• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dave's Tablet (1 Viewer)

The gifs are brilliant Dave and the whole bird scheme could be a ground breaker in bird ID - could make some dosh, eventually.
Love the hairy pic - I have a couple of even hairier ones, if I can find them.
I read (again) the white-faced plover paper (on surfbirds this time) and each time I do i am more convinced you have a seriously interesting group of birds there. What's the latest?

The gifs are brilliant Dave and the whole bird scheme could be a ground breaker in bird ID - could make some dosh, eventually.
Love the hairy pic - I have a couple of even hairier ones, if I can find them.
I read (again) the white-faced plover paper (on surfbirds this time) and each time I do i am more convinced you have a seriously interesting group of birds there. What's the latest?

Hi Tim

There are a couple of papers coming out soon - one in Birding ASIA and another in a forthcoming Forktail, so I won't put a 'spoiler' in here!

I've been a passive enjoyer of this forum over the past months - some sublime work - and an ever-fresh source of inspiration!

Cheers

Dave

Here's first stage of the Curlew Sand - fresh breeding plumage. From this I want to try to show its progress into 'full' breeding colours, then to non-breeding.

I've had the hardest job trying to get the bird to sit realistically in its setting, something to do with lighting and level of detail I think. I'm happier with it now than at first, but if anyone has suggestions for further improvements I'd appreciate them.

Even though it's supposed to be primarily an illustrative/educational piece, I'd like it to look nice too!

Thanks

Dave

Attachments

• moult sequence1h.jpg
    moult sequence1h.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 94
Here's first stage of the Curlew Sand - fresh breeding plumage. From this I want to try to show its progress into 'full' breeding colours, then to non-breeding.

I've had the hardest job trying to get the bird to sit realistically in its setting, something to do with lighting and level of detail I think. I'm happier with it now than at first, but if anyone has suggestions for further improvements I'd appreciate them.

Even though it's supposed to be primarily an illustrative/educational piece, I'd like it to look nice too!

Thanks

Dave

Perhaps a bit more definitition to the ripples aroung the feet and a dark reflection of the legs, also some softer background lighter/darker highlights on a horizontal plane behind the bird might add some depth, perhaps around the scapular height on the bird.
Wonderful image, could be a huge success for demonstrating moult in a wide variety of species, agree could be a huge winner as a digital field guide....

It's looking great already. The only real problem is, as you say, getting the bird to 'belong' with the background. It's usually a problem of differing levels of detail and the fact that anything produced on a computer lacks photographic noise that always comes with photos, digital or otherwise. A dose of noise followed by a bit of gaussian blur and a touch of desaturation usually does the trick. A little trick I often use is making a soft selection of just the edges of the pasted object and blurring those slightly more than you would expect, photographs are rarely as good as they seem!
Anyway keep us updated with progress.

Mike

It's looking great already. The only real problem is, as you say, getting the bird to 'belong' with the background. It's usually a problem of differing levels of detail and the fact that anything produced on a computer lacks photographic noise that always comes with photos, digital or otherwise. A dose of noise followed by a bit of gaussian blur and a touch of desaturation usually does the trick. A little trick I often use is making a soft selection of just the edges of the pasted object and blurring those slightly more than you would expect, photographs are rarely as good as they seem!
Anyway keep us updated with progress.

Mike

Thanks Alan, Tim and Mike,

I've been having internet connection problems for the last week, but have been cracking on with the sandpiper in the meantime. Very helpful comments on the background, which I will work on incorporating.

More soon...!

Dave

Well, here's an attempt to portray a Curlew Sand throughout the year.

I did incorporate all of Mike and Alan's suggestions, and then forgot to save them, and I can't be bothered to go through the whole process again just now! Maybe later.

Anyway, c & c welcome.

1: Fresh breeding plumage
2: Slightly more worn
3: More worn - 'Full' breeding plumage
4: Very worn breeding plumage - post breeding
5: Moulting into non-breeding plumage
6: 'Full' non- breeding plumage

and so it goes on...!

I'll put a bigger version with more notes on my blog.

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• moult-sequencebf.gif
    moult-sequencebf.gif
    187.4 KB · Views: 1,575
Wow! That's brilliant! It really doesn't matter about the bird 'sitting' in the background, it's only there as a support for the superb illustration of moult and wear. Brilliant! And the explanation of the whole process on your blog is fascinating and illuminating to boot. Which bird's next? As young Oliver said; "Please Sir, can I have some more?"

Mike

My exact thought, Nick, there's got to be someone interested in doing this.

What I've done is really very basic in terms of computah technique, and it isn't too time-consuming either, once you've mapped out the basic feather-map. Showing feather-wear using this technique is very simple, because you mimic the actual process, erasing pale fringes, darkening or lightening feathers, scuffing up edges, etc.

As for Mike's request, as the main motivation at the moment is educational, I'm planning on another Curlew Sand moving from juv plumage to maturity, to complete the cycle, and then one showing progression of flight feather moult.

Thanks

Dave

What I've done is really very basic in terms of computah technique, and it isn't too time-consuming either, once you've mapped out the basic feather-map. Showing feather-wear using this technique is very simple, because you mimic the actual process, erasing pale fringes, darkening or lightening feathers, scuffing up edges, etc.

As for Mike's request, as the main motivation at the moment is educational, I'm planning on another Curlew Sand moving from juv plumage to maturity, to complete the cycle, and then one showing progression of flight feather moult.

Thanks

Dave

Look forward to it... This is sterling stuff....

Think this is the future, only a matter of time before the CD Rom comes out and we all get to see moult sequences in gulls, raptors, etc.

Look forward to it... This is sterling stuff....

Think this is the future, only a matter of time before the CD Rom comes out and we all get to see moult sequences in gulls, raptors, etc.

Just to let you know how the juvvie is going - s-l-o-w-l-y! Got to repaint each feather on this one.

To give an idea how simple the process is, some WIP shots. First, broadly paint over the previous plumage in an appropriate background colour; second, apply a crude feather map as a guideline; third, fill in the feathers, starting with the lower ones first, so overlapping looks natural.

Only a few dozen more to go!

Dave

Attachments

• moult sequence3a.jpg
    moult sequence3a.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 110
  • moult sequence3b.jpg
    moult sequence3b.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Moult sequence3.jpg
    Moult sequence3.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 124
there's nothing better than a juv curlew sand! This is being a whole education for me.

The juv is coming along slowly. The next stage is for it to start moulting into 1st winter plumage, but it won't happen tonight!

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• moult-sequence3.gif
    moult-sequence3.gif
    242.4 KB · Views: 151
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back