been out of production now since feb, with no replacement in sight. And even the D300s was really a D300 with a few more bells and whistles, and that came out in 2007. But this hasn't hurt Nikon's sales, so I don't expect any change. As the D2xs was the last pro DX camera, I think the D300s will be the last semi-pro one.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back