• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dark grey finch East Lothian (1 Viewer)

Softsurf

Scotland
Hello
New visitor to my bird table this morning and I'm struggling to I.d. suspect it's a juvenile of something or an oddly coloured local variant?
It's definitely a finch. Sparrow/chaffinch size.
Dark grey everywhere( darker than dunnock head - lighter than blackbird)apart from lower belly which is light buff.
Short pale - greenfinch like beak and it seems to chomp at the seeds a bit.
Orange/reddish legs and feet.
No discernable flash or markings on wings whilst on ground. Haven't had a good look at it in flight.
White/light edges each side of tail.
I'm surrounded by farmland with mixed woodland within 1 mile. 4 miles from sea. Have all common finches regularly (chaffinch, gold, green, occasional bullfinch)
Any ideas please?
Thank you.
Andy
Sorry-no pic.

Hello
New visitor to my bird table this morning and I'm struggling to I.d. suspect it's a juvenile of something or an oddly coloured local variant?
It's definitely a finch. Sparrow/chaffinch size.
Dark grey everywhere( darker than dunnock head - lighter than blackbird)apart from lower belly which is light buff.
Short pale - greenfinch like beak and it seems to chomp at the seeds a bit.
Orange/reddish legs and feet.
No discernable flash or markings on wings whilst on ground. Haven't had a good look at it in flight.
White/light edges each side of tail.
I'm surrounded by farmland with mixed woodland within 1 mile. 4 miles from sea. Have all common finches regularly (chaffinch, gold, green, occasional bullfinch)
Any ideas please?
Thank you.
Andy
Sorry-no pic.
Could be a female linnet

I've seen pictures of Greenfinch in a very particular stage of moulting where the overall appearance is grey, and the wing markings are almost non-existent. Just putting it out there...

If I was fanciful, I might suggest you look at Dark-eyed Junco.
A North American species that is not unknown over here (albeit rarely). 👍
Jeez., just googled this and very similar. Don't recall the white under tail though, hopefully it'll be back. It did have very dark eyes. Like greenfinch.
Thank you.

I've seen pictures of Greenfinch in a very particular stage of moulting where the overall appearance is grey, and the wing markings are almost non-existent. Just putting it out there...
Thank you. It's definitely built like a greenfinch but in monochrome. More likely down here than the Junco unfortunately.
Don't have a zoom on my camera but will try and enhance on my laptop and post picture later.
Many thanks
Andy

Hi Andy and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we try to meet up occasionally and they're always great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Andy and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

All things Scottish can be found here. Also, keep an eye on threads titled something like Scottish Bashes; we try to meet up occasionally and they're always great fun. You'd be most welcome to join us on another if you can manage.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thank you. Im really just trying to keep up with my garden visitors. If I manage to post the pics it'll either be very exciting or an anticlimax !

So hereis my newest visitor - doesn't appear with the greenfinches but is hanging out with my resident gang of tree sparrows. Though he behaves more like a dunnock - stays at ground level.
What do you think - juvenile or hybrid finch.... or exotic junco !!!

Attachments

• DSCF6728 (2).JPG
    DSCF6728 (2).JPG
    87 KB · Views: 113
  • DSCF6733 (2).JPG
    DSCF6733 (2).JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCF6735 (2).JPG
    DSCF6735 (2).JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 114
Thanks - this is a pic off the internet and I'm as sure as an amateur can be that this is my bird
View attachment 1388498
copyright Scott Martin Macaulay Library
Andy, to give you an idea of how rare this species is in UK, this would probably be around the 40th record or something like that!

Well done, and well done to Ken!

Stu

Dark-eyed Junco was my first thought too on reading the description - albeit also having to rule out the other commoner and much more likely options also mentioned! Nice one!

Presumably not a bad date?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back