• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dark Pewee? (1 Viewer)

ana maria

United States
I took these images on the way to Poás Volcano, Costa Rica last week, I´m not sure about Dark Pewee, if anyone can help me with the ID please.

Ana María.--------------- http://www.flickr.com/photos/ana_arauz/

Attachments

• P3153623-001.JPG
    P3153623-001.JPG
    337.9 KB · Views: 51
  • P3153626-001.JPG
    P3153626-001.JPG
    302 KB · Views: 48
  • P3153721-001.JPG
    P3153721-001.JPG
    287.6 KB · Views: 60
  • P3153727-001.JPG
    P3153727-001.JPG
    322.6 KB · Views: 36
Ana María -
¡Hola!

I don't think Dark Pewee for this bird, as the underparts are not solidly dark enough, in my opinion. I think it is some sort of pewee (Contopus sp.); however, I recognize that these are hard to distiguish one from the other, especially without a vocalization to back up the ID.
If I saw this at home, I would call it an Olive-sided Flycatcher; I note that CR gets them in migration, but I don't know about how similar the other candidates you might have down there are to that species.

My best guess would be a Dark Pewee. The orange of the lower bill fits both species but the chest/belly color and the bill size seem better for the Pewee. I've almost always seen the Olive-sided perched at or very near the top of a tree, if that helps. Just my very humble opinion! Possibly Patrick will weigh in.

Steve

I think the bill of this bird is clearly too small for either of the larger Dark or Olive-sided Pewee. There are also plumage details that do not match well. The most probable option is Tropical Pewee I think, but maybe either of the Wood-Pewees is also possible.

I tend to agree with KGS if considering the white wing edging. Maybe a lighting issue that makes the chest seem overly dark. Don't you just love flycatchers?!

Steve

Wood-pewee species for me, maybe a Western. Dark Pewee is darker overall and lacks wingbars among other features. Olive-sided would show distinctive dark flanks on white underparts and shorter tail.

Elevation, posture, and rather gray plumage makes me feel like the bird is probably a Western Wood-pewee but without hearing it vocalize, I'm not going to give it any 100% ID.

Thanks to everyone, I´m back in El Salvador,after spending two weeks in Costa Rica.
Yes, flycatchers are difficult to ID.In my Flickr Gallery there is a photo of Yellow-bellied Flycatcher I don´t know if I´m rigth with the ID, I´ll apreciate any comments, could be a Yellow-sided Flycatcher?
Ana María.-----------------------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ana_arauz/

Wood-pewee species for me, maybe a Western. Dark Pewee is darker overall and lacks wingbars among other features. Olive-sided would show distinctive dark flanks on white underparts and shorter tail.

Elevation, posture, and rather gray plumage makes me feel like the bird is probably a Western Wood-pewee but without hearing it vocalize, I'm not going to give it any 100% ID.

Thank you Patrick!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back