• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dark "Heron/Egret" near Jambiani in Zanzibar - June 2023 (1 Viewer)

Was thinking Black Headed Heron - but the yellow feet don't match.
Nor does much else: neck, underparts.
If I believe the book, it's a dark-morph little egret (amount of yellow on tarsus, viz. none). But this little egret/reef heron/dimorphic egret complex seems to be a bit of a conundrum.

Dark phase little egret. Yellow of feet restricted to just the feet, doesn't extend up legs. (What even is a dimorphic egret? Sounds a dodgy taxon to me. One of the Wikipedia pics of it, and the headline ebird image of the form have the yellow restricted as here---but Fanshawe &c say more extensive yellow is the id criterion)

Looking at African bird club images labelled "dimorphic egret" shows a variety of extents of yellow on the feet. This ref:

Suggests (contrary Fanshawe et al) that the yellow doesn't always extend up the leg in dimorphic.

I also point to the useful discussion here:

Ultimately I'm left reinforced in my view this isn't a separate species and is only somewhat different to little egret, sometimes. I don't take any unequivocal id characters which distinguish dimorphic from others in all cases

Dark phase little egret. Yellow of feet restricted to just the feet, doesn't extend up legs. (What even is a dimorphic egret? Sounds a dodgy taxon to me. One of the Wikipedia pics of it, and the headline ebird image of the form have the yellow restricted as here---but Fanshawe &c say more extensive yellow is the id criterion)
Check your IOC checklist where it is listed, the whole taxonomy is murky though and eBird has it as Little (Dimorphic).The bird looks like the Madagascar ones....

Check your IOC checklist where it is listed, the whole taxonomy is murky though and eBird has it as Little (Dimorphic).The bird looks like the Madagascar ones....
The links I included give a basic overview of the taxonomic history and controversy. Perhaps there's been some more recent work but if so it's not obvious.

Basically, I can't see anything either in the descriptions or in images which definitively rules out dark phase little egret when the yellow on the feet is as restricted as here. The fact that these birds look like other birds (in Madagascar) doesn't help as there must be equal doubt about their status (and in any case still doesn't rule out dark phase little in this case)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back